• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired

Recommended Posts

My son just said on Twitter there is a tweet that Penn and Cathedral are playing 4 games home and home beginning in 2020 through 2023 home and home

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that today also!  They have scheduled Illinois Homewood Flossmoor on 9/6/19 supposedly an Illinois powerhouse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pennfan67 said:

I saw that today also!  They have scheduled Illinois Homewood Flossmoor on 9/6/19 supposedly an Illinois powerhouse!

Not supposedly. They are the real deal. IMHO, they are in the same league, if not a step above, this past years (2017 fb season) BD squad. 

Edited by Coach Ellenwood
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Not supposedly. They are the real deal. IMHO, they are in the same league, if not a step above, this past years (2017 fb season) BD squad. 

Flossmoor is beyond the real deal. They would easily be the best team in Indiana. Ridiculous facilities. They have a 40 yard indoor field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Davs said:

Flossmoor is beyond the real deal. They would easily be the best team in Indiana. Ridiculous facilities. They have a 40 yard indoor field. 

Easily? I don’t think so. Definitely on par with BD and WC in terms of talent, but they haven’t cashed in on an 8A Title. The year they lost to Loyola in semi’s has prob been Buzeas best team there. 

Edited by Boilernation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Not supposedly. They are the real deal. IMHO, they are in the same league, if not a step above, this past years (2017 fb season) BD squad. 

🙄🙄🙄 Definitely your opinion.  There is no doubt that HF would fit in the MIC, but they have not had a team that is “a step above” the ‘17 BD team (IMHO).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My preferred matchup would be a 4 team Saturday Jamboree at Carmel Stadium featuring Carmel and Center Grove hosting Lincoln Way and HF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HF’s Coach Greg Buzea is no stranger to Freed Field, if that’s where the Penn-HF game will take place. He took the Portage Indians there several times ... without much success. But I particularly remember the 1998 regional, when Portage staggered the Kingsmen with 2 quick TDs, and was in good position to add a third when a roughing the passer call went Penn’s way. They ended up kicking a field goal, and eventually won, 23-21. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Let's play four at Lucas Oil with our top four teams playing the best of Illinois, Michigan, Kentucky and Ohio.     Two on Friday and two on Saturday.

Edited by whiteshoes
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, scarletknights said:

🙄🙄🙄 Definitely your opinion.  There is no doubt that HF would fit in the MIC, but they have not had a team that is “a step above” the ‘17 BD team (IMHO).

The Vikings are one of the better IHSA teams.  But, I don't think they're quite as good as teams in the Northern (New Trier) and Western (Hinsdale Central/South) as well as the Catholic juggernaut (Loyola Academy, Mt. Carmel).  I also wonder how MIC schools would fare in the Dupage Valley Conference and Central Suburban League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gipper said:

The Vikings are one of the better IHSA teams.  But, I don't think they're quite as good as teams in the Northern (New Trier) and Western (Hinsdale Central/South) as well as the Catholic juggernaut (Loyola Academy, Mt. Carmel).  I also wonder how MIC schools would fare in the Dupage Valley Conference and Central Suburban League.

DuPage Valley is pretty tough. One of their bottom feeders came down to Fishers a few years ago and smacked HSE around. Personally, I think top tier MIC teams could fair well in any Midwestern conference. A lot of talent, good coaching, and very large enrollments. From a pure raw athletic standpoint, only Bolingbrook and H-F in the Chicago area can compare to Warren or BD.  Though I think both of those Illinois schools are smaller in enrollment. The Naperville schools, Glenbard West, New Trier, Hinsdale Central, Maine South, Lincoln Way East, etc., are more similar to a Carmel. It’s been quite some time, but Maine South came down to Indy and got the everlasting crap beat out of them by Warren. I think that was during the Wright dynasty. Some of the Chicago Catholic league teams like Loyola, St Rita, and Mt. Carmel are bigger (in enrollment) versions than Cathedral. 

Edited by Boilernation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

DuPage Valley is pretty tough. One of their bottom feeders came down to Fishers a few years ago and smacked HSE around. Personally, I think top tier MIC teams could fair well in any Midwestern conference. A lot of talent, good coaching, and very large enrollments. From a pure raw athletic standpoint, only Bolingbrook and H-F in the Chicago area can compare to Warren or BD.  Though I think both of those Illinois schools are smaller in enrollment. The Naperville schools, Glenbard West, New Trier, Hinsdale Central, Maine South, Lincoln Way East, etc., are more similar to a Carmel. It’s been quite some time, but Maine South came down to Indy and got the everlasting crap beat out of them by Warren. I think that was during the Wright dynasty. Some of the Chicago Catholic league teams like Loyola, St Rita, and Mt. Carmel are bigger (in enrollment) versions than Cathedral. 

I saw Naperville Central in person last year. They ended up winning the DuPage Valley Conference. I would put them on a par with Carmel, Center Grove, Cathedral, Penn, etc. I thought they were a step below the Warren, BD level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bobref said:

I saw Naperville Central in person last year. They ended up winning the DuPage Valley Conference. I would put them on a par with Carmel, Center Grove, Cathedral, Penn, etc. I thought they were a step below the Warren, BD level.

I agree with that.  New Trier may be the closest to Warren and BD in Illinois.  Phillips HS on the South Side has been doing very well lately, but their enrollment is closer to that of a 4A or 5A school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gipper said:

I agree with that.  New Trier may be the closest to Warren and BD in Illinois.  Phillips HS on the South Side has been doing very well lately, but their enrollment is closer to that of a 4A or 5A school.

Are you referring to size of school? The housing values in the villages that feed into New Trier make Carmel, Zionsville, Valpo, Munster, etc. look like paupers. You're more likely to see a hockey rink in someone's back yard in the New Trier area than a football player that resembles the type BD and WC get. 

I know Phillips is pretty good, but I doubt they would have the depth to hang in 6A in Indiana, let alone the higher Illinois classes. Reminds me of the Saginaw, MI, team that Penn clobbered when they had Lamar Woodley and a few other D1 recruits. They tried playing literally everyone both ways against Penn and were gassed by the 3rd quarter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Are you referring to size of school? The housing values in the villages that feed into New Trier make Carmel, Zionsville, Valpo, Munster, etc. look like paupers. You're more likely to see a hockey rink in someone's back yard in the New Trier area than a football player that resembles the type BD and WC get. 

I know Phillips is pretty good, but I doubt they would have the depth to hang in 6A in Indiana, let alone the higher Illinois classes. Reminds me of the Saginaw, MI, team that Penn clobbered when they had Lamar Woodley and a few other D1 recruits. They tried playing literally everyone both ways against Penn and were gassed by the 3rd quarter.

 

Right you are, NT has a large enrollment, but hasn’t been consistently good in football fir awhile.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Are you referring to size of school? The housing values in the villages that feed into New Trier make Carmel, Zionsville, Valpo, Munster, etc. look like paupers. You're more likely to see a hockey rink in someone's back yard in the New Trier area than a football player that resembles the type BD and WC get. 

I know Phillips is pretty good, but I doubt they would have the depth to hang in 6A in Indiana, let alone the higher Illinois classes. Reminds me of the Saginaw, MI, team that Penn clobbered when they had Lamar Woodley and a few other D1 recruits. They tried playing literally everyone both ways against Penn and were gassed by the 3rd quarter.

 

I was at that game and it was phenomenal. Saginaw was very entertaining with their band and they traveled very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that is a great match-up for the Penn program. So the play St X and HF in 2019 and 2020?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Penn moving towards independence?

The NIC seems to be eroding at this point looking ahead.  

Mishawaka has lost the coach that defined its excellence over the past decade.  

An uncompetitive EC program might be even worse after consolidation with Memorial.  Note Anderson and Muncie prior consolidations 

South Bend city schools are losing numbers.

Several schools have been mentioned as candidates to jump to the NLC.  SBSJ/MM/NP/JT

Lots of questions for Penn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 3:16 AM, AverageAmericanMale said:

 

Hope u whoop them. They were some sore losers when they lost to Warren 2 years ago. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, warren05 said:

Hope u whoop them. They were some sore losers when they lost to Warren 2 years ago. 

Think Penn would do well to win 1 of the 4 games . But win or lose , it will be a win for Penn because they get to see MIC caliber talent(or better) early in the year . 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HF is definitely on par with BD and WC in terms of talent and athletes but I don't think they were light years ahead of BD from last year. They play Michigan City this year in Michigan City, last year Michigan City went over to their and took a beating, the only loss they had all year that wasn't a last minute one. HF will no longer be playing Michigan city after this year which opens them up for a good non conference non Illinois first game of the year and for them, quality of opponent matters for playoff purposes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DACNUT said:

HF is definitely on par with BD and WC in terms of talent and athletes but I don't think they were light years ahead of BD from last year. They play Michigan City this year in Michigan City, last year Michigan City went over to their and took a beating, the only loss they had all year that wasn't a last minute one. HF will no longer be playing Michigan city after this year which opens them up for a good non conference non Illinois first game of the year and for them, quality of opponent matters for playoff purposes. 

Who said HF was “light years ahead” of BD from last year?  Sorry. May have missed it?

 

btw. What Coach joined MC this year that you eluded to in another thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.