• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 
Sycamore78

HNAC 2018: Too Early Season Predictions

Here's a report on Caston's numbers and thought process.

http://www.pharostribune.com/sports/article_4bd53e90-9b71-11e8-9ef1-c3fd9e2e6599.html

From a Caston alum on their 14 players... "I'm guessing it could be a 1 game season. (Player X) is out game 1 suspended so they will have just two guys on the bench for West Central.  They have 5 freshman and 3 sophomores.  I do not see them having enough healthy players by week 4 to suit up against Pioneer."

If Caston is going to have to forfeit games because they don't have enough to play, is there any legal reason that opponents could not "loan" them a handful of players to use on a Friday night so both teams could get in a little scrimmage at least?  I know other teams don't know their playbook, etc, but heck, draw out the play on the ground in the huddle!  On defense you put guys in a location and tell them to tackle someone!  It's a forfeit anyway.  But at least the Caston guys could get some playing time.  If the program is going to survive, they are going to have to get these guys on the field in game situations or they'll all give it up.

7 minutes ago, Fine Print said:

If Caston is going to have to forfeit games because they don't have enough to play, is there any legal reason that opponents could not "loan" them a handful of players to use on a Friday night so both teams could get in a little scrimmage at least?  I know other teams don't know their playbook, etc, but heck, draw out the play on the ground in the huddle!  On defense you put guys in a location and tell them to tackle someone!  It's a forfeit anyway.  But at least the Caston guys could get some playing time.  If the program is going to survive, they are going to have to get these guys on the field in game situations or they'll all give it up.

If they cannot field a full varsity team and are that young, out of respect to their opponents they need to cancel their varsity schedule and play a JV season. This stinks for the seniors, but at the same time what about their opponents that will not be able to schedule an opponent on weeks notice. On Caston's away games the home schools will lose gate and concession revenue and the home players are robbed of a game.

Caston's situation is unfortunate but they shouldn't be allowed to drag other teams down with them.

Edited by Farmer Fran
  • Upvote 2

I said several weeks ago on this thread that they should play a JV schedule.  At that time it might have given teams a chance to schedule another game.  At this point, no one is going to get another varsity game.  So why not figure out a way that their players and ours can get in some actual game experience.  Whatever it takes!  Our fans will still come to see our kids play.  Doesn't matter which team they're playing for.

Instead of bashing Caston for a situation they cannot control, why don't we work together to find a way to provide a positive experience for all involved?

1 minute ago, Farmer Fran said:

If they cannot field a full varsity team and are that young, out of respect to their opponents they need to cancel their varsity schedule and play a JV season. This stinks for the seniors, but at the same time what about their opponents that will not be able to schedule an opponent on weeks notice. On Caston's away games the home schools will lose gate and concession revenue and the home players are robbed of a game.

Caston's situation is unfortunate but they shouldn't be allowed to drag other teams down with them.

I would tend to agree with this.  It is very unfortunate situation at Caston, and I'm not sure where it goes down the road.  But I believe Caston should play a jv schedule to allow for some success and build for the future as their 5 freshmen are most likely not all ready for varsity football.  ( Pioneer does not have a single freshman ready to play this fall) I also add that Caston's administration could be negligent in fielding a varsity only team where those kids are required to play just to field a team, as that could be construed as putting player safety in jeopardy.  Maybe not the freshman who is playing lineman, but what about the senior QB or RB lining up behind him only to be subjected to direct shots from the defense?  

As for week 4 vs #1 Pioneer if Caston sticks with the varsity schedule, it might be best for the ADs to just mutually agree right now that this game should not be played for obvious reasons.  Not sure what positive for either side could come out of it?  If cancelled now, Pioneer might be able to find another opponent, and Caston could use it as a bye week to rest up the few players they have, in hopes of playing other weeks against teams they might more evenly match up with.

I will also add that Pioneer has been there before, and it can be turned around with time.  In the fall of '88 Pioneer had 19 players on the roster - just 3 seniors - started 4/5 freshmen - and were not able to compete with other varsity teams while going 0-fer.  I was one of the seniors.  It was not a fun season at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

if Caston did the right thing for all involved and cancelled their season, the teams in the GSSC could fill in for their varsity games. Or maybe Caston and Noll could just play every Friday night. 

• Upvote 1

if caston doesn’t field a team then the HNAC needs to replace bishop noll oponants where it’s available. Idk what week that would fit but at least a couple teams would get a game

Looks like that would be Wheeler for Triton in week 3.  I'd take that.  60 mile drive per Google Maps.  JV game with Caston on Saturday.  Works for me.

Edited by Fine Print

wheeler usually has a good fan base too. We have played them several times in scrimmages and sectionals. 

27 minutes ago, Fine Print said:

Looks like that would be Wheeler for Triton in week 3.  I'd take that.  60 mile drive per Google Maps.  JV game with Caston on Saturday.  Works for me.

Wheeler vs Triton 

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! 

SCUM already scheduled their Noll-opened week 4 game with a trip to North Knox, a 4+ hour bus ride.  They did switch it to Saturday though to aid travel.

Pioneer vs SCUM would have been not so bad travel wise.., about 60 minutes.

Edited by takkle4
  • Upvote 1

According to John Harrell's website, there are only two teams in the state with openings in week 4. They are 2A Indianapolis Washington, which has a record of 9-39 in the past 5 seasons, and Lighthouse East, which is a non-IHSAA affiliated charter school in Indy. Is there any possibility that Pioneer will consider traveling out of state for a week 4 game? Cass traveled to Coldwater, MI last season.

Edited by Andy G

24 minutes ago, Andy G said:

According to John Harrell's website, there are only two teams in the state with openings in week 4. They are 2A Indianapolis Washington, which has a record of 9-39 in the past 5 seasons, and Lighthouse East, which is a non-IHSAA affiliated charter school in Indy. Is there any possibility that Pioneer will consider traveling out of state for a week 4 game? Cass traveled to Coldwater, MI last season.

Don’t think they want to travel on homecoming...

• Haha 1

No offense to the comets but couldn't this have been seen coming in the spring? I mean they had 18 players last year and I think 9-10 were seniors 

3 hours ago, Farmer Fran said:

Don’t think they want to travel on homecoming...

Homecoming can always be moved to week 3.

Triton was bad.  Couldn't move the ball consistently and couldn't stop a mediocre team's rushing game.  It'll be another 2-3 win season if we don't improve a lot.

Pioneer Northwestern 

pioneer scored 6 times to Northwestern 0

Each team ran about 20 plays due to lengthy lightning delay.  Short as it was lots of kids from both teams got looks.

ready for real football

Cass looks very solid like always.  Should be a good one at Walton on Friday

The big question here is ... What Is Best For Kids?

Caston feels they want to give its 14-17 kids the chance to play.  It has announced they plan to play varsity games week to week.

Is that what is best for kids? Just asking, here.  No offense to Caston, just wondering.  What about the opposition?

Injuries, or other things can/will occur - Varsity game or JV game.  Should the injuries or whatever reduce the present varisty roster and numbers reduce even further, that jeopardizes the opponent's schedule - home or away.

Two weeks ago, the Caston regular season schedule of opponents would have had a jump on filling in for the week they were to play the Comets.

At this point the chances are slim .... And, it affects more kids than just the Caston kids.

What are the chances Caston plays all 10 games - sectional round one included - without a forfeit?

Only time will tell.!?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Hope Caston is healthy enough for week 2. Judson might have gotten lucky playing them early. I’m excited to watch some real football come Friday. Judson and culver should be a good game. Was a good game last year with lots of mistakes and missed opportunities.