• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 

32 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

This. I can't find another sport where a conference/division title doesn't in some way impact your postseason.

You have very valid arguments and I've really enjoyed the discussion, but I don't think you can use a pro sport or even the NCAA to justify a HS system change though.  It's a completely different animal and driven so much by money/TV.   

Time to head out and get the car loaded up.  Its football Friday!!!

Edited by tango

Don't know about you guys but I am trying to get home so I can make my way to the scrimmage at this point.

I'm all in for the all in and I'd like to see the sectionals only seeded.  Good teams normally advance from sectionals, at least most of the time so there's no advantage to seeding at that point.

I hope everyone has a dry night tonight.  It's gonna be good to hear the pads crackin' again!:07_v:

This is one of the better discussions going on the GID, IMO. But the discussion is much better when someone says “I’m for this,” or “I’m against that,” and then supports it with some reasoning. Otherwise, the comment doesn’t add much.

2 hours ago, bobref said:

This is one of the better discussions going on the GID, IMO. But the discussion is much better when someone says “I’m for this,” or “I’m against that,” and then supports it with some reasoning. Otherwise, the comment doesn’t add much.

But at least it’s discussion. Miss the gold ole days Bob. Almost wish the multiplier threads were back.

Edited by Footballking16

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Almost wish the multiplier threads were back.

Hehe.......be careful what you wish for.

5 hours ago, bobref said:

I believe that this topic has been beaten to death over the past few years around here and I don't think repetition is gonna make it better.  The original topic was seeding of the classes but it evolved into the yearly "let's thin the herd" discussion.  It's time to sit back and enjoy what we have.  The cream will always rise, or it should, and there will be a few surprises.  

17 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

http://gridirondigest.net/topic/58160-what-a-playoff-qualification-system-would-look-like/

Last year around playoff time I showed what a hypothetical playoff would look like in my proposed format. FWIW, Evansville Mater Dei and North Posey were both in the field and by a comfortable margin at that. Mater Dei was the #2 seed in the south and North Posey was the #8 seed.

Records aren't indicative of a teams worth. There are plenty of ranking systems that rank teams on a number of criteria, not just W-L record. I don't think the IHSAA would ever resort to strictly W-L record because conferences are equally balanced.

I do recall your hypothetical playoff. Not that I disagree with the current format or your proposed format. I did however notice some things from your hypothetical as the all in format took place. In 4A your hypothetical qualification format had #1 Evansville Central vs #16 New Castle. Rightfully so for New Castle coming into the tournament with their 5-4 season. That being said in the actual all in format at the end of the season 1-8 Mooresville after winning their first sectional game beat New Castle at New Castle to advance to the Sectional Championship and give Greenwood a good fight before losing. I think the possibility of this happening really interests many people and why they like to see the all in format. For Mooresville I am sure they were thrilled to be able to play in the tournament and got things headed in the right direction. We will see this year but that definitely could have been a building block into this year and what they might do. Without the all in format that may not have been possible.

Just giving another POV.

• Upvote 1

To those who support a qualification system for football- would you support the same system in basketball and baseball?

14 hours ago, PHJIndy said:

I believe that this topic has been beaten to death over the past few years around here and I don't think repetition is gonna make it better.  The original topic was seeding of the classes but it evolved into the yearly "let's thin the herd" discussion.  It's time to sit back and enjoy what we have.  The cream will always rise, or it should, and there will be a few surprises.  

The cream of the crop will always rise to the top!

On 8/11/2018 at 10:35 AM, DanteEstonia said:

To those who support a qualification system for football- would you support the same system in basketball and baseball?

Don't follow either nearly as much as football. Will say that there is much more parity in both those sports across the state where past results aren't quite as indicative as future results. One player can make an average to below average team good in basketball just like one dominant pitcher on a bad team could beat any team on any given night. Football is different, you get beat by 4 TDs one week you're likely looking at the same outcome in the playoffs with the all-in.

I would support a qualification for basketball and baseball but don't believe it as a necessity like it is for football.