• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired

Madison Grants Is Mighty Oregon. Wish we could get some of that NIKE sponsorship money.

• Like 1

Mishawaka uses the University of Tennessee's fight song, which is actually not Rocky Top...called "Down the Field"

Penn...Ohio State's "Across the Field"

Concord...The Naval Academy's "Anchors Aweigh"

I think I remember La Porte having an original song, but can't remember the name.

9 hours ago, KYCaveFan said:

Mishawaka uses the University of Tennessee's fight song, which is actually not Rocky Top...called "Down the Field"

Penn...Ohio State's "Across the Field"

Concord...The Naval Academy's "Anchors Aweigh"

I think I remember La Porte having an original song, but can't remember the name.

Mishawaka's school song is actually a combination of two tunes.

The first part is  from “Down the Field” written in 1904 for Yale University by Stanleigh P. Friedman (Yale 1905). In addition to Yale, it is used by the University of Tennessee, the University of Nevada and the University of Oregon.  It's not Yale's official fight song (which is "Bulldog"), but "Down the Field" is played after every Yale athletic event, win or lose.

The second part of Mishawaka's school song is the trio from the “105th Cavalry March” written by Theo Steinmetz sometime around 1910. The tune is quite obscure and I am reasonably certain that no other school uses it. Steinmetz (or, "Steinie") lived in Wisconsin and taught music and organized bands at a few high schools there.

Around 1911, Richard Ackerhusen and Max Kraning, (students at Mishawaka) combined the two and added original words to create the "original" school song for Mishawaka High School which is still used today.

LaPorte's school song is titled "Our Old High"

How's that for providing WAY more information than anyone cares to read?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I think my alma mater's ... Cypress Creek in Houston ... is original; however, I don't think we actually had one for almost two decades.  We were a brand new school and I don't recall a fight song during the first four years of the school.  Found a copy of the sheet music online and it shows a 1996 copyright.  The school was founded in 1977 as the third high school in the Cypress-Fairbanks School District, which currently has 13 high schools, and filled with just 8th, 9th, and 10th grade its first year.  The school did have an alma mater, "Blue and Silver Years," from the launching of the school.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, tango said:

In the SIAC, 6 schools use Big10 school songs (but not IU or PU).  Memorial uses Notre Dame.  Castle has its own original.   

Tango, do you happen to know which B10 songs Bosse, Central and North use?  I'm pretty sure I know the others in the city (and surrounding areas).

Memorial -- Notre Dame Victory March (as Tango mentioned)

Harrison -- Hail To The Victors (Michigan)

Mater Dei -- Go, U Northwestern

Reitz -- On, Wisconsin

Castle -- original, but I don't know the name

PAC

Forest Park -- Go, U Northwestern

Gibson Southern -- Minnesota Rouser

Heritage Hills -- original: Onward, Onward, Heritage Hills

North Posey -- Go, U Northwestern

Pike Central -- Go, U Northwestern

South Spencer -- Hail, Purdue (school song) / Minnesota Rouser (fight song)

Southridge -- On, Wisconsin

Tecumseh -- Go, U Northwestern (seriously, why the obsession with this fight song in the PAC???)

Tell City -- original: Tell City, We're MIghty Proud of You

Big 8

Boonville -- original: BHS Fight Song (Here's To Our Team Boys)

Jasper -- Indiana, Our Indiana

Mt. Carmel -- don't know

Mt. Vernon -- University of Kentucky Fight Song (I'm fairly certain this is correct, but not 100% sure)

Princeton -- On, Wisconsin

Vincennes Lincoln -- Illinois Loyalty

Washington -- Notre Dame Victory March

On a side note...I've noticed whether it's high school or college, the older the lyrics the cheesier they tend to be.  Boonville's original fight song is pretty old and, as a result, starts off with a terribly cheesy line:  "Here's to our team boys! Here's to our school!  Here's to the place where good feelings rule!"      As a BHS grad, I am able to both love the song and cringe at the cheesiness all at the same time!

Side note #2:  Speaking of old fight songs and lyrics, I believe Tell City has the oldest original fight song in SW Indiana.  I have read somewhere (in a TC program or on their school website) that their song was written by a student or graduate back in the early to mid 1920's. 

On 6/21/2018 at 10:03 AM, Trojan Dad said:

I remember Mrs. Stuckey saying she had to write the lyrics to the song.

Bedford North Lawrence High School 

We're fighting for you all the way 

We are the Stars from B-N-L

and for the Stars we're here today!

Now we will fight for victory 

We're the best in all the land 

Let's give a cheer for B-N-L 

From every loyal-hearted fan!

I saw that someone already mentioned it, but The Ohio State University uses the fight song of the Penn Kinsmen!

:02_v::17_v:

@Bcaster

Bosse - Illinois Loyalty

Central - Minnesota

I’m almost positive someone in the SIAC uses Ohio St, so by process of elimination that would leave North. But i’m not sure on that.

19 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

@Bcaster

Bosse - Illinois Loyalty

Central - Minnesota

I’m almost positive someone in the SIAC uses Ohio St, so by process of elimination that would leave North. But i’m not sure on that.

Yep.  I think that is correct. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, SBguy said:

I've always been told that South Bend Adams uses the tune of the fight song of the University of Illinois.

"All hail to the Scarlet and Blue/To you we are loyal and true"

South Bend Clay certainly uses the tune of the University of Notre Dame.

"Cheer Cheer for Clay Senior High."

The U of I fight song is popular, as both Lowell and South Newton also use it. 

19 minutes ago, Gipper said:

The U of I fight song is popular, as both Lowell and South Newton also use it. 

And the same with Minnesota.  I wonder why those two are so prevalent in Indiana?  

On 6/22/2018 at 6:58 PM, GS Titan 77 said:

Gibson Southern's is set to the Minnesota Rouser

I'm curious, was that the  song of one the merged schools that became the consolidated school's song?

When I was a kid I thought it was so cool to try and learn everyone's fight song in the SAC in Fort Wayne...off the top of my head...

Bishop Dwenger: "When the saints go marching in"

Bishop Luers : Original

Concordia : Original 

Snider : Wave the flag (miami ohio)

Northrop : Northwestern Fight Song with original wording

Wayne : Minnesota Rouser 

South Side : Original ...."To the school that has no equals"

North Side : Original...Chief Mac and Varsity

Carroll : Ohio State Fight Song

Homestead : Original (only one not totally sure on)

I don't believe Haubstadt, Ft. Branch, or Owensville's fight songs were set to that.  I think there were too many people against consolidating at the time to use anything from one school.

SCHOOL SONG

GIBSON SOUTHERN, Maroon, gold, and white

GIBSON SOUTHERN, Ready to fight with might

United one with strong loyalty

There is nothing we can’t do

Go you TITANS we back you

Onward to victory!

GIBSON SOUTHERN, Maroon, gold, and white

GIBSON SOUTHERN, Proud, bold, and hard to hold

United one with strong loyalty

There is nothing we can’t do

Go you TITANS we back you

Onward to victory!

T-T       T-I-T    A-A    A-N-S     T-I-T-A-N-S    (spell it out)

TITANS – TITANS – WE’RE THE BEST

16 minutes ago, FWFootball260 said:

When I was a kid I thought it was so cool to try and learn everyone's fight song in the SAC in Fort Wayne...off the top of my head...

Bishop Dwenger: "When the saints go marching in"

Bishop Luers : Original

Concordia : Original 

Snider : Wave the flag (miami ohio)

Northrop : Northwestern Fight Song with original wording

Wayne : Minnesota Rouser 

South Side : Original ...."To the school that has no equals"

North Side : Original...Chief Mac and Varsity

Carroll : Ohio State Fight Song

Homestead : Original (only one not totally sure on)

I thought South Bend Riley was the only school to use the University of Chicago fight song and now I see that Snider also uses it.  Miami of Ohio adapted their fight song "Wave the Flag" from the University of Chicago.

20 hours ago, tango said:

And the same with Minnesota.  I wonder why those two are so prevalent in Indiana?  

I'm curious, was that the  song of one the merged schools that became the consolidated school's song?

Good question, but the Illinois Loyalty is a good beat.

Kankakee Valley HS in Wheatfield uses the Notre Dame fight song. When I was in school(2000-03) I give the ladies and band credit they kept us pumped even through the lean years. Yeah we showed those local yokels by winning FOUR games my senior season after winning six total over the previous 3 years. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, silvertone1696 said:

Kankakee Valley HS in Wheatfield uses the Notre Dame fight song. When I was in school(2000-03) I give the ladies and band credit they kept us pumped even through the lean years. Yeah we showed those local yokels by winning FOUR games my senior season after winning six total over the previous 3 years. 

Proves improvement can be had. Continuity is a must. 

We had 3 head coaches, with three different offenses and the class after us had 4 and 4. The job is a revolving door and shouldn't be. Look at the success of the girls programs as a whole. The boys have some catching up to do. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2018 at 8:44 AM, yellowjacket said:

South Bend Riley- University of Chicago- I'll bet not many use that fight song.

North Knox also uses "Wave the Flag"

I'm learning something every day.  I didn't know "Wave the Flag" was that popular.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can't speak to school songs...not sure we had one.  But I DO remember school mascots.  Our High School team was the Greyhounds (not Carmel...God...NO!)  We were poor kids whose moms and dads farmed, worked in factories and drove semi-trucks. 

JV was Jr. Greyhounds. 

Freshmen were Pups.

In Jr. High we had these tattered 20-30 year-old, yellowed, sweat-stained jerseys (this was in hoops, btw....not football) with some sort of imprint that was 50% flecked off on the front. I remember our 8th grade year I could make out some kind of green curled up fetus-like outline...kind of...in a sweat stained yellowish background (smelly too...but that's not a color). 

It was years later that I found out that we were the "Ticks" (7th Grade) and "Fleas" (8th Grade)......ONLY in Brookville, Indiana (now Franklin County).

City Father there types there ran out of ideas and mental fortitude once they struggled to make it across the Ohio State line....God forbid they would cross the Mississippi and settle the West...or be able to play football for Kirk Kennedy.

For the record....the Mississippi was just too much of a challenge for me too.  Being honest to my "raisin'"... apparently.

Still..."Ticks" and "Fleas"?!?!?

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 1