• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning  Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller  East Central:  Justin Roden  Munster:  Leroy Marsh 
DrivenT

High School Football Replay Coming - Yuck!

what makes high school football more enjoyable then Pro's and NCAA is the lack of outside interference to the game.  I agree with Muda as well keep it simple and quit whining if a bad call is made.  And I've seen some good ones, the best is the refs calling an obvious missed extra point good, it went so far left that one of the chain gang could have caught it. The whole stadium was in awe of that one.

*%#!?* it up buttercup

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Red ones always intimidating!!!   

I remember you saying that you would not be too happy to see a coach on the sideline stick an ipad in front of you to show you the play?   Is that because as of right now its not a rule for instant replay?   I remember your tone being one of non support of such tools for high school game,  I could be misguided in that thought however. 

Once it’s legal, i’m happy to use it. 

• Upvote 1

CG has had replay for a few years now on is webcast, most times  you can see  that the  right called was made. but their has a few where it could have help.  I would not mind it in very special case a in turnovers and or scoring plays. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I remember you saying that you would not be too happy to see a coach on the sideline stick an ipad in front of you to show you the play?   Is that because as of right now its not a rule for instant replay?   I remember your tone being one of non support of such tools for high school game,  I could be misguided in that thought however. 

We had a high profile ejection in week 9 some years back, requiring a player to sit out the first round of the tournament which was a huge game for the team involved. The HC involved was very quick to offer up an iPad on the sidelines, claiming he had all the answers. Oddly enough he still hasn't released the game video to us via Hudl that we asked for prior to the game. 

I understand many teams are using various video programs on the sidelines today. And there are certainly instances this could help us. The issue I have is the actual implementation. Yes many teams have this technology available to them, but most do not.

For the record, I am not an advocate of IR. I think any stoppage of play gives an advantage to someone. TO's are a given and both teams have them, that's fine. But seriously late in a game where a team has used all their TO's and you're essentially give them another one. As @bobref has stated, I think officials as a whole want one thing, they want the call right. But at what price? Time, money, advantage/disadvantage?

I have no evidence to support my opinion, it's just my gut feeling. I believe that NFL officials are hands down the best officials in sports. But even with the NFL, as IR has become more pervasive, I think there has been a decline in the level of officiating in the NFL. Perhaps decline is not the right word, as they are still really good. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I have no evidence to support my opinion, it's just my gut feeling. I believe that NFL officials are hands down the best officials in sports. But even with the NFL, as IR has become more pervasive, I think there has been a decline in the level of officiating in the NFL. Perhaps decline is not the right word, as they are still really good. 

While I wouldn’t call it a “decline,” replay has definitely changed the way the game is officiated. There is much more of a “play on” philosophy, since they know replay can go back and fix it later. Did the ball come out first, or was the knee down. Officials who are backed up by replay are much more likely to rule it a fumble, and let play continue, since they feel replay can correct it if they’re wrong. But if they rule the play dead, there’s nothing that can be done to fix that.

I’m with @Impartial_Observer on this one. It’s an implementation issue. 

Both teams might even have Hudl on field capabilities with a sideline and end zone camera. Who is running those cameras? A HS student manager? A middle school coach? The left tackle’s dad? 

Visiting team has an issue with a play. Does the ref go to the home video system because it it the ‘official’ system? Does the ref have to run across the field to see both teams’ views? 

I would love to hear those conversations. “Coach, your camera doesn’t show it, but the LT’s dad on the other sideline has a good angle and the player stepped out of bounds.” 

I’m sure that would go over well! 

40 minutes ago, bobref said:

While I wouldn’t call it a “decline,” replay has definitely changed the way the game is officiated. There is much more of a “play on” philosophy, since they know replay can go back and fix it later. Did the ball come out first, or was the knee down. Officials who are backed up by replay are much more likely to rule it a fumble, and let play continue, since they feel replay can correct it if they’re wrong. But if they rule the play dead, there’s nothing that can be done to fix that.

You're such a wordsmith, I guess it was the Catholic education. I would agree. I knew at the time decline wasn't the word I was looking for. Definitely a play on philosophy and I get that. NFL refs are still the best in the business as far as I'm concerned, but IR has changed the way it's officiated. I've tried to be forthcoming, wearing either a coaching hat or a fan hat, I don't like IR and never will. Make a decision and lets play. 

19 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

You're such a wordsmith, I guess it was the Catholic education.

Oh come on Impartial. Bob Ref is the worst... a retired official AND an attorney.  No one can win against that combination? :07_v::08_v:

Thank y’all for the fun discussion!  Put me in the camp advocating for no instant replay in HS football.

Edited by nmsu aggie

6 hours ago, nmsu aggie said:

Oh come on Impartial. Bob Ref is the worst... a retired official AND an attorney.  No one can win against that combination? .

When my older daughter was about 10, she looked at me and said “Dad, you’re a football referee and a lawyer. NOBODY likes you!”  Out of the mouths of babes ...

• Haha 4

On 4/16/2018 at 9:03 AM, Farmer Fran said:

1a state championship this year Eastern green had 12 players on the field during a goal line situation. Pioneer coaches yelling at the refs with the sideline judge ignoring the warnings saying there was no way. Pioneer scored but could have potentially been a big deal. 

Don't forget that Pioneer should have 3 titles if replay had been used in the 2014 state championship.

A big concern for the transition to a 40 second play clock was technological issues schools will have...

Are we really considering this? Or is it just off-season fodder?  I can understand implementing at LOS, but that would contradict the rules of the entire rest of the season. 

I guess I'm on team NO

1 hour ago, Von2Rov said:

A big concern for the transition to a 40 second play clock was technological issues schools will have...

Are we really considering this? Or is it just off-season fodder?  I can understand implementing at LOS, but that would contradict the rules of the entire rest of the season. 

Does every team in Indiana have a camera? Is the camera solid-state (meaning that the video is stored on a chip)?

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

Does every team in Indiana have a camera? Is the camera solid-state (meaning that the video is stored on a chip)?

Not everyone has the same system, but I can say that I believe that all but 1 of the DAC teams have real time sideline replay systems in place now.  They have different ways of storing and distributing the video, but all of the realtime systems are obviously solid state.  Some are newer than others.  Some are run by a couple players who aren't dressed for the game and others are run by volunteers or members of the coaching staff.  My guess is that most of the larger schools have the systems in place and more are getting them every season.  Honestly, I only really know the capabilities of 1 system, but it's pretty impressive.  As I said before, the replays are available within a couple seconds after the filming stops for a particular play.  The video can be slowed down and zoomed.  No, there isn't 10 camera angles like the NFL or college games.  Here's the problem I see, there are many different systems out there and there would really be no way for an official to know how to use every one.  If there were to be an occasion to use replay they would have to rely on whoever is operating the system, or one of the coaches who has an iPad or similar device to show the replay to them.  If the team has 2 angles of the play they may choose to only show one angle that shows (or doesn't show) what the official needs to see.  So there are hurdles of availability of the technology and honestly the integrity of the system.

I would be interested to see the system tested in some sort of a pilot program.  For example, if the DAC (or any other conference) wanted to try it for a season the system could be used for a single season only for conference games.  Both schools would agree to meet with the officials prior to the game to disclose how many cameras they have available for replay and identify them to the officials.  This way the officials know how many views they should get to see for any replay.  Each team would designate their "replay representative" who would show the replays to the officials.  The replay representatives would be only allowed to show the replays to the officials, but never under any circumstances advocate for any call.  Any interference by the replay representative would result in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.  Replay would only be allowed for turnovers and scoring plays.  Each team is allowed a single challenge in the game.  That's it.

It's far from a perfect system.  Sometimes the systems lock up, or a camera goes down for a few plays.  You my just lose a camera for the one play you need it.  How does that go over with an official who really wants to see the endzone angle you should have, but you don't because the freshman you had running the camera forgot to follow the play on a sweep? Maybe try it out for scrimmages first so officials and teams could just test out the idea first.  I'm not sure we're ready for it yet, but the technology is there for a number of teams to make this work.

In short, as of right now I'd be a no, but I would love to have a chance to try it out for a game or two just to see what would happen.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Andy G said:

Don't forget that Pioneer should have 3 titles if replay had been used in the 2014 state championship.

No use crying over it now though...

8 hours ago, Farmer Fran said:

No use crying over it now though...

True. It won't change anything. I just don't want to see it happen to another team.