• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Jason Grunewald new HFC at Munster

18 minutes ago, rat man said:

Is that for sure happening? I know there have been talks and things in the Times, but I haven't seen any recent articles about all that was proposed to go up by Wolf Lake. Was that passed with the referendum last year? What all was proposed? Clark could use an update. Their facilities are on par, if not lacking behind Hammond High's and Gavit's.

You have a good point, but until Clark starts winning, I don't think Whiting and Clark will completely flip or trade program success. As long as Whiting has Jeff Cain the HOF caliber coach that has built an incredible program and stays a little better academically than Clark, I don't see Whiting going downhill. It also helps that Whiting is 2A and Clark stuck in the 3A sectional with Andrean, Hanover, West Laf, Twin Lakes and Wheeler, the at most 20 kids that stay at Clark aren't going to win that sectional any time soon. Soccer is king at Clark and I don't see that changing with a new field.

All that said, I really like Coach Testa at Clark. From the interviews I've read, he seems like a good guy and has made good progress with the Pioneers in his first season. 

Also, I love that we finally are talking Region football on this board. Very rarely get to do so. 

Clark is 1-29 over the past 3 seasons.  This program should be contracted.  It consumes valuable school resources, and puts kids at risk due to extremely low numbers and significant matchup deficiencies against other 3A/4A schools.  Hammond kids have plenty of options if they want to play high school football.  Pull the plug on the Clark football program.  Its the right thing to do for all parties involved.  

http://pastfb.homestead.com/logs/HammondClark.htm#loaded

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, rat man said:

Is that for sure happening? I know there have been talks and things in the Times, but I haven't seen any recent articles about all that was proposed to go up by Wolf Lake. Was that passed with the referendum last year? What all was proposed? Clark could use an update. Their facilities are on par, if not lacking behind Hammond High's and Gavit's.

You have a good point, but until Clark starts winning, I don't think Whiting and Clark will completely flip or trade program success. As long as Whiting has Jeff Cain the HOF caliber coach that has built an incredible program and stays a little better academically than Clark, I don't see Whiting going downhill. It also helps that Whiting is 2A and Clark stuck in the 3A sectional with Andrean, Hanover, West Laf, Twin Lakes and Wheeler, the at most 20 kids that stay at Clark aren't going to win that sectional any time soon. Soccer is king at Clark and I don't see that changing with a new field.

All that said, I really like Coach Testa at Clark. From the interviews I've read, he seems like a good guy and has made good progress with the Pioneers in his first season. 

Also, I love that we finally are talking Region football on this board. Very rarely get to do so. 

I enjoy talking about Region football--time to wake a sleeping giant.

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I enjoy talking about Region football--time to wake a sleeping giant.

LOL   There are no sleeping giants in The Region.  Lots of midgets.  Mostly at the 6A level.  

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

LOL   There are no sleeping giants in The Region.  Lots of midgets.  Mostly at the 6A level.  

Point.  Although our 6A teams could use some vast improvements, I'm most happy with 4A, and to a lesser degree (no pun intended) 3A.

Since the early 2000’s, there has been one region high school football program consistently relevant state-wide:

Lowell Red Devils

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 8mpg said:

Since the early 2000’s, there has been one region high school football program consistently relevant state-wide:

Lowell Red Devils

I've heard of them.

27 minutes ago, 8mpg said:

Lowell Red Devils

Interesting comment coming from a southern Indiana guy, where high school football ranks just above underwater basket weaving on most schools list of extra curricular activities.  :07_v:

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, 8mpg said:

Lowell Red Devils

I'd argue Andrean has been relevant as well. 2-3 in State Title games since '01. 

Demographics have rapidly changed in the Region since the turn of the century. Lake County is the most diverse county in the state ethnically and racially. Past "state-wide relevant" programs like Griffith, Hobart and Merrillville have experienced large increases in Hispanic student population which has led to a rise in soccer and minor decreases to their football programs, among many other factors. 

The biggest hindering factor for 6A NWI teams is simply due to the lack of a large city and metro population of that city. Indy is 800,000+ and well over a million metro population. Fort Wayne is 270,000 not counting metro. South Bend is a city of 110000 and large metro area that allows for Penn to have 3000+ kids. These large cities typically bring a larger talent pool of kids. Lake County's largest two cities are Hammond and Gary both around 80k. Crown Point is barely 30k and LC draws from 3 towns that add up to maybe 55000. Larger job markets bring families in to SB, FW and Indy while not as many people are moving to NWI and if they do, they have about 30 different high schools they can choose to live in. 

You can argue a million reasons why the Region has fallen off the statewide stage, but one of the biggest reasons has to be due to the large population growth around Indy and stagnant growth and loss of population in NWI since 2000. Yes, LC, CP, Valpo and Merrillville should be more successful than they have been and you can argue many reasons and be right, but they don't have the same numbers to access to the quality athletes that Carmel, FW Snider, Penn or Ben Davis do and I think that's the biggest factor in lack of success. 

And no offense 8mpg, but it's not like the greater Orange County area has had many relevant programs state wide either. Certainly not the same rich history that Northwest Indiana football has.

Edited by rat man
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/30/2018 at 4:50 PM, DrivenT said:

Maybe Bobref can shed some light on who were some of the other candidates. 

I don’t think it’s appropriate to “out” people who applied for a job and didn’t get it, unless it’s reported in the media, or the guy being “outed” is OK with it.

i will say, however, that with the naming of the new coach at Hanover Central, if you knew who the other finalist was for that job, you would be absolutely stunned.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the lesson on Southern Indiana/Orange County football rat man and T.  Your disparaging comments on football in my area are just a sad attempt to deflect facts. I was not making a comparison, just a statement. A statement that is accurate.

Andrean? They were most certainly relevant state wide in the early 2000s, but have not remained consistently relevant. 

Back to the topic - Good luck to Coach Grunewald and the Mustangs!

Edited by 8mpg

1 hour ago, bobref said:

I don’t think it’s appropriate to “out” people who applied for a job and didn’t get it, unless it’s reported in the media, or the guy being “outed” is OK with it.

i will say, however, that with the naming of the new coach at Hanover Central, if you knew who the other finalist was for that job, you would be absolutely stunned.

I believe you are referencing Phil Mason as a finalist for the Hanover job, which is indeed shocking

Why?

Does he desire a return to small school football?  

Could there be commuting issues relative to MC's location?

Mason has a history of moving. Maybe he just gets bored after 5 years and is ready for a new challenge

I thought Munster might ignore it's best inner instincts and take a shot on Mason, given his impressive post season pedigree

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

I believe you are referencing Phil Mason as a finalist for the Hanover job, which is indeed shocking

Why?

Does he desire a return to small school football?  

Could there be commuting issues relative to MC's location?

Mason has a history of moving. Maybe he just gets bored after 5 years and is ready for a new challenge

I thought Munster might ignore it's best inner instincts and take a shot on Mason, given his impressive post season pedigree

That is your speculation, not mine.

18 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Interesting comment coming from a southern Indiana guy, where high school football ranks just above underwater basket weaving on most schools list of extra curricular activities.  :07_v:

:15_v:

Posted (edited)

Hey,

We've gotta co-exist with our Southern brethren.  I married a lovely lady from the 812 and am very happy for it!!! 

Edited by Gipper

17 hours ago, rat man said:

I'd argue Andrean has been relevant as well. 2-3 in State Title games since '01. 

Demographics have rapidly changed in the Region since the turn of the century. Lake County is the most diverse county in the state ethnically and racially. Past "state-wide relevant" programs like Griffith, Hobart and Merrillville have experienced large increases in Hispanic student population which has led to a rise in soccer and minor decreases to their football programs, among many other factors. 

The biggest hindering factor for 6A NWI teams is simply due to the lack of a large city and metro population of that city. Indy is 800,000+ and well over a million metro population. Fort Wayne is 270,000 not counting metro. South Bend is a city of 110000 and large metro area that allows for Penn to have 3000+ kids. These large cities typically bring a larger talent pool of kids. Lake County's largest two cities are Hammond and Gary both around 80k. Crown Point is barely 30k and LC draws from 3 towns that add up to maybe 55000. Larger job markets bring families in to SB, FW and Indy while not as many people are moving to NWI and if they do, they have about 30 different high schools they can choose to live in. 

You can argue a million reasons why the Region has fallen off the statewide stage, but one of the biggest reasons has to be due to the large population growth around Indy and stagnant growth and loss of population in NWI since 2000. Yes, LC, CP, Valpo and Merrillville should be more successful than they have been and you can argue many reasons and be right, but they don't have the same numbers to access to the quality athletes that Carmel, FW Snider, Penn or Ben Davis do and I think that's the biggest factor in lack of success. 

And no offense 8mpg, but it's not like the greater Orange County area has had many relevant programs state wide either. Certainly not the same rich history that Northwest Indiana football has.

I don't quite agree with this geographic logic

The Region remains the second largest metro/populated area in the state at roughly 450,000 residents , behind Indy and ahead of South Bend, Fort Wayne and Evansville.

Region population has been stagnant for the past decade.  Up a little, down a little.  But no significant change.

Several of the states largest high schools reside in The Region   Lake Central (3300)  Crown Point (2800) Portage (2700)  Chesterton , Merrillville and Valpo.  These schools are all bigger in enrollment than almost any FW or SB school ( Penn is the exception)  

The performance drag from Region high schools in football is a combination of the following long trending issues :

* Numbers are down , especially at the big school level.

* Talent pool is down considerably.  The Region no longer produces D1 college football players.  This is the biggest change, in my view.  The Duneland used to send loads of kids to Big Ten, MAC and service academy schools.  This is no longer the case.  East Chicago, Hammond and Gary,  cities who have been developing college football players for 50 years, are no longer relevant on the college recruiting trail.  

* Coaching is at a historical all time low in The Region - The collective experience , success and overall reputation of Region high school football coaches is at historically low levels.  The recent move at Munster reinforces the current trend away from experience and towards convenience.

* Community support has dried up.  Attendance is abysmal at Region football games, despite decent to very good facilities.  

* Feeder programs are losing the battle to soccer and soccer moms.  The influence of hispanic inbound migration is changing forever the focus on high school sporting activities of choice.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I don't quite agree with this geographic logic

The Region remains the second largest metro/populated area in the state at roughly 450,000 residents , behind Indy and ahead of South Bend, Fort Wayne and Evansville.

Region population has been stagnant for the past decade.  Up a little, down a little.  But no significant change.

Several of the states largest high schools reside in The Region   Lake Central (3300)  Crown Point (2800) Portage (2700)  Chesterton , Merrillville and Valpo.  These schools are all bigger in enrollment than almost any FW or SB school ( Penn is the exception)  

The performance drag from Region high schools in football is a combination of the following long trending issues :

* Numbers are down , especially at the big school level.

* Talent pool is down considerably.  The Region no longer produces D1 college football players.  This is the biggest change, in my view.  The Duneland used to send loads of kids to Big Ten, MAC and service academy schools.  This is no longer the case.  East Chicago, Hammond and Gary,  cities who have been developing college football players for 50 years, are no longer relevant on the college recruiting trail.  

* Coaching is at a historical all time low in The Region - The collective experience , success and overall reputation of Region high school football coaches is at historically low levels.  The recent move at Munster reinforces the current trend away from experience and towards convenience.

* Community support has dried up.  Attendance is abysmal at Region football games, despite decent to very good facilities.  

* Feeder programs are losing the battle to soccer and soccer moms.  The influence of hispanic inbound migration is changing forever the focus on high school sporting activities of choice.

Community support does vary by municipality.  I live in the Tri-Creek (Lowell HS) school district and the amount of support the team receives is incredible.

1 minute ago, Gipper said:

Community support does vary by municipality.  I live in the Tri-Creek (Lowell HS) school district and the amount of support the team receives is incredible.

OK, so the Devils have been very successful which does provide some insight to their rabid following.  But Hanover is also well-supported and their program is relatively new. 

13 minutes ago, Gipper said:

OK, so the Devils have been very successful which does provide some insight to their rabid following.  But Hanover is also well-supported and their program is relatively new. 

You really have to try and take a macro view of the overall situation, rather than an isolated micro view on the most successful program in the area.

Using your logic, Lowell might be wise to distance itself from Region inherent problems and seek a new home with new opponents and new rivalries.  Really, why would Lowell want to travel to Hammond, Gary, Merrillville, East Chicago, Highland, Hobart, etc., when they could look south or east for a better situation for themselves, and brother Kankakee Valley?  

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

You really have to try and take a macro view of the overall situation, rather than an isolated micro view on the most successful program in the area.

Using your logic, Lowell might be wise to distance itself from Region inherent problems and seek a new home with new opponents and new rivalries.  Really, why would Lowell want to travel to Hammond, Gary, Merrillville, East Chicago, Highland, Hobart, etc., when they could look south or east for a better situation for themselves, and brother Kankakee Valley?  

Good question.  I would like playing Plymouth more, but that's a time zone issue.  New Prairie's not, though. 

2 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Good question.  I would like playing Plymouth more, but that's a time zone issue.  New Prairie's not, though. 

You just have to wonder.  Would you rather put your team on a bus at Lowell High School and fight your way up 65 or 41 to get to northern Lake County during peak Friday traffic?

Or jump on I65 southbound, 5 minutes from campus, and take a leisurely ride down to the Lafayette area, where growth and development are off the charts?

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The recent move at Munster reinforces the current trend away from experience and towards convenience.

My point was the lack of a singular large city like the 3 I mentioned means that people aren't moving to the Region in mass for new jobs like they are to Indy suburbs, Penn or Fort Wayne. This results in a lesser talent pool. Yes, NWI is the 2nd largest area in the state and school enrollments are larger, but the population is aging and young families arent moving here as rapidly as they are those other areas.

And your quote is a poor point. The last 2 and only 2 football coaches that Munster hired were first time head coaches in Friend and Marsh. I think they worked out ok for Munster. Jeff Cain's first head job was at Whiting and won the Regional his 2nd year. Buzea first head job was at Portage and they were state runner up his first year. Same for Brad Smith @ Crown Point and your coach Dave Shelborne's first head job was at Highland. Hiring an assistant that went to your school, has been on staff 10 years and knows the kids (all of which are true for Grunewald) I think has a little edge on an outside candidate that may not know the school as well. 

Edited by rat man

2 minutes ago, rat man said:

My point was the lack of a singular large city like the 3 I mentioned means that people aren't moving to the Region in mass for new jobs like they are to Indy suburbs, Penn or Fort Wayne. This results in a lesser talent pool. Yes, NWI is the 2nd largest area in the state and school enrollments are larger, but the population is aging and young families arent moving here as rapidly as they are those other areas.

And your quote is a poor point. The last 2 and only 2 football coaches that Munster hired were first time head coaches in Friend and Marsh. I think they worked out ok for Munster. Jeff Cain's first head job was at Whiting and won the Regional his 2nd year. Buzea first head job was at Portage and they were state runner up his first year. Same for Brad Smith @ Crown Point and your coach Brad Shelborne's first head job was at Highland. Hiring an assistant that went to your school, has been on staff 10 years and knows the kids (all of which are true for Grunewald) I think has a little edge on an outside candidate that may not know the school as well. 

Again, I think it all comes down to expectations.

The Munster hire screams "let's maintain the status quo."  

Just an opinion.  

4 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Again, I think it all comes down to expectations.

The Munster hire screams "let's maintain the status quo."  

Just an opinion.  

I think expectations are higher than they would have been if Coach Marsh was still at the helm. I think the interim tag says we expect to compete with Laporte, MC for a sectional title and contend with Hobart, Andrean and Lowell for the NCC. Munster and Lowell have only played 1 one possession game the last 7 seasons and last beat them in 2010. 

Also, I'm hearing rumblings that Griffith might be trying to get back into the NCC, which is what needs to happen. No way they belong playing Lake Station and River Forest. 

And Lowell ditching the Calumet Region for Lafayette is never happening. Never. Common sense. Not a lack for winning expectations at Lowell or any comments you will refute this with. It's illogical for Lowell to join the Lafayette schools in the North Central Conference that are spread out across the entire state. 

3 minutes ago, rat man said:

I think expectations are higher than they would have been if Coach Marsh was still at the helm. I think the interim tag says we expect to compete with Laporte, MC for a sectional title and contend with Hobart, Andrean and Lowell for the NCC. Munster and Lowell have only played 1 one possession game the last 7 seasons and last beat them in 2010. 

Also, I'm hearing rumblings that Griffith might be trying to get back into the NCC, which is what needs to happen. No way they belong playing Lake Station and River Forest. 

And Lowell ditching the Calumet Region for Lafayette is never happening. Never. Common sense. Not a lack for winning expectations at Lowell or any comments you will refute this with. It's illogical for Lowell to join the Lafayette schools in the North Central Conference that are spread out across the entire state. 

I don't see Lowell in the NCC South--I'd rather play in Lake and Jasper Counties rather than going close to Ohio.

27 minutes ago, rat man said:

And your quote is a poor point. The last 2 and only 2 football coaches that Munster hired were first time head coaches in Friend and Marsh. I think they worked out ok for Munster. Jeff Cain's first head job was at Whiting and won the Regional his 2nd year. Buzea first head job was at Portage and they were state runner up his first year. Same for Brad Smith @ Crown Point and your coach Brad Shelborne's first head job was at Highland. Hiring an assistant that went to your school, has been on staff 10 years and knows the kids (all of which are true for Grunewald) I think has a little edge on an outside candidate that may not know the school as well. 

Dave

2 minutes ago, rat man said:

Conference realignment is all about leverage.  Who has it, and who doesnt.  The best, strongest schools in each conference are always looking out for their own self interests, as they should be.

Given that, I do not expect the North Central Conference to remain in its current format for too long.  The Lafayette area is growing and might soon be able to support its own local conference, with a few key invited outlyers.  

If the Lafayette schools (Renssy, Harrison, Jeff, McCutcheon, West LF, Central Catholic, ) were to extend an outreach to Lowell and KV, do you think Lowell and KV would show any interest?