• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sycamore78

HNAC 2018: Too Early Season Predictions

On 4/5/2018 at 1:16 PM, Farmer Fran said:

When your team is having success under center running option and then switch out to a 2x2 set that clearly isn’t the teams bread and butter that’s coaching. When you see a team in a terrible defensive set for the opponent they are facing that’s coaching. When you hear kids getting screamed at and belittled on the sideline when things aren’t going your way that is coaching. None of those things are caused by community, parents, etc. 

Hear hear

Has there been any coaching turnover in the conference at all this year?  Head or Assistants?

1. Pioneer- Panthers too much for HNAC opponents 

2. Laville- Should beat everyone else in the conference with solid defensive play

3. Knox- Patrick is a stud but will need a little more to make a tourney run

4. Triton- Very talented Junior class coming back. Defense will need to be better to win Sec 41

5. Culver- Lose a ton on the line with Mcbee and Anderson but should be okay in the skill positions. Give them a year to reload

6. Winnamac- Another year with the new offense for these guys, could be solid but not enough to be top tier of the conference 

7. Judson- Should be very good in the skill position. But could have said the same last year. Gonna have to get it together to win some games this year 

8. Caston- Played with heart last year, just not enough depth. Hopefully have a few more kids come out this year!

1. Pioneer- in the famous words of Paul Heyman they are "THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, UNDISPUTED, STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS!!!! PIONEER PANTHERS!!!!"

2T Knox, LaVille, Triton. This one could be interesting. First off, Knox lost a ton of positional players. I'm going to be interested to see what Coach Hendrix does with his team this year. 

LaVille brings back a heavy presence on the defensive side of the ball. With Sauer out, I'm going to be interested to see how #4 will progress. 

Triton is an extremely talented group. Watching them against Judson, the QB play was iffy, I think Snyder threw 3 picks, but definitely showed that he can toss the ole pigskin around. Defensive play needs to improve in vast amounts. 

I think this could potentially bring about a 3 way tie for 2nd because it's so unpredictable with these 3 teams losing and gaining. I think it's going to come down to who wants to be the best more. 

5. Winamac- they lost a lot of talent especially in Roberts who was a monster at times running the ball. But I think it comes down to is filling the shoes and rebuilding the program. 

6. Culver- not much to say here. They lost their top 2 linemen in Anderson and McBee. I think there is too much to fill in those 2. 

7. NJSP- They started to break down late in the season. They showed in the game against Knox they could play with the big dogs, but quickly faded. They bring back some speed that could potentially beat Culver, but it is hard to say what they will do if they do not improve on the OL. 

8. Caston- I am feeling for the smallest school in the conference. It is really hard to say what the coach will do this year to get more numbers out and gain some speed and weight up front. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

With just over two months left before the opening week, it is about time to get this thread going.  

What are the rumors and shake ups going on with each team? 

Word in St. Joseph County...

LaVille has cleaned some house in the coaching ranks and will bring out a new look this season.  

Word in Fulton County...

Caston has a decent group of younger kids coming up, hope they can stick it out.  

Word in Marshall County...

Triton has over 70 kids in their summer workouts,  coaches must be doing something right.  

Culver is looking to go 4- 5 wide  on offense and sling the ball around this year

Word in Pulaski County...

Winamac has some tricks under their sleeve for week 1, and have heard that they are more than confident to win the battle of HWY 35 

Word in Starke County...

Knox is going with the "Wildcat" look this year and are going to call Dawson right or Dawson left all the way up to week 12, then they will try out their passing game.  

Judson is going to the New Prairie spread with all of their team speed and try to turn everything into a Track Meet

Word in Cass  County...

Pioneer will be alright.

Edited by Sycamore78

Shout out to Panthers softball team winning another state title for Pioneer and HNAC!

Great job ladies!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Shout out to Panthers softball team winning another state title for Pioneer and HNAC!

Great job ladies!

This is the first state title and finals appearance for a Pioneer program outside of football. Good job to the ladies! Pioneer can win three state titles in one calendar year if the football team repeats.

Posted (edited)

Actually Andy, the softball team has been to the state finals four total times.  2001, 2002, 2005 when it was a four-team state finals 

Edited by CharlieTweeder

19 hours ago, Sycamore78 said:

With just over two months left before the opening week, it is about time to get this thread going.  

What are the rumors and shake ups going on with each team? 

Word in St. Joseph County...

LaVille has cleaned some house in the coaching ranks and will bring out a new look this season.  

- If they can find some consistent offense this season to match their above average defense they will be a tough out come tournament time.

Word in Fulton County...

Caston has a decent group of younger kids coming up, hope they can stick it out.  

- Hopefully the kids buy in to what the coach is doing. They were a very physical team last year, just didn't have the numbers to be competitive for four quarters.

Word in Marshall County...

Triton has over 70 kids in their summer workouts,  coaches must be doing something right.  

- That is a great turnout! Is that including Jr. High as well? If they can get their defense figured out they have a solid chance for a sectional title.

Culver is looking to go 4- 5 wide  on offense and sling the ball around this year

- I find this hard to believe with the way their coach has had so much "pro style" offense the last few years, but you have to mold your scheme to the players you have so we'll see.

Word in Pulaski County...

Winamac has some tricks under their sleeve for week 1, and have heard that they are more than confident to win the battle of HWY 35 

- Hopefully they can get some more player buy in this year and get rid of some of the negativity among the players towards the staff after Roth's retirement

Word in Starke County...

Knox is going with the "Wildcat" look this year and are going to call Dawson right or Dawson left all the way up to week 12, then they will try out their passing game.  

- Dawson is a LOAD. Coach H and staff will have them ready to go, but they are going to miss their sasquatch receiver on the outside.

Judson is going to the New Prairie spread with all of their team speed and try to turn everything into a Track Meet

- Need to get that defense sorted out before thinking about offense. Woof.

Word in Cass  County...

Pioneer will be alright.

-Same questions on offense and defense: who is going to step up on the lines?? Curious to see how this plays out.

I heard a rumor this past weekend that Caston may not field a Varsity football team this fall.  Any truth to this?  That would be hard felt throughout the HNAC in terms of scheduling, but certainly also stunt the growth of the Caston program for many years to come.

I hope that isn't true how many sports do they have in the fall for boys. Why the drop of didn't they have 30 plus kids two years ago?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Actually Andy, the softball team has been to the state finals four total times.  2001, 2002, 2005 when it was a four-team state finals 

Yeah, I'm aware. They didn't make the championship game though, hence they didn't make the actual finals. That was why I said that. 

Edited by Andy G

10 hours ago, Farmer Fran said:

Need to get that defense sorted out before thinking about offense. Woof.

The word on the street is that Coach White was able to lure in a Blue Jay  legend to shore up the defense that has given up over 300 points the last couple seasons.  Look for the Jays to be much improved and play with that old school Judson swagger again.  

Can not confirm, but I have heard that the new coach may be the Grand Marshall at this weekend's MintFest in his GTO

19 hours ago, Sycamore78 said:

The word on the street is that Coach White was able to lure in a Blue Jay  legend to shore up the defense that has given up over 300 points the last couple seasons.  Look for the Jays to be much improved and play with that old school Judson swagger again.  

Can not confirm, but I have heard that the new coach may be the Grand Marshall at this weekend's MintFest in his GTO

Does Hank Orkis drive a GTO? Haha  I don't see Coach O coming out of retirement anytime soon. Brett Lambert and Evan Howard are both on the staff this season. Coach Lambert is a former Bluejay player/coach and Coach Howard is a former player. Not sure if there is a new defensive coordinator or not. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2018 at 11:35 AM, takkle4 said:

I heard a rumor this past weekend that Caston may not field a Varsity football team this fall.  Any truth to this?  That would be hard felt throughout the HNAC in terms of scheduling, but certainly also stunt the growth of the Caston program for many years to come.

Very disappointing if that's true.  But if I remember correctly they only had about 8-9 guys on last year's team that were not seniors.  And I heard they didn't have many 8th graders.  So it's got to be an uphill battle.

BTW - Congrats on the girls state title!  They looked very impressive!  I'd expect to see them back in the mix each year until that freshman battery graduates!

Kiser just committed to Notre Dame.

Happy to see Coach Lambert and Howard back in fold.   Good Stuff in Blue Jay land

Congrats to Jack Kiser on his verbal.  Very impressive player!!   

• Upvote 2

Any HNAC teams headed to Notre Dame 7-on-7 this weekend?

Last year there were over 70 teams at the event.

Temps are supposed to be in the low- to middle-70s.

Great day for some football at The Golden Dome!

As always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

ND confirmed yesterday that 38 teams are competing on Saturday, so down almost half from last year if there was over 70.

Pioneer 7v7 group impressed beyond expected in their outing Wednesday vs Logansport.  Panthers only had 4 balls hit the ground the entire night.  Panthers speed on deep routes and the QB strength to throw the deep ball made for some quick strike TDs.  It will be interesting to see if Coach Berry changes his run/pass percentage this coming season.

• Upvote 1

Our 1st time at ND many years ago for their 7 on 7 event was much larger than 38 with teams from 7 different states, as far as Arizona and Alabama.   This was probably 2010 or so.   Interesting it has shrunk so much, I wonder why?    New NCAA rules?? 

35 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Our 1st time at ND many years ago for their 7 on 7 event was much larger than 38 with teams from 7 different states, as far as Arizona and Alabama.   This was probably 2010 or so.   Interesting it has shrunk so much, I wonder why?    New NCAA rules?? 

The ND recruiting coordinator mentioned that some states have rules that only allow them to play teams from their own state or from a neighboring state.  He said that made it very difficult to schedule.  Additionally, it appears the shift in timing of the early signing period has sped up the entire recruiting process, and thus some of big time kids on those far away 7v7 teams have already visited or camped at ND prior to this later date and thus reduced their interest of coming as part of their 7v7 team.  (aka Official visits started April 1st for then Juniors) 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, takkle4 said:

ND confirmed yesterday that 38 teams are competing on Saturday, so down almost half from last year if there was over 70.

Pioneer 7v7 group impressed beyond expected in their outing Wednesday vs Logansport.  Panthers only had 4 balls hit the ground the entire night.  Panthers speed on deep routes and the QB strength to throw the deep ball made for some quick strike TDs.  It will be interesting to see if Coach Berry changes his run/pass percentage this coming season.

Lots of choices for Jack it will be interesting to see if Panthers open up the attack.  Their aerial assault could be mind-blowing this year if they wanted to.  

Easiest job in Indiana high school football this year....Pioneer offensive coordinator :17_v: