• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Texas seeing participation decline - ominous long term trend

Posted (edited)

Just across the state line from us in Michigan New Buffalo and Bridgman High Schools are going to co-op programs and become the South County Cougars.  The report states that if were not for the merger both programs would fold due to lack of players on the roster.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/bridgman-bees-combining-with-new-buffalo-bison-to-create-south-county-cougars

https://www.heraldpalladium.com/sports/local/time-to-co-operate/article_4fa203cc-5bc5-591f-8611-d18b9f644d54.html

Edited by tommy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tommy said:

Just across the state line from us in Michigan New Buffalo and Bridgman High Schools are going to co-op programs and become the South County Cougars.  The report states that if were not for the merger both programs would fold due to lack of players on the roster.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/bridgman-bees-combining-with-new-buffalo-bison-to-create-south-county-cougars

https://www.heraldpalladium.com/sports/local/time-to-co-operate/article_4fa203cc-5bc5-591f-8611-d18b9f644d54.html

We need to see more of this.   

https://www.bridgemi.com/public-sector/small-town-michigan-high-schools-dump-traditional-football

Edited by DrivenT

On 6/19/2018 at 9:50 AM, DrivenT said:

Which is why we need camps/ deportation. This country is facing the beginning of the end. Millenials love the homeboys and Mexicans despite the fact they ruin everything they are around. Africa has been a shuckshole for how many decades? Imagine the USA if the majority were black and only 13% were white. Oh boy. 

Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic group in the nation.  The attached doc shows growth of the hispanic population from 15% of the total in 2010 to 30% of the total in 2050. These numbers will be even higher in the southwest.   Natural hispanic culture and customs , which do not include American tackle football, will continue to spread throughout the country.  

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/working-papers/2009/demo/us-pop-proj-2000-2050/analytical-document09.pdf

The American middle class Dad is having a very difficult time in our current culture.  Women are now more educated, and are taking over upper level management positions at an ever increasing rate.  

We are entering a time soon where women will become majority head of household.  

• Downvote 1

On 6/18/2018 at 10:55 PM, DrivenT said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/texas-high-school-football/

The issues are the same, but now they are impacting participation in Texas, ground zero for top level high school football.

Within 5 years, we will see significant program contraction, which will lead to mass reclassification and high school conference realignment as schools scramble to find like minded competition.

The down sizing of the game will be long and painful for many.  

Article in USA Today in Nov 2017 paints a slightly different story.  Slight decline yes....Texas, and other states yes.  But HS participation rates up in the south including Florida.  This article talks about football participation moving....and that football still far and away top sport for participation.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/football-participation-decrease-high-school-pop-warner

I think declines at the youth age is what needs to be monitored for future impact...and the article closes with that summary.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2018 at 8:56 PM, tommy said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it. New Buffalo is a tiny school. And they’ve lost about 20% of thier enrollment in two years.  Bridgman is a little bigger but has lost about 1/3 of its enrollment in less than 5 years.  Both would be among the smallest 1A schools in Indiana.  

11 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it. New Buffalo is a tiny school. And they’ve lost about 20% of thier enrollment in two years.  Bridgman is a little bigger but has lost about 1/3 of its enrollment in less than 5 years.  Both would be among the smallest 1A schools in Indiana.  

Michigan high schools have dropped more varsity football programs than any other state in the union over the past 5 years.  The New Buffalo situation is a continuation of that trend.  

Michigan admins get it.  When the see that the well has run dry, they bury the hole and move on to better opportunities.  Indiana admins have yet to get on board.  They will eventually.  The first group of football quitters (mid 2000s pee wee and bantam) are now high schoolers and they are no longer participating.  This is just the first wave hitting.  The second and third waves will be program killers.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Michigan high schools have dropped more varsity football programs than any other state in the union over the past 5 years.  The New Buffalo situation is a continuation of that trend.  

Please show me data to prove this ridiculous comment.  What I can tell you is that Michigan has added two asditional classes to their postseason in the past 5 years. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Please show me data to prove this ridiculous comment.  What I can tell you is that Michigan has added two asditional classes to their postseason in the past 5 years. 

I'm sure you know how to google the info.  It's all out there

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I'm sure you know how to google the info.  It's all out there

Or, you lied and made a claim with no basis in reality.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Using this article shows how little you understand Michigan. This article states a 53 team drop in 11-man teams in roughly a five year span. (Article written in ‘16)

That is a statiscaly accurate statement. But the key part of that statement is “11-man”.  In that same time span Michigan implemented 8 man football.  Guess how many teams were playing 8 man in ‘16.....

52.  For a whopping net loss of.....1 football playing school. 

It also stated a loss of over 4,000 in participation in 11-man   We can safely assume at least 50% were playing 8-man   Making Michigan’s stop in participation nothing to get excited about.  When you factor in population decline/stagnation in that window of time, it’s barely worth mentioning.  

Luckily football coaching hasn’t fallen as far as journalism has.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Coach_G said:

Using this article shows how little you understand Michigan. This article states a 53 team drop in 11-man teams in roughly a five year span. (Article written in ‘16)

That is a statiscaly accurate statement. But the key part of that statement is “11-man”.  In that same time span Michigan implemented 8 man football.  Guess how many teams were playing 8 man in ‘16.....

52.  For a whopping net loss of.....1 football playing school. 

It also stated a loss of over 4,000 in participation in 11-man   We can safely assume at least 50% were playing 8-man   Making Michigan’s stop in participation nothing to get excited about.  When you factor in population decline/stagnation in that window of time, it’s barely worth mentioning.  

Luckily football coaching hasn’t fallen as far as journalism has.

Nice spin on the data.  The drop in 11 man and the growth in 8 man is a clear indicator of participation decline.  Its astonishing to me that so many people deny what is happening right directly in front of their eyes.  What is this, Nazi Germany and the Jewish Extermination?

Did that not happen either?

Edited by DrivenT
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)

Nice spin on the data.  The drop in 11 man and the growth in 8 man is a clear indicator of participation decline.  

Your statement was that Michigan led the nation in reduction of football participation. I soundly refuted the statement.  The push for 8 man began in the early 2000’s when Michigan’s population was dropping faster than any state in the nation.   Prior to the start of 8-man Michigan had over 150 schools that would’ve fit in Indiana’s 1A .  As those schools shrunk from 250 kids to 150, or 325 to 200 8 man became a valuable alternative.

....and scene.

Thank you everyone for another episode of the “DT makes up stuff to fit a narrative”

Edited by Coach_G

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Your statement was that Michigan led the nation in reduction of football participation. I soundly refuted the statement. 

....and scene.

Thank you everyone for another episode of the “DT makes up stuff to fit a narrative”

:07_v:

Continue to live in your "bunker mentality" world.  I'll get a good laugh when it sneaks up and bites you in the XXXX.  

Edited by DrivenT

Just now, DrivenT said:

:07_v:

Continue to live in your "bunker mentality" world.  I'll get a good laugh when it sneaks up and bites you in the butt.  

I’ll be sure to ask you what it’s like when that day comes. 

1 minute ago, Coach_G said:

I’ll be sure to ask you what it’s like when that day comes. 

You seem to filled with vitriol today Coach G.  Rough day?  

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

You seem to filled with vitriol today Coach G.  Rough day?  

Just always had an issue with muck raking, and lies.  

I appreciate how you got personal as soon as I pointed out the flawed data used, rather than attempt to keep it on topic.   

1 minute ago, Coach_G said:

Just always had an issue with muck raking, and lies.  

I appreciate how you got personal as soon as I pointed out the flawed data used, rather than attempt to keep it on topic.   

There is no flawed data.  You can interpret the writers comments however you please.  I am just the messenger, giving my own interpretation and opinion, and adding background on the topic of participation decline, which certainly is no secret around here. I see it as the single most significant factor looming that will change the sport in the future.  At all levels.  

Posted (edited)

There is no flawed data.  You can interpret the writers comments however you please.  I am just the messenger, giving my own interpretation and opinion, and adding background on the topic of participation decline, which certainly is no secret around here. I see it as the single most significant factor looming that will change the sport in the future.  At all levels.  

Football is incredibly healthy.  But that doesn’t get clicks.  Some of us live in a world where clicks matter some of us live in a world where truth does.  Everyday those two groups get further apart.  

Would you you like to refute any data about Michigan I gave you?  Or would you just like to admit the data you linked is misrepresented to push a narrative. 

Edited by Coach_G

2 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Football is incredibly healthy.  But that doesn’t get clicks.  Some of us live in a world where clicks matter some of us live in a world where truth does.  Everyday those two groups get further apart.  

Would you you like to refute any data about Michigan I gave you?  Or would you just like to admit the data you linked is misrepresented to push a narrative. 

Nope.  I support the writers general point.  And I couldn't disagree more with the state of football today.  

Nope.  So you have no ability to refute the data I gave.  Thanks.  Have a great weekend. Stay cool.   Why did it have to take 6 posts and name calling and Nazi name drops for you to admit that. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Nope.  So you have no ability to refute the data I gave.  Thanks.  Have a great weekend. Stay cool.   Why did it have to take 6 posts and name calling and Nazi name drops for you to admit that. 

I think the article is perfectly written, and delivers it's general point, which is the issue of participation decline.  I thought the Nazi reference was quite clever.  Enjoy your weekend.  

Edited by DrivenT

Population/enrollment decline.  

3 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Population/enrollment decline.  

You're a smart guy, and you know all the issues.  Hell, you invented the success factor?  Kind of like Al Gore invented the internet.

Why bury your head in the sand on this issue?

Odd.