• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 

How is it "right" to take away the opportunity for kids to play football? Why do you think it is in the best interest for "all" involved? If a school wants to play football, and has enough kids interested in playing, why do you think it is better to shut it down! Just because of a poor record??? What if they have "lay" coaches? What if the program has less kids signed up to play this year? What happens if the school is in a rural area? Your response to these questions???? CONTRACTION!!!! 

15 minutes ago, DuggerUnion said:

How is it "right" to take away the opportunity for kids to play football? Why do you think it is in the best interest for "all" involved? If a school wants to play football, and has enough kids interested in playing, why do you think it is better to shut it down! Just because of a poor record??? What if they have "lay" coaches? What if the program has less kids signed up to play this year? What happens if the school is in a rural area? Your response to these questions???? CONTRACTION!!!! 

Yes, I am strongly in favor of "contraction," or downsizing of the game, which would be in line with the national trends showing declines in all aspects of the game.

Participation

Attendance

Viewership

Community involvement

Media coverage

On 7/17/2018 at 8:15 PM, SR1 said:

A school that size (275 total students) should not be trying to field a boys football team, boys soccer, and Tennis in the fall. There just are not enough athletic students to go around.

Some will disagree. I'm not one of those.

Exactly what you said. Simply not enough athletic students to go around.

You may be in favor of contraction, but I didn't know that you were able to speak for every school or community!

41 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Yes, I am strongly in favor of "contraction," or downsizing of the game, which would be in line with the national trends showing declines in all aspects of the game.

Participation

Attendance

Viewership

Community involvement

Media coverage

I know facts aren't your thing but a record number of colleges will be fielding football teams this season. 2 new professional leagues are forming. So participation is up at the collegiate and professional levels which means more opportunities than ever before.

• Haha 2

I like the idea of Co-op teams and also of 8 man football. It works well in Nebraska and Iowa. Ultimately it is about football culture. Here in Georgia every school plays football. There are tiny private high schools that field teams. I think football popularity has been on a gradual rise in Indiana for decades. The IHSAA is notoriously slow at adapting to change and is anti-progressive in general, but maybe they will do something in the near future. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

I like the idea of Co-op teams and also of 8 man football. It works well in Nebraska and Iowa. Ultimately it is about football culture. Here in Georgia every school plays football. There are tiny private high schools that field teams. I think football popularity has been on a gradual rise in Indiana for decades. The IHSAA is notoriously slow at adapting to change and is anti-progressive in general, but maybe they will do something in the near future. 

As long as the Football and Men’s Basketball tournament are producing lots of black ink.....no reason to fix something that’s not broken.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

As long as the Football and Men’s Basketball tournament are producing lots of black ink.....no reason to fix something that’s not broken.

That is not the IHSAA’s mission.

My concern is for the handful of kids who love playing sport. What about the 1 or 2 decent athletes at wm who a now without anything I think it's sad. I do understand 13 players makes things very difficult, and some huge mismatches on the field. I'm sure risk of injury is a concern. I think in these situations the kid should be allowed to join up with another local team. This way he has the opportunity to play. I like the Illinois co-op teams.....I think it's a great way to keep communities involved so small town rural footbsll can exist and kids can still be a part of a great sport even without being in a big city atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

I should also mention that I've covered many Linton vs union-dugger games were the bulldog hasd 12 going 1000%....and they won some games year in and out

When dugger got shut down from ihsaa...Linton benefitted with ,3-4kids making an immediate impactzt Linton.  It was great they had to that choice. We were 5 miles to the east

It's a sign of the times.   Rural life in the US is dying. Football will be an associated casualty. It's an unfortunate but unstoppable societal and cultural shift.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

I should also mention that I've covered many Linton vs union-dugger games were the bulldog hasd 12 going 1000%....and they won some games year in and out

When dugger got shut down from ihsaa...Linton benefitted with ,3-4kids making an immediate impactzt Linton.  It was great they had to that choice. We were 5 miles to the east

But Pride, you can't play "iron-man" football anymore with 13-15 guys. Not in this day and age, with all the concerns about concussions. You're not allowed to send a kid back on the field after he's gotten his bell rung like we used to do.

With a roster that small, a couple concussions, a couple ankle injuries and pretty soon you can't put 11 guys on the field.

As I recall we got from Dugger an all-state lineman and a little speedster who took a swing pass to the house against Pioneer...If any of those kids from East Gibson wanna play football that bad, and they're good enough, let 'em go to South Gibson.

This is a tough issue for me...small town rural football is a good thing. But sometimes it just isn't sustainable.

11 minutes ago, ts32 said:

But Pride, you can't play "iron-man" football anymore with 13-15 guys. Not in this day and age, with all the concerns about concussions. You're not allowed to send a kid back on the field after he's gotten his bell rung like we used to do.

With a roster that small, a couple concussions, a couple ankle injuries and pretty soon you can't put 11 guys on the field.

As I recall we got from Dugger an all-state lineman and a little speedster who took a swing pass to the house against Pioneer...If any of those kids from East Gibson wanna play football that bad, and they're good enough, let 'em go to South Gibson.

This is a tough issue for me...small town rural football is a good thing. But sometimes it just isn't sustainable.

Union routinely fielded teams with 15 healthy players within the last decade and were competitive. They beat teams that I coached on at least one occasion. 

13 hours ago, ts32 said:

I see what you are saying.  Times have indeed changed.  I say that because I know for sure kids played injured, and with their bells rung.  Definitely recall seeing Dugger down to 11 players healthy... guys changing position mid game due to injuries... and you are correct..  in today's health conscience game--- they'd be below 11 soon enough.  I always admired them though... and always knew on each team there were a handful of kids who really could play the game..     What are the rules these days?  I know you can go to any school you want essentially.... but you have to be in that school to play on their team correct?  So a kid living in Oakland City would have to enroll in a school such at Tecumseh, or Princeton.. or Gibson Southern.. to be eligible?  That may not be an option for families.  I  can't imagine having grown in up in a community that didn't have football....  fortunately I didn't do that... but I used to think about the boys in other towns that did. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 10:21 AM, Saltwater said:

Would be fun watching them play Warren Central.

Be an awesome game to watch while drinking

Overkill much? The Warriors would kick their butts so darn hard!!!! And feed Warren Central the leftovers.

Edited by WC Warrior

Has anyone heard if any of wood's 13 players have transfered to play at surrounding schools?

I've heard that North Daviess has picked up Brandywine HS (MI) to fill the void on their schedule week 7. Anyone know anything about them?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, faithfulfan said:

I've heard that North Daviess has picked up Brandywine HS (MI) to fill the void on their schedule week 7. Anyone know anything about them?

Hope it’s on a Saturday. Wow. What a trip. Almost 5 hours. 

Never heard of them. Had to just look up where both high schools are at. 

2 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Luckily for ND the game is at home. It is Friday at 8pm according to schedules. That will be a long bus trip.

• Thanks 1

North Knox picked up South Central (Union Mills)  4 hour drive for them...playing Saturday at 6pm...

• Upvote 1

Crawford picked up Jasonville Community

On 8/6/2018 at 9:48 AM, faithfulfan said:

Last year they had national rankings just a bit lower than Tippy Valley, Perry Central, River Forest and just a bit above Oak Hill and Indy Manual. 

21 hours ago, SPARKS said:

Crawford picked up Jasonville Community

They only just started up at Jasonville didn't they?

The guy I talked to said they went 6-2 or 6-3 last year. So I assume at least 2nd year.

On August 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Coach Ellenwood said:

What a monumental waste of valuable school resources.   What are they thinking?