• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Off In The Yard

Way too close to home

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Business as usual in TrumpWorld

I don’t pay much attention to the news. Have all of these school shooters been Trump supporters? Were there ever school shootings before Trump was President?

Edited by Kamikaze
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

I don’t pay much attention to the news. Have all of these school shooters been Trump supporters? Were there ever school shootings before Trump was President?

Not sure about all the crazy shooters.  The only one I know about definitively was the dude that shot up the Republican congressmen...he was a "Resistance" dude (Democrat).  It just sounds so "Che Guevaraish" to say 'Resistance"....makes you one of the cool kids. 

Still, it's all Trump's fault...somehow.

Its the upside down world we live in.  

Nonetheless, an awful thing.  I understand the teacher who intervened was an-ex football player from Southern Illinois University.

Edited by Lysander
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Not sure about all the crazy shooters.  The only one I know about definitively was the dude that shot up the Republican congressmen...he was a "Resistance" dude (Democrat).  It just sounds so "Che Guevaraish" to say 'Resistance"....makes you one of the cool kids. 

Still, it's all Trump's fault...somehow.

Its the upside down world we live in.  

Nonetheless, an awful thing.  I understand the teacher who intervened was an-ex football player from Southern Illinois University.

It's not Trump's fault. It's just accepted as a normal event to be shrugged off in the current amoral cultural climate we find ourselves living in. 

Trump's response will be,"oh well, it's another terrible school shooting. Unfortunate and too bad, but it is what it is.". 

• Downvote 2

Its always been amoral.

When did you become that naive?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Please, get off this. Obama was just as bad, if not more. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, psaboy said:

Please, get off this. Obama was just as bad, if not more. 

Agreed insofar as this is a subject that should find itself on the OOB page.  

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 2

What would you have Trump do?  There's no amount of legislation or gun-banning that will stop evil people from doing evil things. 

Parents and schools have to do better job. A kid where's a trench coat to school with communist patches on it in 90 degree heat carrying a sawed off shotgun and nobody notices😳

FBI and local law enforcement called to Florida kids home 39 TIMES before he pulled trigger

Think you can drop the Trump bashing

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I don't see anyone bashing Trump here

This has just become the norm in the current cultural climate in this country. And the President's response reflects that reality. He accepts the fact that sporadic high school gun slaughters are normal for a gun loving society such as the US. It is what it is. Many people are starting to adopt his way of thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

"Thanks to very brave Teacher & Hero Jason Seaman of Noblesville, Indiana, for his heroic act in saving so many precious young lives. His quick and automatic action is being talked about all over the world!"

ya his response is horrible

somehow I don't believe his "response" would be viewed as positive in today's culture no matter what he does or says

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I don't see anyone bashing Trump here

This has just become the norm in the current cultural climate in this country. And the President's response reflects that reality. He accepts the fact that sporadic high school gun slaughters are normal for a gun loving society such as the US. It is what it is. Many people are starting to adopt his way of thinking. 

Seriously?

So your response above to a post referencing a high school shooting is "Business as usual in TrumpWorld" and then you say in almost the same breathe - "I don't see anyone bashing Trump here".

I didn't realize one could compact that much dishonesty in such a short form. 

I don't own a gun....never have.  I have never shot a gun.  I certainly don't "love" guns.  I do, though, care just as much about the Second Amendment as the First.  That apparently, makes me "amoral" according to your great logic or (through some sort of convoluted thinking) distantly responsible for HS shootings.

Bear in mind, I also like the First Amendment and have no issue with you using it like a drunken 16 year old behind the wheel of a car.... as you have done above.  

Does tolerating outright and obvious dishonesty on the written page (per your scribblings above)  in defense of the First Amendment also make me "amoral"?   Does it make me a co-conspirator in your assault against logic and intellectual honesty?

Edited by Lysander
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 5/25/2018 at 2:52 PM, DrivenT said:

So when the police were being ambushed on a weekly basis was that Obama World?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Seriously?

So your response above to a post referencing a high school shooting is "Business as usual in TrumpWorld" and then you say in almost the same breathe - "I don't see anyone bashing Trump here".

I didn't realize one could compact that much dishonesty in such a short form. 

I don't own a gun....never have.  I have never shot a gun.  I certainly don't "love" guns.  I do, though, care just as much about the Second Amendment as the First.  That apparently, makes me "amoral" according to your great logic or (through some sort of convoluted thinking) distantly responsible for HS shootings.

Bear in mind, I also like the First Amendment and have no issue with you using it like a drunken 16 year old behind the wheel of a car.... as you have done above.  

Does tolerating outright and obvious dishonesty on the written page (per your scribblings above)  in defense of the First Amendment also make me "amoral"?   Does it make me a co-conspirator in your assault against logic and intellectual honesty?

I saw Trump interviewed recently after one of the shootings (can't recall which one) and his response seemed very honest and very forthright.

It is what it is, get on with your lives people.  That was his basic message.  Not very presidential, but no one ever accused Trump of being presidential.  

I can see where he is coming from, as he is being very pragmatic.  If you want to live in a society of total freedom, random gun related mayhem will be a natural side effect.  I get it.  Just hope to avoid it.  What's so dishonest about that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Sources, please.

• Upvote 2

It's always the Presidents fault... Obama should have done more... Trump should do more.  Fact is things are messed up at foundational level.  Too many parents asleep at the wheel.  

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Sources? Where were you hiding?

In the land where claims were substantiated by evidence.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You all can take all that other stuff to the endless threads to discuss,  I however would like to focus in on the the job of the Coach Jason Seaman, who was just released from Hospital a few hours ago.   His actions looks to have potential saved lives .  Incredible reaction to a horrific event that transpired right in front of him.   All my positive love and vibes that way!!!   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

agreed Coach Nowlin, keep the initial post and yours and remove the bullcrap in between.... I'd like to see everyone focus on the good actions of Coach Seaman and pray for the 13 year old girl and her family !

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The Santa Fe, Texas school shooting incident may represent a major turning point on this issue of school shootings

Texans, the largest gun toting society in the western world, have watched idly as other other states have suffered school related gun violence. Now this has happened in their own backyard. They will, and already are, responding with force

You will see gun toting teachers, admins, coaches, hall monitors and private security people soon all over Texas high schools. They will not take this attack sitting down. Their response will set a new precedent on how to deal with this problem at the local level. 

Edited by DrivenT
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I grew up around guns... I own guns.  I am a hunter, but also enjoy the shooting at targets.  My father never had his guns locked up.  I could have grabbed any of them anytime I wanted but I never did.  Why?  Because I learned at a very early age what guns could do.  I was taught you never point a gun at something you don't intend to kill... And if you kill it better have been threatening your life or you better eat it.  I grew up with friends who were very much brought up the same way.  Guns were around, Guns were prevalent, but we all knew what a gun could do to a human as well as an animal.  We were taught to respect the power of the gun and we were taught to understand what a gun could do. 

Did we value life much more than some of the kids today?  Kids were bullied back in my day probably more so than today... But I never once thought about killing/shooting that person. 

What has changed? 

Gun laws have tightened over the last 20 years, but school shootings have increased.  So logic tells me more gun laws isn't going to combat this.  I also don't agree with completely banning guns either (though I agree a 30 round mag for an AR isn't needed for civilians). 

Logically... What can be done? 

Edited by 1st_and_10
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 4:11 PM, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Per DT's logic (which he seems to be walking WAAAAAY back....), it would seem to be Obama World as well.  

That said, Trump simply seemed to stand up for the Constitution (NO Big Trump fan here, btw...for the record).

I am kind of, marginally (apparently in the minority), a fan of the Constitution, though.  So many on the Left seem seem not to be a fan these days.  

For the record, those great folks on the Left (USSR and China) have somehow found themselves "missing" of more citizens than anyone in the last 118 years.  Literally 100s of millions...Hitler would be jealous.

Nobody has the body count of the Left....yet they somehow "love" us and are just trying to do the right thing in slaughtering those who just can"t get along.  God bless them.

One would think the Gulag or Animal Farm would have made the point...

Back to the point, the Second Amendment was about protection from the government as much as self-protection from some stupid robber..been robbed...btw.  Actually we were robbed back in 2010 the very day of the Chatard/Hamilton Heights Regional game...my youngest was home sick and was terrorized that day (he hid in a closet)...wished I had a gun (or shotgun) and had trained my Jr. High son how to deal with the robbery.   Kid has been scarred by it..to this day.   

We need to figure out how we can protect schools (believe me). 

That said, the several 100,000 under 20 year old kids who fought and died for this Constitution and the Second Amendment over the last 200 years...greatly outweigh the tragic news of the day.

We lose 33,000 people per year in car accidents...yet we are so anxious to give up a Constitutional right that, although. are tragic (newsmaking) numbers represent a literal a fraction of that.

Are we prepared to dump the Constitution for the news of the day?

We never were before...but then we didn't have Facebook, Twitter,etc.

This is the most important generation ever...just ask them.

They won our freedom vs. the Brits (on a videogame) and they beat the NAZIs (also on a videogame).

They are just awesome.

Truly, they need to run the world.  

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I guess my original post should have included more info. We have a coach, Jason Seamen, that has saved countless lives through his heroic actions and yet there is a long diatribe about politics. I for one have encouraged civil political debate but this forum is not the place for it. As a whole, not everyone will agree on a particular political stance as everyone has a different opinion and that is a great thing about this country. 

Honestly, my opinion is that no matter who is in office, they can't do anything to stop this. The problem is not with the politicians, although they don't help matters any. The problem lies squarely on each of us as a society. The signs have been there for a long time. First, we take God out of the schools. I'm not advocating that every student has to participate in prayer or that everyone should follow one particular religion. But we have gotten away from God, what He stands for, and the peace and goodwill the bible teaches. Whether you believe in God or not, there is still a great foundation of hope, truth and goodwill people can learn from the Bible. Next we take authority to punish kids that misbehave in the classroom. Sure we have milder forms of discipline, but there really are no repercussions for bad behavior in school. Little Johnny's parents are right there to sue if the school system even thinks about holding him accountable for his actions. Then we take punishment away from the parents. Spank a kid in this day and age? Forget about it. Next thing you know, your children are taken away and you are being punished for "beating" your child. 

Next, we have everyone challenging authority. Everyone thinks that everybody else is out to get them. Cops are bad. Judges are bad. Lawyers are bad, well that one is true. Truth is you break the law and get caught, all of a sudden you are a victim. Sure, there are corrupt cops. How many? 1 out of 100?, 1000? more?  Our society has taken accountability and thrown it out the window. Why pay for your crime when you can blame the cop, the schools, the President? It's easier to pass the blame than to accept the fact you have done something wrong. 

I'm not on a high horse, far from it. I am not perfect but I do own it when I make a mistake. 

I'm done ranting now. I never intended for this post to end up political. I guess it should be moved or closed/deleted. Back to football...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

11 hours ago, Off In The Yard said:

Honestly, my opinion is that no matter who is in office, they can't do anything to stop this.

Not with that attitude.

• Upvote 1