• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 

9 hours ago, fkfootball said:

They hired one of their assistants. I won't say the name on here yet. Without sounding negative, with the struggle that FC, NA, and Jeff has had hiring coaches, the dominance of Columbus East has to be a factor. Good MSC area coaches aren't interested in playing for 2nd place.

Another great reason for East to move north to an Indy area conference

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

An argument can be made that the entire HHC has long outlasted its utility.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

An argument can be made that the entire HHC has long outlasted its utility.

Good point Dante

I think the entire concept of high school athletic conferences, specifically in Indiana, has taken on a whole new direction and purpose over the past decade.

Conferences used to be driven by one singular force, and that was "competitiveness."  The goal was to build league strength from top to bottom, develop a reputation for power and balance, and be a force with regular member participation in post season play.

Most of that has been pushed by the wayside.

Now, the key conference buzzword is "convenience."  

Competitiveness is pushed aside and sacrificed for every possible cost saving measure that can be implemented :

Travel reduction

Staff reductions (both quality and quantity)

Program disinvestment

A school like CE, which is an attractive target for a conference looking to improve its competitive profile, stands pat, because its the convenient thing to do.  Munster does the same thing in The Region by staying in the Northwest Crossroads, when they should be competing in the Duneland.  Lafayette Jeff is stuck in the North Central, when other options, including independence, might better suit their competitive needs and desires.

Madison and Jennings County have no business in this league, but remain out of "convenience," despite the humiliating competitive disadvantage they face year after year.  Its "convenient" for them to stay.

We lack leaders in this current environment, bold visionaries who are ready, willing and able to break the status quo and set a new course.  Conservatism and Protectionism reign supreme.  Perhaps our Glorious National Leader is truly having an impact on the national psyche.  

Edited by DrivenT

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

I agree with this. I would love to see East in the same conference as Westfield? Is that the HCC? While East would obviously take some losses each year, I think they could compete just fine most years. 

Are we really discussing this again? Columbus East tried to get in the Mid-State Conference. The Mid-State took Perry Meridian instead. Jennings County and Madison have considered leaving but the HHC scheduling changes have delayed any decision on that. From what I understand, leaving the conference still isn't off the table for them though.

And why does Columbus East NEED to leave the conference @DrivenT? As it has been stated before, there are 19 other sports teams between boys and girls (20 if you count unified track). East doesn't dominate in every single sport. Floyd Central is the class of the conference athletically. If East can win state in football in 4A and then make the 5A state title game in consecutive seasons (winning one of them), why do they need to leave this "lackluster conference"? They've already proven the doubters wrong that say their schedule/conference doesn't prepare them for the state tournament. Who cares if it's "convenient" or not? Are you in charge of the athletic accounts? If the school wants to save money by not actively pursuing another conference then that's their right to do so. This isn't college athletics. Give it a rest.

P.S.- Thanks for making your point political at the end. That wasn't needed. Your point came across without that nonsense. We hear about politics everywhere else. Can we, at the very least, please keep it off of here?

Posted (edited)

I can't speak on the coach that they just hired because I know nothing of his background. But I really thought this was the opportunity for Floyd to re-invent their program, and bring in a HC that could get them away from their 1980s style of football. They will never compete with Columbus East or even Castle, by sticking with their ground and pound. Football has changed. It's a passing game. Spread out, and score some points. 

16 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Are we really discussing this again? Columbus East tried to get in the Mid-State Conference. The Mid-State took Perry Meridian instead. Jennings County and Madison have considered leaving but the HHC scheduling changes have delayed any decision on that. From what I understand, leaving the conference still isn't off the table for them though.

And why does Columbus East NEED to leave the conference @DrivenT? As it has been stated before, there are 19 other sports teams between boys and girls (20 if you count unified track). East doesn't dominate in every single sport. Floyd Central is the class of the conference athletically. If East can win state in football in 4A and then make the 5A state title game in consecutive seasons (winning one of them), why do they need to leave this "lackluster conference"? They've already proven the doubters wrong that say their schedule/conference doesn't prepare them for the state tournament. Who cares if it's "convenient" or not? Are you in charge of the athletic accounts? If the school wants to save money by not actively pursuing another conference then that's their right to do so. This isn't college athletics. Give it a rest.

P.S.- Thanks for making your point political at the end. That wasn't needed. Your point came across without that nonsense. We hear about politics everywhere else. Can we, at the very least, please keep it off of here?

I wont argue this. I never advocated for them to leave. I'm just saying. If you are an MSC coach, do you go to FC or NA to compete for 2nd place? Glesing at Jeff might be somewhat of a threat to East. Maybe.

Edited by fkfootball

7 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Weak conferences dilute the quality of play.  Strong conferences elevate it.  

Everything begins at the local level.

The fact that CE kids can look past an entire season of conference play to the first week of sectionals is a travesty, and a sad state of affairs, in my view.  Its adults who have put these kids into this position.  

When Lawrence Central wanted a seat at the big boys table, they negotiated their way out of Conference Indiana and into The MIC.  Brought Pike along for the ride.  When Franklin Central sought a new home, they shocked everyone by landing the coveted 8th spot in The HCC.  Jay County found themselves a new home, and a better fit.  The Northern Indiana Conference and Northern States merged, and created the states first super conference.  Homestead and Carroll found their way into the Summit.  Original member New Castle ditched the North Central for a new home in the Hoosier Heritage.  

Don't tell me it cant be done.  

I dont buy it.

4 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

The fact that CE kids can look past an entire season of conference play to the first week of sectionals is a travesty, and a sad state of affairs, in my view.  Its adults who have put these kids into this position.  

When Lawrence Central wanted a seat at the big boys table, they negotiated their way out of Conference Indiana and into The MIC.  Brought Pike along for the ride.  When Franklin Central sought a new home, they shocked everyone by landing the coveted 8th spot in The HCC.  Jay County found themselves a new home, and a better fit.  The Northern Indiana Conference and Northern States merged, and created the states first super conference.  Homestead and Carroll found their way into the Summit.  Original member New Castle ditched the North Central for a new home in the Hoosier Heritage.  

I dont buy it.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just asking why. It's HIGH SCHOOL. It's not that big of a deal.

@fkfootball Wasn't referring to you when I made my post. I agree with your statements.

8 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I dont buy it.

At least the schools in Indiana get to pick their conference opponents. The NIAA assigns our for us. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I dont buy it.

I can promise you Coach Gaddis doesn't let them look past conference play to sectionals. If that was the case then they would've lost an HHC game or two by now.

My big question regarding East is why East and North aren't in the same conference. You would think a superintendent would push for both North and East to be in the Mid-State (or, I would, if I were calling the shots).

1 minute ago, DanteEstonia said:

My big question regarding East is why East and North aren't in the same conference. You would think a superintendent would push for both North and East to be in the Mid-State (or, I would, if I were calling the shots).

Two different mentalities in the schools. North looks at themselves as an elite school/program so they think they are above the HHC. Some of them still think they're above Columbus East as well. They have more money at that school and have more of a white collar attitude.

As for East, there's a lot of pride at the school but there's a more blue collar mentality. They're more willing to accept things as they are in athletics.

This is just me looking at it through my eyes and experiences but North really puts forth an effort to strive to be one of the elite athletic programs in the state. I don't get that same sense of urgency from East. Personally, I feel like that's why both schools can't get on the same level and agree to be in the same conference.

17 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just asking why. It's HIGH SCHOOL. It's not that big of a deal.

@fkfootball Wasn't referring to you when I made my post. I agree with your statements.

The game must go on. 3 years ago I was told that Floyd Central would soon have their best basketball team in 30 years. They went 24-2 and won the HHC this year. I'm being told the same thing in regards to Football. If the new coach is any good, we might have a shot at East. But the future is hard to predict.

11 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Two different mentalities in the schools. North looks at themselves as an elite school/program so they think they are above the HHC. Some of them still think they're above Columbus East as well. They have more money at that school and have more of a white collar attitude.

Ultimately, they have the same district office as East, so if district office wants to have the two in the same conference, they will have it done. 

2 minutes ago, fkfootball said:

The game must go on. 3 years ago I was told that Floyd Central would soon have their best basketball team in 30 years. They went 24-2 and won the HHC this year. I'm being told the same thing in regards to Football. If the new coach is any good, we might have a shot at East. But the future is hard to predict.

There will come a time when East loses an HHC game and there will come a time when East is no longer on top. Personally, I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon but I'm not dumb enough to take it for granted. I still remember the dark ages of East football in the late 90s. We went 6-5 in '03 (my freshman year) so I was there during a time when East wasn't the dominant HHC football team. I just hope our younger crowd continues to show up when they see East losing for the first time in their lives. And I hope the older crowd isn't short-sighted and remembers to support the team through the tough times once again.

3 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Ultimately, they have the same district office as East, so if district office wants to have the two in the same conference, they will have it done. 

They leave it up to the schools to decide and I'm glad they do. Their job is to worry about education. Leave the athletics to the respective schools.

1 minute ago, Frozen Tundra said:

There will come a time when East loses an HHC game and there will come a time when East is no longer on top. Personally, I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon but I'm not dumb enough to take it for granted. I still remember the dark ages of East football in the late 90s. We went 6-5 in '03 (my freshman year) so I was there during a time when East wasn't the dominant HHC football team. I just hope our younger crowd continues to show up when they see East losing for the first time in their lives. And I hope the older crowd isn't short-sighted and remembers to support the team through the tough times once again.

You have a Markell Jones mini-me in the making right now in the McDonald kid.. he’s going to be an all out stud. 

• Like 1

Just now, Olympian06 said:

You have a Markell Jones mini-me in the making right now in the McDonald kid.. he’s going to be an all out stud. 

I saw him play plenty of second halves last year so I know how good that kid is. lol

1 minute ago, Olympian06 said:

Our Freshman RB is phenomenal. I don't know if we have the same caliber of O-lineman that East will have though. 

12 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Good point Dante

I think the entire concept of high school athletic conferences, specifically in Indiana, has taken on a whole new direction and purpose over the past decade.

Conferences used to be driven by one singular force, and that was "competitiveness."  The goal was to build league strength from top to bottom, develop a reputation for power and balance, and be a force with regular member participation in post season play.

Most of that has been pushed by the wayside.

Now, the key conference buzzword is "convenience."  

Competitiveness is pushed aside and sacrificed for every possible cost saving measure that can be implemented :

Travel reduction

Staff reductions (both quality and quantity)

Program disinvestment

A school like CE, which is an attractive target for a conference looking to improve its competitive profile, stands pat, because its the convenient thing to do.  Munster does the same thing in The Region by staying in the Northwest Crossroads, when they should be competing in the Duneland.  Lafayette Jeff is stuck in the North Central, when other options, including independence, might better suit their competitive needs and desires.

Madison and Jennings County have no business in this league, but remain out of "convenience," despite the humiliating competitive disadvantage they face year after year.  Its "convenient" for them to stay.

We lack leaders in this current environment, bold visionaries who are ready, willing and able to break the status quo and set a new course.  Conservatism and Protectionism reign supreme.  Perhaps our Glorious National Leader is truly having an impact on the national psyche.  

Conference are about more than just Football. East is a mid-pack contender in most sports. VB has historically been strong, soccer is a decent program, typically they are decent in baseball, but they never have the two D1 pitchers NA or Jeff comes up with year. Keeping in mind that in sports other than Football, the entire conference is in the same sectional except East and Madison. East could probably compete favorably in the Mid-States across the board. They will have similar or worst results in non-football sports if they go to CI or HCC. 

Maybe it's not the outlier schools that have a problem going to metro conferences, you ever consider it's the metro conferences that don't want to travel to outlier schools? 

We have @Muda69 railing in every other thread about the amount of money schools spend on athletics and we have you railing that the schools should spend more on travel. The rank and file members of the GID are already burnt out reading this crap. Each school in the HHC is locked into the HHC for the foreseeable future. East and North will not be in the same conference in our lifetimes.  You're beating a dead horse, not giving it CPR.

70b61a29f80755e95fcbe224aa6a8768.jpg

14 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

We have @Muda69 railing in every other thread about the amount of money schools spend on athletics

Actually there shouldn't be government school sponsored athletic teams, it should all be a private club model.  But that is for another discussion.

And I didn't realize that Madison is in the Hoosier Hills Conference.  Too bad for the Cubs, they are obviously over matched.  Charming little city though.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Too bad for the Cubs, they are obviously over matched. 

And you would think that Madison losing every year since 1973 or so would clue someone in administration to do something about it, but that hasn't happened yet.

32 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Actually there shouldn't be government school sponsored athletic teams, it should all be a private club model.  But that is for another discussion.

And I didn't realize that Madison is in the Hoosier Hills Conference.  Too bad for the Cubs, they are obviously over matched.  Charming little city though.

Traditionally Madison competed just fine. Specifically had outstanding basketball, baseball, and wrestling programs. I'm not sure what the deal is there, the schools has contracted some over they years, they don't have the enrollment they used to have. I'm sure they lose some kids to Shawe and Southwestern as well. Seems like a thriving little town, some of the industry has gone, but they still have a strong industrial base there. Reminds me a lot of South Dearborn, they seem very similar in terms of athletic programs to me.

35 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Traditionally Madison competed just fine. Specifically had outstanding basketball, baseball, and wrestling programs. I'm not sure what the deal is there, the schools has contracted some over they years, they don't have the enrollment they used to have. I'm sure they lose some kids to Shawe and Southwestern as well. Seems like a thriving little town, some of the industry has gone, but they still have a strong industrial base there. Reminds me a lot of South Dearborn, they seem very similar in terms of athletic programs to me.

I remember reading this story a couple months ago about Madison and it's troubling suicide & drug addictions problem:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/sports/opioids-suicide.html

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Traditionally Madison competed just fine.

When was the last time Madison won a conference title, in any sport?