• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  Tell City:  Josh Teague  Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly  Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired 
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

IU-Purdue NFL Draft Results

Posted (edited)

Only 3 players combined drafted from the two schools.

Hard to believe that IU Tight End Ian Thomas was the highest draft pick from the two schools, going in the 4th round to Carolina.

PU LB Ja Whaun Bentley goes in the 5th round to New England.

IU LB Chris Covington, drafted in 6th round by Dallas.  (Apparently he had a good combine performance)

Simmie Cobbs, IUs top preseason 2017 NFL prospect, signs free agent deal with Washington  (likely due to knee injury - should have never happened in the first place.  You don't put your best wide receiver on the kickoff coverage team against the #1 team in the nation in the first game of the year.  What were they thinking?)

Other free agent signings :

Purdue

Dave Steinmetz OL  - Miami

Danny Ezechukwu LB - Philadelphia

Eddy Wilson DL - Seattle

Any word on Lake Central graduate Gelen Robinson?  Probably too small for NFL DL position.  

Indiana

Rashard Fant DB - Chicago

Tegray Scales LB - LA Rams (anyone surprised by this?)

I've been critical of IU's declining talent level for sometime.  These draft results bear this out.  The roster situation in Bloomington looks bleak.  Not sure if Coach Tom is up to the challenge.  

Edited by DrivenT

It's really not fair to put this on Coach Allen or Coach Brohm (yeah, I know you did not call him out, but that just shows your bias toward disliking Allen). This senior class is not a class they recruited. So, maybe some of the decline can be blamed on Kevin Wilson????

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Irishman said:

It's really not fair to put this on Coach Allen or Coach Brohm (yeah, I know you did not call him out, but that just shows your bias toward disliking Allen). This senior class is not a class they recruited. So, maybe some of the decline can be blamed on Kevin Wilson????

Yes.  I think Wilson figured he would finish out his original 7 year contract and then move on.  His recruiting did fall off, no doubt.  Allen's first class looks like most of Wilson's classes, minus the offensive skill position talent that put IU into a position to be somewhat competitive.  Lots of 3 star guys.  You cant compete in the Big Ten without some 4 star talent, unless you are Wisconsin and bludgeon your way to competitiveness.  

I didn't mention Brohm because I believe recruits will be drawn to him and the PU program due to his pedigree and personality. 

Edited by DrivenT

12 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Only 3 players combined drafted from the two schools.

Hard to believe that IU Tight End Ian Thomas was the highest draft pick from the two schools, going in the 4th round to Carolina.

PU LB Ja Whaun Bentley goes in the 5th round to New England.

IU LB Chris Covington, drafted in 6th round by Dallas.  (Apparently he had a good combine performance)

Simmie Cobbs, IUs top preseason 2017 NFL prospect, signs free agent deal with Washington  (likely due to knee injury - should have never happened in the first place.  You don't put your best wide receiver on the kickoff coverage team against the #1 team in the nation in the first game of the year.  What were they thinking?)

Other free agent signings :

Purdue

Dave Steinmetz OL  - Miami

Danny Ezechukwu LB - Philadelphia

Eddy Wilson DL - Seattle

Any word on Lake Central graduate Gelen Robinson?  Probably too small for NFL DL position.  

Indiana

Rashard Fant DB - Chicago

Tegray Scales LB - LA Rams (anyone surprised by this?)

I've been critical of IU's declining talent level for sometime.  These draft results bear this out.  The roster situation in Bloomington looks bleak.  Not sure if Coach Tom is up to the challenge.  

Would love for another LC alum to make it to the pros.

I mentioned the samething about his size (don't remember where...here or another site), and IMSM, @Muda69 made the comment something like....ever hear of Sheldon Day?  IMHO, there is ZERO comparison of the two....beside possibly size.  But, what do I know?

And if it wasnt you MMM,  my mistake.

Robinson never really found a permanent position home at PU, which was unfortunate.  He was too slow to play LB.  Not tall enough for DE.  And now not big enough to play interior DL in the NFL.  I always thought he was more of a MAC level talent coming out of high school, and might have had a more rewarding career had he played at Western Michigan or Toledo.  It is what it is.  

• Upvote 1

Purdue list also includes

Austin Lakin DE:  Dallas Cowboys

Anthony Mahoungou WR  Eagles

TJ McCollum LB  Bears ( I think he has a chance to stick, I really do, loved how he played this past year) 

I think 21 years in a row a Boilermaker being selected is pretty cool statistic.  

5 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Robinson never really found a permanent position home at PU, which was unfortunate.  He was too slow to play LB.  Not tall enough for DE.  And now not big enough to play interior DL in the NFL.  I always thought he was more of a MAC level talent coming out of high school, and might have had a more rewarding career had he played at Western Michigan or Toledo.  It is what it is.  

me personally:  thought he wasted valuable developmental time at the college level messing around with wrestling and throwing in spring 

8 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Purdue list also includes

Austin Lakin DE:  Dallas Cowboys

Anthony Mahoungou WR  Eagles

TJ McCollum LB  Bears ( I think he has a chance to stick, I really do, loved how he played this past year) 

I think 21 years in a row a Boilermaker being selected is pretty cool statistic.  

me personally:  thought he wasted valuable developmental time at the college level messing around with wrestling and throwing in spring 

There is only so much you can do with a fixed body type.  He looked like a traditional college fullback coming out of high school, but had no offensive skills or instincts.  When I heard that he was recruited to play DE, I expected him to fail.  Unfortunate.

I believe he was the 1st 4 star kid that Hazel was able to snag.   And only 4 star kid I also believe.