• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Fine Print

Mishawaka to NLC

1 hour ago, Knight82 said:

What would you think would make sense for Marian and St. Joe?  I don't see any conferences as currently configured that make a lot of sense for them to join...

St Joe, Marian, Bremen, Jimtown, New Prairie, Glenn, Culver Military and maybe Fairfield  would be an all around competitive conference. Some drive times would be long but not unbearable. Provides a good mix of public and private and most of these schools play each other already.

48 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

In my view, the best conferences in the state include a combination of both pp and public schools. It brings great competitive and cultural diversity to a conference

The SAC has Luers and Dwenger

The SIAC has Mater Dei and Memorial

The NCC has Andrean

All great, historic programs

I would like to see the NLC go after St Joe and Marian. Mishawaka may have made Marian's exclusion a conditionof their acceptance into the league. Not sure about their relationship. St Joe in the NLC would be outstanding. I see no reason why the NLC can't flex out to 10 schools. 

The NLC would be very interesting for Marian and St. Joe - I agree with you that a combo of pp and the right public schools works very well.   Not sure if the SB publics are the right ones, for all the reasons stated previously.   These might be - but would the NLC schools be open to it?

I would be surprised if Mishawaka wanted to exclude Marian.  Mishawaka's principal is a Marian grad and my read is that the administrations of the two schools have a strong relationship.

St Joe, Marian, Bremen, Jimtown, New Prairie, Glenn, Culver Military and maybe Fairfield  would be an all around competitive conference. Some drive times would be long but not unbearable. Provides a good mix of public and private and most of these schools play each other already.

That would be an interesting combination.  Size would be the primary common thread here, and as you say, there would be an increase in drive times.  Would be curious to see if NP would be up for this grouping, as they would be the biggest school by a decent margin.

I definitely do not see New Prairie stepping down to this level. That is a big time program. They have invested too much time, money and effort to take such a step back in competition

Surely they are chafing about getting passed up by the NLC. That's got to hurt

There are rumblings that Griffith wants back in the NCC.  Perhaps they rejoin and bring New Prairie along. That would be a solid move for a weakening NCC. 

11 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I definitely do not see New Prairie stepping down to this level. That is a big time program. They have invested too much time, money and effort to take such a step back in competition

Surely they are chafing about getting passed up by the NLC. That's got to hurt

There are rumblings that Griffith wants back in the NCC.  Perhaps they rejoin and bring New Prairie along. That would be a solid move for a weakening NCC. 

I would tend to agree re: NP.  NCC seems like a much more logical fit for them given what they have invested, time zone, etc.

4 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

I would like to know what sports @ Mishawaka, other than football,   will be competitive in the Lakes Conference?  Many programs at Mishawaka are just plain terrible, for example golf, tennis, and soccer.

Mishawaka will own the NLC in wrestling and be near the top in Baseball . 

2 hours ago, Knight82 said:

I would tend to agree re: NP.  NCC seems like a much more logical fit for them given what they have invested, time zone, etc.

If NP ever joined the NCC, they would be up their w Lowell as the Conference bell cow. 

As long as Coach Radke is there. 

5 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

Many programs at Mishawaka are just plain terrible, for example golf, tennis, and soccer.

Yeah, besides having a solid program in Track, Cross Country, Baseball, Softball, Wrestling, Volleyball, Basketball, and Football, they're going to get crushed.

You pretty much named the only sports that they're not competitive in, except for swimming.

I wonder how many years Russ stays with it...been doing it a long time. Is his son Bo still his offensive coordinator? 

On 7/11/2018 at 6:04 PM, DrivenT said:

Penn might drop MHS as punishment for leaving The NIC.  

These things happen.  

Freeby mentioned that two schools applied to fill the vacancy left by Memorial, Mishawaka and New Prairie.

Would not be surprised to see New Prairie  try to become the 7th member of the Northwest Crossroads and basically fill the spot left by Griffith when they bolted for the Greater South Shore.  It is apparent that New Prairie does not want to be in the NIC.

2 hours ago, silvertone1696 said:

I wonder how many years Russ stays with it...been doing it a long time. Is his son Bo still his offensive coordinator? 

Don’t know. The man is ageless it appears. I don’t think his son is at NP any longer. I thought I read or saw he was in the LaPorte staff.  Maybe one of the LaPorte folks in here can answer better. 

The conference solution for Penn, and probably to a lesser degree, Elkhart, would be greatly simplified if South Bend were to go from 4 public high schools down to 2.  Then those 4 schools could become an attractive group to the Duneland, which could split into 2 divisions with 6 teams each.

East

Elkhart

Penn

South Bend A

South Bend B

LaPorte

Michigan City

West

Chesterton

Portage

Valparaiso

Merrillville

Crown Point

Lake Central

In football, play 5 games against the opponents in your division, with a crossover division game in week 9 against the team in the same place from the other division.  That will leave 3 weeks open for non-conference games or rivalry games any of the current Duneland teams want to keep.

It could be done without the South Bend schools using a 10 team conference, but that would force Chesterton to move over to the east division and only 5 conference games would be played (including the week 9 crossover).

Now you have the NIC left with New Prairie, John Glenn, Jimtown, Bremen, Mishawaka Marian, and South Bend St. Joe.

The DAC is like a private country club.  Very exclusive membership.  No way they open the door to any riff raff.  Only blue bloods, like Penn and Munster, need apply.  Just the way they operate.

45 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

The DAC is like a private country club.  Very exclusive membership.  No way they open the door to any riff raff.  Only blue bloods, like Penn and Munster, need apply.  Just the way they operate.

Untitled-Captured-20.jpg

On 7/12/2018 at 8:16 AM, DrivenT said:

How did Penn travel for the Ben Davis series?

We traveled very well still travel very well.  

10 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Don’t know. The man is ageless it appears. I don’t think his son is at NP any longer. I thought I read or saw he was in the LaPorte staff.  Maybe one of the LaPorte folks in here can answer better. 

Bo is on the LP staff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Sad, really.  My kids go to Lowell and I wouldn't mind going to places like Crown Point, St. John, and Merrillville for games.  On the football field, the Devils can obviously hang with DAC schools.  Coach Delgado is turning the hoops program around, and our "country club" (no pun intended) sports of golf and tennis hold their own.  Cross Country and Track are also good...

Are we riff raff down in South County?

33 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Sad, really.  My kids go to Lowell and I wouldn't mind going to places like Crown Point, St. John, and Merrillville for games.  On the football field, the Devils can obviously hang with DAC schools.  Coach Delgado is turning the hoops program around, and our "country club" (no pun intended) sports of golf and tennis hold their own.  Cross Country and Track are also good...

Are we riff raff down in South County?

Of course. As are we in north lake cty   Highland. Griffith. Hammond. Etc

It goes without saying the Region is the wretched refuse of the state:07_v:

I’m not sure if this is still the case, but the chair of the DAC is rotated every year, I think it’s MC this year. Also, gymnastics was a required team to be part of the conference as it  usually has the top teams in the state for that sport. The principals have changed a lot over the years, but the ADs have not, so they are really running the show in terms of who gets in the conference. Even though they have fallen off, of you want to know which way the DAC is going, ask the Queen from Merrillville, she has the mit clout.

Time difference and travel - do not see any NIC teams going that route especially for other sports than the major ones

WSBT's WEEKDAY SPORTSBEAT is saying that Mishawaka -Penn will continue to meet on the football field.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, DrivenT said:

In my view, the best conferences in the state include a combination of both pp and public schools. It brings great competitive and cultural diversity to a conference

The SAC has Luers and Dwenger

The SIAC has Mater Dei and Memorial

The NCC has Andrean

All great, historic programs

I would like to see the NLC go after St Joe and Marian. Mishawaka may have made Marian's exclusion a conditionof their acceptance into the league. Not sure about their relationship. St Joe in the NLC would be outstanding. I see no reason why the NLC can't flex out to 10 schools. 

SAC has three, when you consider Concordia. 

On 7/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, slicer28 said:

Personally I don't think there is a Northern Indiana conference that would really want Penn at this point.  Football wise, they are a big dog on a geographic island.  It's not their fault, it is what it is.  I think Penn going independent (at least in football) would be the best thing for Penn and the NIC.

Agree 100%

• Upvote 1