• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Kevin Wright comments from IMG

https://247sports.com/Article/What-FSU-is-getting-in-two-of-IMGs-best-117384590

Former Carmel and Warren Central Coach Kevin Wright with comments on the signing of two of his IMG players to Florida State.  Would love to see Ben Davis take on IMG.  Wonder if Wright would ever consider bringing his team to Indianapolis for this type of matchup?  

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

https://247sports.com/Article/What-FSU-is-getting-in-two-of-IMGs-best-117384590

Former Carmel and Warren Central Coach Kevin Wright with comments on the signing of two of his IMG players to Florida State.  Would love to see Ben Davis take on IMG.  Wonder if Wright would ever consider bringing his team to Indianapolis for this type of matchup?  

300 mile rule......cannot happen

Can't IMG do the traveling and play at Ben Davis?  

I do not believe so.   Could be wrong, but thought it was on both ends 

While it would make perfect sense to do that, they can’t. It would be cool if they could; although many would see it as a recruiting trip for IMG. Several years ago while I was at Cathedral, we were scheduled for the Herbstreit Classic at UC. Organizers asked about us playing Mission Viejo but we were told the 300 mile rule is from the State line to the school we would play. So we ended up playing LaSalle from Cincy. The game before us was Colerain against Hoover from Alabama. If I remember correctly, Hoover HS was something like 20 or 30 miles beyond that 300 mile limit. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Little King Bobby would make an exception to the rule for an IMG-Ben Davis matchup at Lucas Oil.  

Another game I would like to see would be Homewood Flossmoor vs either Warren Central or Center Grove.  That would be a heckuva season opening doubleheader to kickoff the hs football season.  

that would have to be Indiana week 2 game, as I believe Indiana is one week jump start on Illinois 

13 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I wonder if Little King Bobby would make an exception to the rule for an IMG-Ben Davis matchup at Lucas Oil.  

Another game I would like to see would be Homewood Flossmoor vs either Warren Central or Center Grove.  That would be a heckuva season opening doubleheader to kickoff the hs football season.  

If it were a basketball game, he sure would.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The marketing and promotion of high school football in Indiana has declined dramatically over the past 5 to 10 years.  Media coverage is way down.  The IHSAA really should take a more proactive role in promoting the game by staging major events such as this.  A new commissioner with an eye towards marketing, publicity and promotion is sorely needed in Indianapolis.  Bobby's legacy is set with the Success Factor initiative.  He should move on and let a more progressive and savvy marketing-business oriented leader take the reigns.  

Edited by DrivenT

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, DrivenT said:

hf playing penn

img is not a high school.

Edited by Coach Ellenwood
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The marketing and promotion of high school football in Indiana has declined dramatically over the past 5 to 10 years.  Media coverage is way down.  The IHSAA really should take a more proactive role in promoting the game by staging major events such as this.  A new commissioner with an eye towards marketing, publicity and promotion is sorely needed in Indianapolis.  Bobby's legacy is set with the Success Factor initiative.  He should move on and let a more progressive and savvy marketing-business oriented leader take the reigns.  

Im not sure I agree with that:   Sure, print media of HS games, especially at the Indy star has declined, however print media at Hammond Times/NWI Times has been very good for teams up in NWI,  looks the same for other major pockets as well.

Also, any given Friday night I can pull up a multitude of online streams of games and IHSAATV.org will have a weekly game.   MTC Sports and host of others do online weekly games.   

32 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

hf playing penn

img is not a high school.

Penn is not an attractive draw.  They do not elicit much interest outside of their home market

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Im not sure I agree with that:   Sure, print media of HS games, especially at the Indy star has declined, however print media at Hammond Times/NWI Times has been very good for teams up in NWI,  looks the same for other major pockets as well.

Also, any given Friday night I can pull up a multitude of online streams of games and IHSAATV.org will have a weekly game.   MTC Sports and host of others do online weekly games.   

I would agree that there is plenty of media/social media activity at the local level.  Statewide, coverage is way down.  

Who is in charge of state wide coverage?  Or who should be responsible? 

My Indiana Football . com highlights weekly matchups  

IHSAATV and their twitter account sends out info, one would assume same on Facebook 

I guess my question is what are looking for in this coverage you speak of and from whom? 

Posted (edited)

A lot of it is due to the diminished presence and influence of The Gridiron Digest.  

Its unfortunately true Coach Nowlin, and it has occurred under your watch.

The GID used to be a huge gathering place for statewide discussion.  Now it is a collection of small fiefdoms and hamlets, with discussion focused primarily at the local level, and dominated by the smallest classes (1A and 2A)

Consistent, relevant and interesting big school football discussion is a rarity on this site.  That's a bad trend.

Yes, the Indy Star has significantly pulled back its coverage.  The NWI Times does a good job of in season coverage, but the pre season reporting and previews are nearly non existent.

I do believe that the IHSAA could do a much better job of "promoting" high school football in Indiana.  Blake Ress did a nice job at this.  Bobby Cox has been consumed by competitive balance issues, and has allowed prep football in Indiana to slip to secondary status.  That will be a permanent stain on his legacy.

What is the answer?  For starters, the IHSAA should consider appointing an Indiana High School Football Commissioner, whose primary objectives are to promote the game, improve attendance, increase media coverage, restore growth in participation, and improve communication and cooperation across the various regions of the state.  I can see clear indications that football is becoming less relevant at many schools across the state.  This is a dangerous trend, and can open the door to large scale contraction if even a few schools choose to go in that direction.  

Edited by DrivenT

But yet you still come to the site................................

During the hey day of GID, Facebook was not a thing, neither was Twitter.  

Social media account GID on twitter is fantastic with automatic RT when using established hashtags #tdg or #gid    

You've said many times over that message boards are dying medium, but yet, here we are still, cranking away.   Coach Adams, dedicated his life to his site, and removed himself from coaching to focus full time the promotion of this sport.   I along with others are attempting to keep the ship running in a day an age where there is quite a few options to gather information, those options were not available 2004-2009, the hey day/Holy Wars of the GID.   

Coach Adams always stated that the most passionate folks on his site were small school fans.   That has not changed.   

As far as the last paragraph:   You do realize that IHSAA has one and he does a fine job from my seat at the IFCA Board of directors meetings via Region 4.    Give him a call and tell him what you can provide to help his product he oversees.   http://www.ihsaa.org/AboutIHSAA/CurrentInformation/ExecutiveStaff/RobertFaulkens/tabid/968/Default.aspx

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

But yet you still come to the site................................

During the hey day of GID, Facebook was not a thing, neither was Twitter.  

Social media account GID on twitter is fantastic with automatic RT when using established hashtags #tdg or #gid    

You've said many times over that message boards are dying medium, but yet, here we are still, cranking away.   Coach Adams, dedicated his life to his site, and removed himself from coaching to focus full time the promotion of this sport.   I along with others are attempting to keep the ship running in a day an age where there is quite a few options to gather information, those options were not available 2004-2009, the hey day/Holy Wars of the GID.   

Coach Adams always stated that the most passionate folks on his site were small school fans.   That has not changed.   

As far as the last paragraph:   You do realize that IHSAA has one and he does a fine job from my seat at the IFCA Board of directors meetings via Region 4.    Give him a call and tell him what you can provide to help his product he oversees.   http://www.ihsaa.org/AboutIHSAA/CurrentInformation/ExecutiveStaff/RobertFaulkens/tabid/968/Default.aspx

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blah-blah-blah.  Im so sick of it all.

The millenial answer or excuse to every issue is more technology, more social media, more human disengagement.

These technological "toys" strike at the very heart of this problem.

People dont talk to each other anymore.

The game needs an "ambassador" to push forward the various agendas I have outlined.  What it doesnt need is a new Twitter feed or Facebook page to address these challenges.

A Dick Dullaghan type personality (without the over the top , self important hubris) would be a step in the right direction.  A humble and sincere gentleman like Leroy Marsh would be a much better choice to lead this effort.  

A)  not a millennial 

B) Fact, more options available to consume information

C) People talk to each other on Twitter/Facebook, IG, etc  

Send your Resume in.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

A)  not a millennial 

B) Fact, more options available to consume information

C) People talk to each other on Twitter/Facebook, IG, etc  

Send your Resume in.  

They can't afford me.  I wont get out of bed for less than 250K.  :07_v:

Edited by DrivenT
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

There have been exceptions made for the 300 mile rule before.

1.  Indiana Deaf routinely played/plays teams from well outside the 300 mile limit.

2.  Lawrence North basketball in 2009 played a school from Atlanta, and a school from Seattle.

Edited by Coach_G

1 hour ago, Coach_G said:

There have been exceptions made for the 300 mile rule before.

1.  Indiana Deaf routinely played/plays teams from well outside the 300 mile limit.

2.  Lawrence North basketball in 2009 played a school from Atlanta, and a school from Seattle.

add the Indiana School for the Blind Wrestling. The conference they are in spans a number of states.

Am I the only one who thinks IMG would pummel whomever our 6A State Champion is on a yearly basis? No thanks. They're a multi state All Star team. The likes of Ben Davis, Cathedral, and Warren Central struggle to beat Cincinnati teams, let's not throw them to the wolves in Florida, Texas, etc. My only interest is to routinely see our state's best play the best from Louisville, Ohio, Chicagoland, and Michigan.

IMG would crush any MIC school. as well as any Top 50 ALL Star roster of Indiana High School football players from any year.

Its all in the numbers

Indiana produces 2 and 3 star prospects, with the occasional 4 star , which is a rarity.

IMG wont even look at you if you are not in the 4 star caliber range.  

But it would be darn fun to watch, and I would gladly pay the price of admission to see it.  

Your 4th line is a flat out lie.

The other lines are conjecture.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DrivenT said:

IMG would crush any MIC school. as well as any Top 50 ALL Star roster of Indiana High School football players from any year.

Its all in the numbers

Indiana produces 2 and 3 star prospects, with the occasional 4 star , which is a rarity.

IMG wont even look at you if you are not in the 4 star caliber range.  

But it would be darn fun to watch, and I would gladly pay the price of admission to see it.  

Not true.