• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Children who play football before age 12 show CTE-related symptoms much sooner

18 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Boy Scouts of America for one.  Last I checked scouting was a non-contact activity.  Is there a risk with canoeing, climbing,  shooting, etc.?  Yes there is.  But is the risk something that can come back and affect the child 20, 30, 40 years after they age out of the program?  

On the other hand, there is also a body of evidence that playing football through high school carries no measurable risk of cognitive issues later in life.  https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/11/15952184/cte-study-wisconsin-high-school-football. Reported in the Journal of the AMA, which is a credible source.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bobref said:

On the other hand, there is also a body of evidence that playing football through high school carries no measurable risk of cognitive issues later in life.  https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/11/15952184/cte-study-wisconsin-high-school-football. Reported in the Journal of the AMA, which is a credible source.

*sigh*

Did you already respond to my response of that very study?

• Downvote 1

On 5/4/2018 at 3:12 PM, Blue Racer said:

Apologizes. Not directed at you. Poor delivery on my part.

You're good sir, I know who you were going for.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2018 at 9:43 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

You mean to tell me there are studies posted online about CTE and football Muda wasn't able to find?

Image result for whaaa gif

It's almost like those articles didn't support his conclusions . . . 

Image result for hmmm gif

Edited by Gamecock Part Deux
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Boy Scouts of America for one.  Last I checked scouting was a non-contact activity.  Is there a risk with canoeing, climbing,  shooting, etc.?  Yes there is.  But is the risk something that can come back and affect the child 20, 30, 40 years after they age out of the program?   

I would venture a guess that some of the Scouts involved in the sex abuse scandals might take issue with that line of reasoning.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I would venture a guess that some of the Scouts involved in the sex abuse scandals might take issue with that line of reasoning.

So sex abuse = CTE?

giphy.gif

Can we also talk about sex abuse by Catholic Priests?  School teachers?  Coaches? 

Edited by Muda69

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

So sex abuse = CTE?

Can we also talk about sex abuse by Catholic Priests?  School teachers?  Coaches? 

Classic Muda ... no one said that they are equal.  You argued that the BSA involvement didn't have risks that could be persistent years into the future and I merely pointed out that your reasoning was incomplete. 

Sure, you can talk about all of those things if you wish.  As many on this board have pointed out risk is everywhere in all things ... from going to school, to going to church, to being coached in sports, to driving cars, and just about everything else.  Also, as others have pointed out, it's a question of measuring and looking at those.

17 minutes ago, foxbat said:

You argued that the BSA involvement didn't have risks that could be persistent years into the future

I never said that.  I argued that CTE is probably not a risk inherent to involvement in the BSA.  At least not on the level of tackle football.

36 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I never said that.  I argued that CTE is probably not a risk inherent to involvement in the BSA.  At least not on the level of tackle football.

I played football and was a boy scout. If I had to go back several years, I would gladly do football again.  Major difference in leadership!!!

Just my experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bobref said:

Muda has issues with that study, because the subjects were HS football players in 1957.  

I would surmise the original study of this post, from Annals of Neurology, would have similar sample problems.  I cannot find the full article as it has been accepted for publication, but not yet published in other than abstract form.  The full article should be available in about a month or two when published.  It might be available sooner, but that would require me talking to the school librarian, and frankly, the old bird scares me.

I did spend some time Saturday reading similar articles, especially about the age 12 issue.  One study I found concluded that age 12 was a cut-off point for the likelihood and severity of CTE, but its subjects were brains donated in Florida between 1997-2007.  These were 2,000+ donated brains of individuals who were a median age of 65 at death.  So if they were on average 65 at death, and that was in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when would they have been playing HS football?

Point being, if you will give credit to studies who examined players who showed CTE for exposure prior to age 12, you cannot then DISCREDIT the Wisconsin study above who examined players from 1957 on that issue alone.

Both studies have the same questions of generalizability.  

Do children who play tackle football experience concussions?

15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes people do, but so do people who read your crap too. My brain hurts. Bye!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Do boy scouts ever experience concussions? Camp fire burns? Cut, bruises, or other scrapes?? 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Blue Racer said:

Do boy scouts ever experience concussions? Camp fire burns? Cut, bruises, or other scrapes?? 

Do camp fire burns, bruises, and other scrapes cause a degenerative brain disease that cause memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, suicidality, parkinsonism, and eventually progressive dementia?

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Do camp fire burns, bruises, and other scrapes cause a degenerative brain disease that cause memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, suicidality, parkinsonism, and eventually progressive dementia?

Video games do

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

......and premature death!

13 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

Video games do

Citation please.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Citation please.

i had brain a hemorrhage playing my kids in video games one night....still standing.

Next day,  drove them to school singing Marty Robbin's "Big Iron"  

Does that count?

Edit...think I had a kidney stone too.  Video games are just terrible.

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Lysander said:

i had brain a hemorrhage playing my kids in video games one night....still standing.

Next day,  drove them to school singing Marty Robbin's "Big Iron"  

Does that count?

Edit...think I had a kidney stone too.  Video games are just terrible.

Can't help you with the brain hemorrhage, but this'll help with the kidney stones.

image.jpeg.248f3167b56362bee8b2fbf59aa53421.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, Muda69 said:

Yes, I have.   Have you?

No I didn't stop my children when of age to drive automobiles.  I think its important they become as proficient as they can with driving, arguably the riskiest thing that 2 of the 3 of our children will ever do.  We also allowed them to play football, soccer, basketball, baseball, ride bicycles, etc.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

No I didn't stop my children when of age to drive automobiles.

So you let your children operate a motor vehicle when they were under the influence of some mind altering substance, like alcohol?   And you willingly allowed them to ride in a vehicle that was being operated by an individual under the the influence of a mind altering substance?

• Downvote 4

8 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Citation please.

You too lazy to search?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So you let your children operate a motor vehicle when they were under the influence of some mind altering substance, like alcohol?   And you willingly allowed them to ride in a vehicle that was being operated by an individual under the the influence of a mind altering substance?

How in the world did your brain allow you to come to this conclusion????  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3