Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Andrean's Drayk Bowen

In the Covid 19 recruiting scenario its amazing these big time schools would offer a sophomore from a 2A school.  Its a classic case of internet/twitter self promotion ....it you don't know what I mean look it up.   This kid checks some boxes but why would an SEC school offer a scholarship valued around 200k to a kid they have never seen in person?  The NFL for years based everything on combine numbers, but many high school kids are getting offers with zero measureables.  I have seen skilled kids offered by schools that run 4.7 40's.

• Confused 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, BigBH said:

This kid checks some boxes but why would an SEC school offer a scholarship valued around 200k to a kid they have never seen in person? 

You know, when it comes to recruiting strategy, I’m willing to give the SEC schools the benefit of the doubt. They do pretty well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigBH said:

In the Covid 19 recruiting scenario its amazing these big time schools would offer a sophomore from a 2A school.  Its a classic case of internet/twitter self promotion ....it you don't know what I mean look it up.   This kid checks some boxes but why would an SEC school offer a scholarship valued around 200k to a kid they have never seen in person?  The NFL for years based everything on combine numbers, but many high school kids are getting offers with zero measureables.  I have seen skilled kids offered by schools that run 4.7 40's.

Offers mean nothing till they sign. Alabama is notorious for over offering, meaning offering more scholarship then available. 
In regards to Bowen he might be like former Andrean lb Barajas, got recruited to ND couldn’t hack it and ended up at fcs Illinois State. Or he might end up like Lonnie Jones Kentucky to 2nd round draft pick.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

“Undersized?” Kid’s only a sophomore. He’s still got some growing to do.

Kiser, Barajas, Bilal, Tranquil, Smith

Edited by DT

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Kiser, Barajas, Bilal, Tranquil, Smith

Barajas didn’t work out, and the jury’s still out on Kiser. But Bilal, Tranquil and Jaylon are in the NFL. That’s pretty good for being “undersized.” Notre Dame’s base defense is a 4-2-5 set. The 5th defensive back is actually a hybrid safety/linebacker known as a “Rover,” rather than the team’s 3rd cornerback in a traditional “nickel” set. That’s the position they all play. That’s also the position played for the last 2 seasons by Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, who will get drafted tonight in the first round, listed at 6’ 1” and only 215#.

12 hours ago, BigBH said:

His first offer came after having an impressive in person Camp in Ohio after his Freshman year, not during or after his Sophomore year, JULY 11th, to be exact.   You would know this with just a tad bit of research instead of just looking to find a way to passive agressive call out this particular kid for his twitter presence, which is what almonst every single Power 5 conference recruting cordinators/coaches rely on.    Maybe you know more about this ole recruting thing than all those teams listed in the link.   

Who you crappin?  

https://www.nwitimes.com/high-school/andreans-drayk-bowen-merrillvilles-kenneth-grant-reel-in-scholarship-offers-amid-pandemic/article_986b01e6-caf5-518b-9820-21437eb92db3.html

There have been limited chances for prep football players to showcase their talent this summer amid the coronavirus pandemic.

So, when Drayk Bowen received an invite to participate in the Underclassmen Report Elite Underclassmen Camp, the soon-to-be Andrean sophomore jumped at the chance to finally compete on the gridiron.

It didn't matter that the camp was in Ohio and only a handful of Class of 2023 athletes would be there. When Bowen arrived on July 11, he held his own among the nation's premier players and proved he belonged.

Three days later, Cincinnati offered the 6-foot-2, 205-pound outside linebacker his first Division I scholarship.

"It felt great, to be honest, that all of the work I put in was noticed by somebody," Bowen said. "I was surprised when they called coach (Chris) Skinner and wanted to talk to me. I had no clue I was on their radar or anything."

https://247sports.com/Player/Drayk-Bowen-46103028/TimelineEvents/

4648240.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50&fit=crop

July 14, 2020: Offer

Cincinnati Bearcats offer Drayk Bowen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

His first offer came after having an impressive in person Camp in Ohio after his Freshman year, not during or after his Sophomore year, JULY 11th, to be exact.   You would know this with just a tad bit of research instead of just looking to find a way to passive agressive call out this particular kid for his twitter presence, which is what almonst every single Power 5 conference recruting cordinators/coaches rely on.    Maybe you know more about this ole recruting thing than all those teams listed in the link.   

Who you crappin?  

https://www.nwitimes.com/high-school/andreans-drayk-bowen-merrillvilles-kenneth-grant-reel-in-scholarship-offers-amid-pandemic/article_986b01e6-caf5-518b-9820-21437eb92db3.html

https://247sports.com/Player/Drayk-Bowen-46103028/TimelineEvents/

4648240.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50&fit=crop

July 14, 2020: Offer

Cincinnati Bearcats offer Drayk Bowen

why would I research when some wanna be scrub from Rensselaer is around to correct me?

• Kill me now 1

My Bad.  I mistaken you for someone who was in tuned to 2021 landscape of High School football in Indiana.   

carry on, with your incredible depth of knowledge you provide this board 

You are probably right, I should just sit this one out, what could I happen to know about any of this silly recruiting stuff, in particular, this young man in question.  

Though, I really am racking my head on what exactly is below a "scrub", as you state, since I am a wanna be scrub, just need to know where to go after I reach the goal of scrub from wanna be scrub.  Once I hit FULL SCRUB, maybe I can achieve next level, which is if I remember TLC correctly, a BUSTA.... ... but I digress.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"what could I happen to know about any of this silly recruiting stuff"

this is not a knock on you, but why would you know much about recruiting when all you know is Rensselaer?  Anything above D3 is extremely rare, and we all know D3 doesn't really recruit.  I'm sure the Andrean twitter kid will be just fine.....I wonder back in the mid 90's if the Rensselaer GOAT would have tweeted "while you sleep I workout"?......actually it's probably better he didn't have social media!!

8 hours ago, BigBH said:

this is not a knock on you,

No, but I think the term “some wanna be scrub from Rensselaer” might be considered a “knock” (and pretty rude), everywhere except Rensselaer, of course.

27 minutes ago, Bobref said:

No, but I think the term “some wanna be scrub from Rensselaer” might be considered a “knock” (and pretty rude), everywhere except Rensselaer, of course.

I agree....my apologies to coach...seriously.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BigBH said:

"what could I happen to know about any of this silly recruiting stuff"

this is not a knock on you, but why would you know much about recruiting when all you know is Rensselaer?  Anything above D3 is extremely rare, and we all know D3 doesn't really recruit.  I'm sure the Andrean twitter kid will be just fine.....I wonder back in the mid 90's if the Rensselaer GOAT would have tweeted "while you sleep I workout"?......actually it's probably better he didn't have social media!!

Lol yeah I’m sure the “Andrean Twitter kid” will be alright. Knowing him, he was probably working out while some pathetic grown man was trying to hate on him anonymously on the internet. Probably why he’s going to be playing major power 5 football and you’ll still be here whining and griping. It takes a special sort of loser to hate on a kid chasing his dream. The only scrub here is YOU. 

Im here to support and promote ALL of Indiana High School student athletes and coaches, schools and communties. 

Nothing more, nothing less 

When I see something like what you posted, calling out a teenager on their twitter presence I am going to react because it really is what 2021 is, these kids espeically from last year, HAVE to do stuff like that since on campus has been taken away for over a year now.   Not to mention when you are ranked the 3rd OLB in the NATION and fast tracking to 5 stars, it seemed odd to think playing at "2a" (by name only) Andrean would be any sort of negative. 

SELFISHLY speaking, if he did not attend Andrean, I could sleep a little easier come late October 

• 5 months later...

Wherever he decides to play, I hope he chooses it because that’s where he wants to go and where he thinks he’ll be improved the most as a football player and man. I’ve known guys who went to places because of family/etc and it didn’t work out for them. Wishing this kid the best