Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Decatur Central (sectional 13 final)

The 2020 team has a way more impressive resume solely based on strength of schedule. It was Top 5 SOS in the country and they lost their only game by 4 points. Most these seniors were starters on that team, so I don't think they mind which team people think is better. The 2021 team only has a new QB, RB, 2 receivers, and two defensive players. 

The '96 - 2000 era were incredible teams. I'd say the undefeated 1996 might have been our best ever. 

Hard to really pinpoint best ever with our 100 years of football. The 1959-1965 football teams only lost 3 games. The '62 team was undefeated and won the "game of the decade" 2-0 against Arsenal Tech, the city's finest at the time. 

Ready for Hawks! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

2021>2020>2019

Which makes it a shame the Senior Class can't go out as 6A State Champs. Winning at the highest level could have really put a stamp on this highly talented and battle tested Senior Class. 

It's crazy, at least to me, they've played the following teams in the regular season (20-22): 

• Cincinnati Moeller
  • Cincinnati Elder ( X 2)
  • Cincinnati St. Xavier ( X 2)
  • Bishop Chatard ( X 3)
  • Louisville Trinity
  • Brefeuf Jesuit ( X 3)
  • Center Grove ( X 3)
  • Westfield ( X 2)
  • Carmel
  • Brownsburg
  • Penn ( X 2)
  • Cincinnati LaSalle ( X 2)
  • Columbus North

Yet, they have no idea what it's like to play in a 6A Playoff Game. 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

The 2020 team has a way more impressive resume solely based on strength of schedule. It was Top 5 SOS in the country and they lost their only game by 4 points. Most these seniors were starters on that team, so I don't think they mind which team people think is better. The 2021 team only has a new QB, RB, 2 receivers, and two defensive players. 

The '96 - 2000 era were incredible teams. I'd say the undefeated 1996 might have been our best ever. 

Hard to really pinpoint best ever with our 100 years of football. The 1959-1965 football teams only lost 3 games. The '62 team was undefeated and won the "game of the decade" 2-0 against Arsenal Tech, the city's finest at the time. 

Ready for Hawks! 

Great post! Those 96-2000 team...yowza.

Again, I'm not trying to make this Cathedral vs NP, because that's not even close.  

Just think some of the statements in this thread are laughable or at the very least, very pre-mature.

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

Which makes it a shame the Senior Class can't go out as 6A State Champs. Winning at the highest level could have really put a stamp on this highly talented and battle tested Senior Class. 

It's crazy, at least to me, they've played the following teams in the regular season (20-22): 

• Cincinnati Moeller
  • Bishop Chatard ( X 3)
  • Louisville Trinity
  • Brefeuf Jesuit ( X 3)
  • Center Grove ( X 3)
  • Westfield ( X 2)
  • Carmel
  • Brownsburg
  • Penn ( X 2)
  • Columbus North

Yet, They have no idea what it's like to play in a 6A Playoff Game. 

Sounds like something you should take up with the IHSAA.

Not sure how this has anything to do with the current senior class.

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

• Cincinnati Moeller
  • Bishop Chatard ( X 3)
  • Louisville Trinity
  • Brefeuf Jesuit ( X 3)
  • Center Grove ( X 3)
  • Westfield ( X 2)
  • Carmel
  • Brownsburg
  • Penn ( X 2)
  • Columbus North

Yet, They have no idea what it's like to play in a 6A Playoff Game. 

most likely the state championship was played 3 weeks ago though

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

most likely the state championship was played 3 weeks ago though

I don't know, that field hurt Cathedral just as much as Center Grove. For example, O'Neil looked sharp in the 1st half and could barely plant to throw the ball in the 2nd half. Cathedral's #2 (best DB?) slipped in the mud coming out of a break in a route when the Center Grove WR got behind him for the long TD reception. Cathedral has some sack. They'll schedule anyone. I'll admit I respect the heck out of their coaching and talent. I wouldn't expect them to win, but I could see them pulling off the upset in The Rematch.

Just now, Boilernation said:

I don't know, that field hurt Cathedral just as much as Center Grove. For example, O'Neil looked sharp in the 1st half and could barely plant to throw the ball in the 2nd half. Cathedral's #2 (best DB?) slipped in the mud coming out of a break in a route when the Center Grove WR got behind him for the long TD reception. Cathedral has some sack. They'll schedule anyone. I'll admit I respect the heck out of their coaching and talent. I wouldn't expect them to win, but I could see them pulling off the upset in The Rematch.

if "ifs and buts" were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Forgot where playing a tough regular season schedule was a pre-requisite for playing in the 6A tournament? 

You made the comment, not me.

Asking the IHSAA to play up a class is the pre-requisite.

Just now, CaptainHook said:

if "ifs and buts" were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry christmas

Ha! Until I saw how much my wife spent.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

• Cincinnati Moeller
  • Bishop Chatard ( X 3)
  • Louisville Trinity
  • Brefeuf Jesuit ( X 3)
  • Center Grove ( X 3)
  • Westfield ( X 2)
  • Carmel
  • Brownsburg
  • Penn ( X 2)
  • Columbus North

Tissue sir?

48 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Don't be obtuse. 

He's right, stop crying.  It is what it is, they go find the best competition, what has Portage and Noblesville done?

2 minutes ago, Brettlow said:

Tissue sir?

He's right, stop crying.  It is what it is, they go find the best competition, what has Portage and Noblesville done?

Pardon? Trying to determine how having the opinion that Cathedral's 2021 Class could have easily went out as #1 in Cahedral's history had they opted into 6A has somehow transitioned into crying. Interesting. 

17 minutes ago, Brettlow said:

It's crazy, at least to me

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah, my apologies.  I see your approach to supporting that claim that they could have been #1...  I misinterpreted it as you were whining about them playing up only one class from their enrollment numbers.  

9 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

Yes.  All of that is forgotten when you score 6.

I get the thought process about only scoring 6 against a undefeated (future 6A State Champion team). That CG defense wasn't giving up a lot of points (at least not their starters and many are playing this year). It also is very telling that Cathedral in 2020 was literally 1:19 (CG had no timeouts) and a 4th and 1 from handing CG their only loss. Yes probably wasn't the best play call in that situation (Cathedral RB was gaining large chunks in the 4th qtr), yes the CG defense made a great play to stop the play, and yes CG's offense made some plays to score going up 17-13 and ultimately win.

My personal opinion. 2020 Offense has been one of the better I've seen (QB dual threat, RB speed and power, WR's plenty of weapons, O-line very good). 2021 Defense has been one of the fastest defenses I have seen. 2019 was a very good football team also had a lot of youth playing (who are on the field this year. In the end they are all great football teams.

I have been impressed with the Sophomore QB O'Neil for Cathedral 170 of 277 passing 2,271 yards 27 TD 2 Int's (I could be wrong but I don't think his first Int came until week 7 possibly). Not as prolific of a runner as McCahill was but runs well when needed.

9 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Ready for Hawks! 

Great post. Been some really good Irish teams over the years. The Undefeated 96 team was really good too. Definitely can't forget the 98-2000 Irish, some good players that went on to have very good NFL careers.

15 hours ago, Dave007 said:

The defense this year makes 2021 trump.  At this point in season Irish have only have given up 83 points so far against the same if not more difficult schedule than we did in 2020, where we gave up 181 points at same point in the season (heading into Section Championship game).

You really think the 2021 Cathedral schedule is more difficult than 2020??  2020 seems like a monster of a schedule.

image.png.1e0ed4b3f8fd6f93c05d89b25687cb20.png