• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired

It’s hard to compare one year’s team against another year’s team. Mainly because the competition changes from year to year. You could have the best team that you have ever had and get beat in the sectional. Or you can have a pretty good team and make it far in the tournament. The only thing that really matters is your team is better than the other team on the night you play them.

• Upvote 2

I believe Turnbaugh and Combs played both ways entire tournament.  So the two best all around football player never came off the field. McGuire and Goodwin in certain packages. If I recall Goodwin caught a TD pass vs GS and played LB. Maguire played offense in short yardage situations and kept the sticks moving. In high school football it only takes 1 or 2 guys going both ways to change a game. 

IB the 3 wins vs MHS were vs sub .500 teams where talent level was not close except once, maybe??Not 100% sure.  IB the last two years some felt GS was better and more athletic than Memorial. Memorial kept their best on the field. I’m not sure why a big D1 TE would come of the field when nobody could cover Combs or Turnbaugh.  JMO.  

21 minutes ago, Titan44 said:

The MLB is a HUGE loss, we can agree on that much.

The GS fans have quickly turned this into the GS thread.  Tell us more about the Big 8 and SIAC!

I am hearing Central has a bunch of new "city speed" no one is ready for??

Central always finds burners.  They are my pick to either win siac outright or share with Memorial. I’m hearing they have a sophomore QB that will get reps because he is dual threat and very athletic. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, WhoDat said:

I believe Turnbaugh and Combs played both ways entire tournament.  So the two best all around football player never came off the field. McGuire and Goodwin in certain packages. If I recall Goodwin caught a TD pass vs GS and played LB. Maguire played offense in short yardage situations and kept the sticks moving. In high school football it only takes 1 or 2 guys going both ways to change a game. 

IB the 3 wins vs MHS were vs sub .500 teams where talent level was not close except once, maybe??Not 100% sure.  IB the last two years some felt GS was better and more athletic than Memorial. Memorial kept their best on the field. I’m not sure why a big D1 TE would come of the field when nobody could cover Combs or Turnbaugh.  JMO.  

IB when you post I have to wonder how anyone can be so uninformed yet live so long.  JMO.

Stay Classy.

Edited by Titan44

Not sure what bothered you about that post. The use of IB or questioning why GS best athletes didn’t go both ways? I can certainly pull several stay classy post from a few GS faithful taking shots at several programs. Stay classy is great advice. 

44 minutes ago, WhoDat said:

Correct, IB Memorial football had a 6 season stretch before Lindauer and Combs hit the scene where they didn't beat a team with a winning record.  You have to wonder how a little school in the middle of rural america like GS can compete with that.  Any theories on that?  Imagine if GS had all the advantages of a Metro area and the huge advantages a private institution enjoys.  Heck, is there a sport (boys or girls) that "3A" Memorial didn't compete for a title in this year?  So tell me where on defense a 6'7"  TE would be effective?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhoDat said:

I’ve had this question since last years game, any idea why Combs wasn’t double covered? I understand that GS double covered the WR from VL the entire game in the previous week. Did the VL WR present some type of matchup problem (besides his height) that Combs didn’t? Just curious.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tigers15 said:

I’ve had this question since last years game, any idea why Combs wasn’t double covered? I understand that GS double covered the WR from VL the entire game in the previous week. Did the VL WR present some type of matchup problem (besides his height) that Combs didn’t? Just curious.

VL had 1 very good WR. Memorial had several plus a QB that can throw it to them. 

49 minutes ago, Titan44 said:

and the huge advantages a private institution enjoys.  

LOL. Moving on...

Does anyone have any insight about Jasper for the 2018 season?  

Love passionate fan bases. Hopefully we can head north on 41 again. Say what you want about Memorial but 3 trips to state and a title....nuff said.  Combs and Lindauer are nice players but they’re kids names fans never hear of that made last years group special. HH kinda scares me in preventing another prime time matchup in sectionals. Titan fans even questioned not using players both ways last two years. So the big TE couldn’t of played DE and put pressure on QB or kept him from running around playing catch?  And covering Combs one on one was..............?  

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tango said:

LOL. Moving on...

Surely you don't deny it?  Who has more like minded quality students and student athletes, I mean really man.  You could easily argue Memorial has more of those types of athletes than Castle does, in virtually every sport boys and girls.  I get it though.  I would want to keep it that way to.

13 minutes ago, WhoDat said:

Love passionate fan bases. Hopefully we can head north on 41 again. Say what you want about Memorial but 3 trips to state and a title....nuff said.  Combs and Lindauer are nice players but they’re kids names fans never hear of that made last years group special. HH kinda scares me in preventing another prime time matchup in sectionals. Titan fans even questioned not using players both ways last two years. So the big TE couldn’t of played DE and put pressure on QB or kept him from running around playing catch?  And covering Combs one on one was..............?  

You should probably stick to slotting players into slots you know something about.  I think the personnel was managed perfectly and has been.  It's hard to produce here in the cornfield.  Do you even know what man to man is LOL?  So you don't like it if your team is reduced to down to a couple stud 3 or 4 year starters?  Hmmm.  Pot meet Kettle. 

Edited by Titan44

Actually I have no problem with 3 or 4 studs and kids who understand how and where they can help the team win. You can’t make up your mind up if you have great athletes or just a bunch of cornfield kids. I thought single side Smith tried to cover Combs one on one and in doubles you went LB over the top??  Correct?  

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Titan44 said:

Correct, IB Memorial football had a 6 season stretch before Lindauer and Combs hit the scene where they didn't beat a team with a winning record.  

IMO, the talent level of GS - EM was nearly equal in 2012, 2013, 2016 & 2017 (in 2013 and 2016 injured QBs had big impact).  GS was clearly superior in 2014.   

1 hour ago, Titan44 said:

Surely you don't deny it?  Who has more like minded quality students and student athletes, I mean really man.  You could easily argue Memorial has more of those types of athletes than Castle does, in virtually every sport boys and girls.  I get it though.  I would want to keep it that way to.

That is a product of families that have to make huge financial sacrifices to send their kids there.  The sacrifice breeds accountability.   My kids know I'm not paying $6,000 for Cs (or Bs for that matter).  The Castle comment is interesting.  If you're a parent of a frosh swimmer, weigh your choices.....Castle is free and has a pool...Memorial is $6,000 (even more if you're not Catholic) and you have to drive across town to USI everyday for practice after school.  Where is the advantage?  Or, I'm a parent who realizes weight training is vital to athletic success.  I look at Castle's weight room (or GS's...) and then Memorial's, which is about the size of a college wrestling mat.  And, oh by the way, you have to take 8 semesters of Theology so your elective options for weight training class are limited to 2 semesters.  That is no advantage...  Or, my kid isn't Catholic and has to take 8 rigorous semesters of what?  No advantage there.  

Memorial's enrollment has dropped by over 120 students in the last five years, mostly because many people simply can't (or won't) make the financial sacrifice when free options exist with more and better facilities and more academic diversity.  Even with the athletic success of this year (11 of 19 varsity sports represented at state) we are not seeing a throng of non-feeder school kids wanting in.  In fact, the enrollment was higher when we weren't having great athletic success in the major sports.   If there was a huge advantage the place would be full.  We had vouchers and all that back in 2012 and 2013 too.... 

One GS parent tweeted last winter that a parent from MD (I believe) said something to the effect of "GS has what we have, but we have to pay a lot of money for it."  I disagree somewhat, because faith is a core value that can't be a part of academic instruction at a public school, but I get the point - Like MD and Memorial, GS has a rock solid community, great kids, coaches & teachers, plus top notch facilities.    

BUT, I can definitely understand how people on the outside might see things differently.  It just depends on your perspective... 

Edited by tango
  • Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, tango said:

LOL. Moving on...

I really haven't heard anything about the whole Big 8 this year (except the Evans boys at Princeton). I would suspect that Jasper will still be the team to beat. Mt. Carmel should be much improved from last year. They had around 25 sophomores on their team last year. 

3 minutes ago, TitanPride said:

Mt. Carmel should be much improved from last year. They had around 25 sophomores on their team last year. 

Dang, that's a lot.  Didn't I see somewhere they are leaving the Big 8?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, tango said:

IMO, the talent level of GS - EM was nearly equal in 2012, 2013, 2016 & 2017 (in 2013 and 2016 injured QBs had big impact).  GS was clearly superior in 2014.   

That is a product of families that have to make huge financial sacrifices to send their kids there.  The sacrifice breeds accountability.   My kids know I'm not paying $6,000 for Cs (or Bs for that matter).  The Castle comment is interesting.  If you're a parent of a frosh swimmer, weigh your choices.....Castle is free and has a pool...Memorial is $6,000 (even more if you're not Catholic) and you have to drive across town to USI everyday for practice after school.  Where is the advantage?  Or, I'm a parent who realizes weight training is vital to athletic success.  I look at Castle's weight room (or GS's...) and then Memorial's, which is about the size of a college wrestling mat.  And, oh by the way, you have to take 8 semesters of Theology so your elective options for weight training class are limited to 2 semesters.  That is no advantage...  Or, my kid isn't Catholic and has to take 8 rigorous semesters of what?  No advantage there.  

Memorial's enrollment has dropped by over 120 students in the last five years, mostly because many people simply can't (or won't) make the financial sacrifice when free options exist with more and better facilities and more academic diversity.  Even with the athletic success of this year (11 of 19 varsity sports represented at state) we are not seeing a throng of non-feeder school kids wanting in.  In fact, the enrollment was higher when we weren't having great academic success in the major sports.   If there was a huge advantage the place would be full.  We had vouchers and all that back in 2012 and 2013 too.... 

BUT, I can definitely understand how people on the outside might see things differently.  It just depends on your perspective...  

Very well said, the sacrifice is real and I totally agree with that.  I didn't say it was easy or cheap, however the net result is a MUCH higher percentage (per capita enrollment) of the type of kid that breeds success.  It's apples and oranges to even to a school like GS.  Based on athletes on the field, you guys end up, albeit via much financial burden and inconvenience in some cases, with a similar number of "that kind" of student athlete as a Castle.  Net result - the battles you guys have with them for conference titles.  A quality seed tends to sprout just about any place it is planted. Take away the kids at GS who have to attend because; a) They have a pulse b) the law says they have to be there, we end up a 2A school (and we have a "better" population that most).  We beat the 2A state champ 55-14.  That is at least a small glimpse into a world with GS as a private.

Edited by Titan44
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, tango said:

Dang, that's a lot.  Didn't I see somewhere they are leaving the Big 8?

I heard that they are staying in the Big 8 in every sport except football. Something about how the football playoff system works in Illinois that they are at a disadvantage playing in a Indiana conference. Not sure when but they are going independent in football. That will make things hard for the rest of the Big 8 trying to schedule 9 games with only 6 teams in the conference. 

10 minutes ago, Transplantedpanther said:

This topic should have been called Tigers V. Titans with some Central love sprinkled in. 

:13_v:

Tell us about Reitz this season (if you have any inside scoop)!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Transplantedpanther said:

This topic should have been called Tigers V. Titans with some Central love sprinkled in. 

:13_v:

Heck, I'm just glad we can finally talk football or anything related to football again..

Edited by tango
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Titan44 said:

Tell us about Reitz this season (if you have any inside scoop)!

Nothing much to tell. Biggest news was the transfer of a RB to Central. Nothing else. Biggest questions are going to be who will start at QB (if it is a true competition), and how will the secondary hold up (hit hard by graduation.)

8 minutes ago, Transplantedpanther said:

Nothing much to tell. Biggest news was the transfer of a RB to Central. Nothing else. Biggest questions are going to be who will start at QB (if it is a true competition), and how will the secondary hold up (hit hard by graduation.)

I thought your QB last year was a JR? 

16 minutes ago, Transplantedpanther said:

Biggest news was the transfer of a RB to Central. 

Seriously?  Wow.  

12 minutes ago, TitanPride said:

I thought your QB last year was a JR? 

He was. But the sophomore coming in this year might be able to surpass him. Why I’m glad I don’t have to make those decisions?

6 minutes ago, tango said:

Seriously?  Wow.  

Well, not bad mouthing because I really liked the kid, but he had some deficiencies that would have kept him off the field behind others. But I am not going to be a gossip monger, so I will leave it there. Will wish him luck and move on. Not the first player Reitz has lost to transfer, and I doubt he will be the last.