• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Urban Meyer Death Watch

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The only thing I disagree with is the nudging of Gene Smith. The NCAA is paying a LOT of attention to OSU athletics. There are multiple issues and programs being investigated; all on his watch. Now, he may beat them to the punch and resign; but if he tries to stay put, he will be fired.

The sexual harassment issues at OSU occurred under the prior AD Andy Geiger, who also has the Tressel debacle as part of his legacy.  .  Smith inherited these issues, and if they were potentially damaging to the university, you would think OSU legal would have addressed them and attempted to settle.  

Edited by DrivenT

8 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

The sexual harassment issues at OSU occurred under the prior AD.  Smith inherited these issues, and if they were potentially damaging to the university, you would think OSU legal would have addressed them and attempted to settle.  

True, but this is an interesting twist; paraphrasing FTA that Zach Smith was on a recruiting trip when Gene Smith called him to tell him to return home because he found out about the investigation of domestic violence. If that bears out, then Meyer did not need to relay the message upward. The AD already knew.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/08/06/Colleges/Ohio-State.aspx

Maybe we are heading down the path of who throws whom under the bus with the most damning statements.

• Upvote 1

Been kind of quiet (nationally) the past few days on this subject.  I thought I read (or heard) that the investigation would be concluded in only 2 weeks.  Maybe that's why nothing is being said.  They are waiting until the investigators do their thing.  Not so sure there will be a throwing under the bus if they find smoking guns during the investigation.  As of right now, I'd have to say that Smith isn't in a very good position, but again, I guess that will depend on what they find and conclude. 

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Been kind of quiet (nationally) the past few days on this subject.  I thought I read (or heard) that the investigation would be concluded in only 2 weeks.  Maybe that's why nothing is being said.  They are waiting until the investigators do their thing.  Not so sure there will be a throwing under the bus if they find smoking guns during the investigation.  As of right now, I'd have to say that Smith isn't in a very good position, but again, I guess that will depend on what they find and conclude. 

Big story just broke this morning that is casting the accuser in a very negative light.  Former Coach Earl Bruce's daughter, who is Zack Smith's mom, has come out publicly with comments, as has the accuser's own mother.  

This should help Meyer's reinstatement campaign immensely.

https://buckeyewire.com/2018/08/09/jeff-snook-facebook-post-what-it-mean-for-urban-meyer/

https://thespun.com/news/jeff-snook-urban-meyer-zach-smith-courtney-smith-ohio-state

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mother-zach-courtney-smith-claim-ex-ohio-state-assistant-victim-retaliatory-plot-ex-wife-223132593.html

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrivenT said:

Big story just broke this morning that is casting the accuser in a very negative light.  Former Coach Earl Bruce's daughter, who is Zack Smith's mom, has come out publicly with comments, as has the accuser's own mother.  

This should help Meyer's reinstatement campaign immensely.

https://buckeyewire.com/2018/08/09/jeff-snook-facebook-post-what-it-mean-for-urban-meyer/

https://thespun.com/news/jeff-snook-urban-meyer-zach-smith-courtney-smith-ohio-state

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mother-zach-courtney-smith-claim-ex-ohio-state-assistant-victim-retaliatory-plot-ex-wife-223132593.html

Thanks for the heads up.  Didn't see the news this morning.

DrivenT - After I watched the "alleged" victim talking during an interview, I told my wife "there is something not quite right here".  The body language she used seemed to say she's not telling everything.  I just read the report on yahoo from the link you provided.  If this indeed holds up,  this woman should be held accountable (just like the accused if found guilty) and sent to prison.  She just has the look and actions of someone who is "high maintenance" and everyone owes her something.   I do NOT condone violence against anyone and especially against children and women.  But to cry "wolf" and try to get someone in trouble is quite disturbing as well  What is that saying?  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".  Yikes!   Too bad it was the mothers who had to tell the rest of the story.  If it wasn't before, I'm thinking that family just became somewhat dysfunctional.  The holidays will never be the same.

2 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

DrivenT - After I watched the "alleged" victim talking during an interview, I told my wife "there is something not quite right here".  The body language she used seemed to say she's not telling everything.  I just read the report on yahoo from the link you provided.  If this indeed holds up,  this woman should be held accountable (just like the accused if found guilty) and sent to prison.  She just has the look and actions of someone who is "high maintenance" and everyone owes her something.   I do NOT condone violence against anyone and especially against children and women.  But to cry "wolf" and try to get someone in trouble is quite disturbing as well  What is that saying?  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".  Yikes!   Too bad it was the mothers who had to tell the rest of the story.  If it wasn't before, I'm thinking that family just became somewhat dysfunctional.  The holidays will never be the same.

All well and good. But the question is not whether the accuser (I like that better than “alleged victim”) is telling the truth. The question is whether Meyer heard the allegations, when he heard them, and what he did about it. The accuser’s credibility has nothing to do with that.

The word in Columbus now is that conversely to the original thought, which held that Meyer knew "nothing" or "little" of the 2015 incident, he actually knew everything, including what is now coming out in this facebook story.   Given Meyer's penchant for micromanagement of his program, this is a likely scenario.  

Meyer says he pushed this up the chain of command (that would be to Gene Smith) and then perhaps he sat quiet thinking that it was a personal matter between the Smiths.  

The betting line nows says that the 3 game suspension is off  the table and Meyer is likely on the sideline for the season opener.  

The Skunk Weasels are likely lamenting these new developments.  :07_v:

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobref said:

All well and good. But the question is not whether the accuser (I like that better than “alleged victim”) is telling the truth. The question is whether Meyer heard the allegations, when he heard them, and what he did about it. The accuser’s credibility has nothing to do with that.

Exactly. Because of his position of power, Urban under Title IX has an obligation to report any allegations of sexual assault. If Urban did report those claims he's likely in the clear as he fulfilled his obligations. Now one can argue why nothing was done to Smith in 2015 and that probably stems from Smith not being charged with a crime. The investigation that is currently taking place isn't to decide if the allegations against Smith were true or not, it's an investigation into whether or not Urban fulfilled his Title IX obligations.

Edited by Footballking16

58 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Exactly. Because of his position of power, Urban under Title IX has an obligation to report any allegations of sexual assault. If Urban did report those claims he's likely in the clear as he fulfilled his obligations. Now one can argue why nothing was done to Smith in 2015 and that probably stems from Smith not being charged with a crime. The investigation that is currently taking place isn't to decide if the allegations against Smith were true or not, it's an investigation into whether or not Urban fulfilled his Title IX obligations.

Actually, Title IX does not come into play, since the “alleged victim” was not a University student or employee. Nonetheless, there is a University policy that requires reporting in this instance. Title IX has been mentioned only because there is a provision in his contract requiring him to comply with Title IX. If he had violated that, he could be fired “for cause,” which means no multi-million $$ buyout.

19 minutes ago, bobref said:

Actually, Title IX does not come into play, since the “alleged victim” was not a University student or employee. Nonetheless, there is a University policy that requires reporting in this instance. Title IX has been mentioned only because there is a provision in his contract requiring him to comply with Title IX. If he had violated that, he could be fired “for cause,” which means no multi-million $$ buyout.

Ah. I thought since Coach Smith was an employee of the university Urban had a duty to monitor. Same as if there was an allegation for one of Urban's players he would have the obligation.

I thought it was more or less the same reason Paterno apologists still to this day defend him, he reported what he knew to his superiors, which he was required to do.

Edited by Footballking16

20 hours ago, bobref said:

The alleged victim's own mother said her daughter planned this to get revenge not only on her husband, but also Meyer.  Why would she want revenge against Meyer?  Did he know about Smith's affair and look the other way?  I'll reserve further comment until the investigation reports its findings.

53 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

The alleged victim's own mother said her daughter planned this to get revenge not only on her husband, but also Meyer.  Why would she want revenge against Meyer?  Did he know about Smith's affair and look the other way?  I'll reserve further comment until the investigation reports its findings.

Spite!  The little princesses world turned upside down.  There's so much more to come out about this woman.  She's never been credible and if anything she was protected from herself by the staff.  These articles give you a good look at who she is but the most despicable things haven't come out yet and some likely never will just because it's embarrassment by association.  

no contact for Urban according to OSU.  

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/08/ohio_state_orders_suspended_co.html

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-Urban-Meyer-barred-from-contact-with-players-coaches-during-investigation-120561576/

The thought of most Ohio State fans was that Meyer, while not physically at practice, which began on Aug. 3, would still have his presence felt at fall camp by watching tape and communicating with his assistants. According to a report from Cleveland.com's Bill Landis, that is not the case. Landis reported on Thursday that Meyer "is not permitted any contact with players, coaches or staff members while he's on paid administrative leave pending a university investigation." This was confirmed to Cleveland.com by Ohio State's associate vice president for university communications, Christopher Davies.

According to Landis, Meyer does not have access to any university-issued communication devices or his school email account and is also not permitted on campus property, including the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, where the football team does much of its practicing, and the football offices. This means that, until a decision is reached on Meyer's status, it is up to Day and the rest of the staff to get the Scarlet and Gray ready for the start of the football season.

And why is this topic titled, "Urban Meyer Death Watch"?  Did you already convict him?  Guilty until proven innocent?  Just asking.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

And why is this topic titled, "Urban Meyer Death Watch"?  Did you already convict him?  Guilty until proven innocent?  Just asking.

Got people’s attention, didn’t it? That’s the function of a headline.

I like the topic title. I maybe would have preferred "Meyer gets caught purchasing complete collection of Golden Girls at Wal-Mart" instead, but "Urban Meyer Death March" isn't bad.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

I like the topic title. I maybe would have preferred "Meyer gets caught purchasing complete collection of Golden Girls at Wal-Mart" instead, but "Urban Meyer Death March" isn't bad.

I’m a big Bea Arthur fan, myself.

• Haha 1