• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
1st_and_10

Sagamore Conference 2018

Predictions for the 2018 season?

Players to watch?

I think Danville will be solid again, though they lose Hiland, Stevens, Burton (& a number of others) but they get a stud QB transfer from Plainfield (Ben Slaton).

Webo should be pretty solid.  They have QB Spencer Wright back... As well as WRs Logan Benson, Lucas Kernodle, Patrick Shallenberger, and Peyton Young. 

Tri-West has another Hendershot, but not sure what else they have coming back.

Frankfort will once again struggle to win a conference game.

The sport is pretty much dead within the confines of FHS,  numbers are very low for a supposedly "4A" school.   A lot of the OMG! athletes are choosing to play soccer.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Frankfort will once again struggle to win a conference game.

The sport is pretty much dead within the confines of FHS,  numbers are very low for a supposedly "4A" school.   A lot of the OMG! athletes are choosing to play soccer.

From what I understand their baseball and soccer programs are really tough.  Most of the conference schools struggle in certain sports while excelling in others. 

1 minute ago, 1st_and_10 said:

From what I understand their baseball and soccer programs are really tough.  Most of the conference schools struggle in certain sports while excelling in others. 

Yes, both of those programs are doing ok.  Hot Dog baseball recently swept a home and away series against state ranked Danville, but then dropped two in a row at a 4-team tournament in Crawfordsville.   Interesting that both programs contain a high percentage of Latino/Hispanic students.  

• Downvote 1

What's the word on Lebanon this year?  Obviously Washington was a play maker who will be missed.  He had close to 40% of their total offensive yards last year. 

TW loses its entire defense, but returns entire offense with the exception of Watson and Blake.  Will need a bunch of Sophs and Freshmen to step up.  I don’t see anyone beating Danville.  Slaton steps in at QB.  Skinner/Schubert is a 2 headed monster at running back.  Return 3/5 OL.  Broderick at WR is a big time weapon.  Will need some guys to step up on defense.

Danville

WeBo

Lebanon

Tri-West

Southmont

Crawfordsville

North Montgomery

Frankfort

People are going to realize just how important Stevens and Burton were to Danville's success.  On both sides of the ball and in the return game.  Stevens himself won them 3-4 games the past 2 years.  That is hard to replace.

And Hiland's creativity was highly underrated at QB.  Those numbers he put up likely won't be duplicated no matter who the QB is.

I think Webo has a fighting chance this year to win the conference.  TW looks like they will be down.  But have some really talented freshmen and sophomores coming.  Lebanon will likely be mediocre.  Nobody else will be any good.

I hear Crawfordsville is in bad shape.  Needing coaches very bad.  Low morale.  Just wondering, I’ve always thought that could be a good job.

1 hour ago, superjay said:

I hear Crawfordsville is in bad shape.  Needing coaches very bad.  Low morale.  Just wondering, I’ve always thought that could be a good job.

Well after a year long hiatus, I'm back!!!  Hope you all didn't miss me too much!

Interesting you say this superjay....I have heard all but one of the assistant coaches quit in the off season.  Hearing some rumors that the AD and school board have been approached due to the HC attitude and his demeanor by his coaching staff (again these are rumors).  Hearing administration isn't really doing anything to rectify this situation.  Kind of puzzling, but like I said, these are rumors, so who knows what really is going on.  I guess we can start a discussion on this?  I hope this isn't the case, because I agree with superjay, I think this could be a good coaching gig.  With the great facilities and backing by the school system, into athletics, especially baseball, you have the recipe for success.  Just confused as to why this program could never really take off?  But with this being said superjay.....I would think you should revisit your 'rankings' of North and Frankfort over C'ville.  Just my thoughts.

Maybe administration doesn't see a situation that needs rectified. HC that are forced to retain old coaching staffs  sometimes need to make changes and improve. Some coaching staffs see that others are set in their ways and quit. Choice is theirs. Hurts the kids but it happens at schools all the time. New HC's come in and many times don't retain old coaching staffs, sometimes it  works out  sometimes it doesn't.  Hard to say when you bring a coach it that has had success turning programs vs. old staff with little winning success.  Sometimes HC bring in their own compatibatible staff and its a whole new ball game. Yup rumors always  are a flying. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cw13 said:

Maybe administration doesn't see a situation that needs rectified. HC that are forced to retain old coaching staffs  sometimes need to make changes and improve. Some coaching staffs see that others are set in their ways and quit. Choice is theirs. Hurts the kids but it happens at schools all the time. New HC's come in and many times don't retain old coaching staffs, sometimes it  works out  sometimes it doesn't.  Hard to say when you bring a coach it that has had success turning programs vs. old staff with little winning success.  Sometimes HC bring in their own compatibatible staff and its a whole new ball game. Yup rumors always  are a flying. 

Great point CW.  Like I said, these were just all rumors.  I wasn't taking them to heart and meaning to say this is what was happening.  I appreciate your honest, and more than likely, 100% truthful post.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2018 at 12:44 PM, SicEm said:

Well after a year long hiatus, I'm back!!!  Hope you all didn't miss me too much!

Interesting you say this superjay....I have heard all but one of the assistant coaches quit in the off season.  Hearing some rumors that the AD and school board have been approached due to the HC attitude and his demeanor by his coaching staff (again these are rumors).  Hearing administration isn't really doing anything to rectify this situation.  Kind of puzzling, but like I said, these are rumors, so who knows what really is going on.  I guess we can start a discussion on this?  I hope this isn't the case, because I agree with superjay, I think this could be a good coaching gig.  With the great facilities and backing by the school system, into athletics, especially baseball, you have the recipe for success.  Just confused as to why this program could never really take off?  But with this being said superjay.....I would think you should revisit your 'rankings' of North and Frankfort over C'ville.  Just my thoughts.

Regarding demeanor of the HC, it appears he's not afraid to share what is on his mind according to quotes in the local paper following the loss to Webo this past season.

"...I don’t care about all the different schemes, it is still a simple game — I have this area, you have yours and if you are going to let another 18-year-old push you around, there is the difference. That was the difference today, and that is where we are right now as a program. The difference today was that they pushed us around, and until we get tired of getting pushed around and getting sand kicked in our face, it is not going to change.”  “We have to come out and play,” Getts said. “This is how it’s going to be if we don’t change what we are doing. We have a sign up in the locker room that says that if you don’t like where you are at, don’t complain about it, just shut up and fix it. We have some things to fix here and if we are going to do this thing right and change, we will fix it. If we are happy with how it’s going, it will stay the same. You work all week as a football player, and this is the end result — you can’t be happy about it.”

By all means lets show both sides of demeanor.

“We stepped on the field, we weren’t going to be intimidated and the kids held their ground,” Braves coach Larry Getts said. “They said, ‘We’re just as good as you,’ and they played that for four quarters. That’s what the games are about right now. So many times teams come out against Luers and just fall apart because they get caught up with the helmet, they get caught up with the championships, our kids just said, ‘Let’s play football.’

That was after his Bellmont team upset Luers for a sectional title.

Now on a side note I thought the Gridiron Digest prided themselves on "no rumors"

Lets continue the talk about the teams in the conference and not the gossip. 

On 4/24/2018 at 1:39 PM, cw13 said:

My son graduated a couple years ago and when I went to a couple games this year I only recognized 2 out of the 6 assistant coaches names on the roster as guys that had coached with the previous HC. 

19 hours ago, cw13 said:

By all means lets show both sides of demeanor.

“We stepped on the field, we weren’t going to be intimidated and the kids held their ground,” Braves coach Larry Getts said. “They said, ‘We’re just as good as you,’ and they played that for four quarters. That’s what the games are about right now. So many times teams come out against Luers and just fall apart because they get caught up with the helmet, they get caught up with the championships, our kids just said, ‘Let’s play football.’

That was after his Bellmont team upset Luers for a sectional title.

Now on a side note I thought the Gridiron Digest prided themselves on "no rumors"

Lets continue the talk about the teams in the conference and not the gossip. 

I'd have to think the Athenians saw more of the other type of demeanor because of their 0-10 season as compared to positive talk after a sectional upset game.  

If you know of anyone looking, saw this ad in local C'ville paper:

CHS is seeking football assistant coaches for 2018

CHS is seeking football assistant coaches for 2018.  Crawfordsville High School is currently looking to fill assistant football coaching positions for the upcoming season. Applicants should have effective leadership skills, should be knowledgeable in  football fundamentals, and have the ability to effectively communicate with parents, staff and administrators.  Qualified candidates can email Crawfordsville Athletics Director Bryce Barton at brbarton@cville.k12.in.us.   

The youth program is being ran by the HS AD also... The entire Football program at Crawfordsville is not in a good place right now...

Youth program is not ran by the HS AD.  It is run through the high school for administrative services and is not a stand alone program, but he isn't in charge of it.

21 hours ago, WCCtoSAC said:

Youth program is not ran by the HS AD.  It is run through the high school for administrative services and is not a stand alone program, but he isn't in charge of it.

The contact for the youth program right now is Bryce Barton. 

We are really talking about a two horse race this season between Webo and Danville. 

Outside of the Wabash College Little Giants, football is seeing some hard times in Montgomery County. The question that remains at Crawfordsville is the question that seems to linger year after year. How much do they really care about being good at football? You know the Head Coach cares, but what about everyone else?

3 minutes ago, Chuck Shartz said:

We are really talking about a two horse race this season between Webo and Danville. 

Outside of the Wabash College Little Giants, football is seeing some hard times in Montgomery County. The question that remains at Crawfordsville is the question that seems to linger year after year. How much do they really care about being good at football? You know the Head Coach cares, but what about everyone else?

Meh,  Crawfordsville is a baseball school.  Much like Frankfort is a basketball school.

Tackle Football will always play second or even third fiddle in these communities.  Heck, FHS may see almost as many players going out for soccer as they do for football this fall.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Meh,  Crawfordsville is a baseball school.  Much like Frankfort is a basketball school.

Tackle Football will always play second or even third fiddle in these communities.  Heck, FHS may see almost as many players going out for soccer as they do for football this fall.

Baseball?? You mean a swimming school! :)

In the nearly 50 years of boys swimming history at CHS, the boys have won 19 County Championships, 19 Sagamore Athletic Conference Championships and 18 Sectionals, with 11 individual state champions. The program’s best finish in state competition was 9th in 1999-2000.

13 minutes ago, WCCtoSAC said:

Baseball?? You mean a swimming school! :)

In the nearly 50 years of boys swimming history at CHS, the boys have won 19 County Championships, 19 Sagamore Athletic Conference Championships and 18 Sectionals, with 11 individual state champions. The program’s best finish in state competition was 9th in 1999-2000.

Impressive.  But hasn't the Athenian baseball team won two state titles over the last decade or so?

'08 and '11...I was just shedding some light on one of the sports that really never gets the headlines.