• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Freshman Teams Disappearing Fast

24 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

You seem to want to end one of the largest, if not the largest avenues that teach things that you seem to champion. 

Just because it may be the largest doesn't mean it is the best.  And the physical risks involved while teaching those values have parents holding our their children and possibly looking for alternatives.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Just because it may be the largest doesn't mean it is the best.  And the physical risks involved while teaching those values have parents holding our their children and possibly looking for alternatives.

Go gender neutral scouts!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Go gender neutral scouts!

Scouting is a viable alternative.  Do you not agree?

33 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Scouting is a viable alternative.  Do you not agree?

No, not really. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

No, not really. 

Why not?  What part of mental and physical toughness, and teamwork and sportsmanship, and accountability does scouting not teach?

10 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Why not?  What part of mental and physical toughness, and teamwork and sportsmanship, and accountability does scouting not teach?

Hawk tackling?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I remember the scouts in school, you'll have to forgive me, but I'll stick with my teammates. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I remember the scouts in school, you'll have to forgive me, but I'll stick with my teammates. 

Ahh, the cool kid jock crowd.  

• Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Ahh, the cool kid jock crowd.  

Congrats Muda, you got it all figured out. I'm still choosing my teammates, no matter how much you bully me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Congrats Muda, you got it all figured out. 

Thank you for your support.

22 hours ago, DrivenT said:

That's a very dangerous sign, especially in a community like that.  

And the first kids to go are the fringe bigger kids, who eventually fill out offensive and defensive lines.  It's much easier for these big boys to sit behind a computer and play video games than it is to go out and compete in sports.  

This touches on an issue that has needed be addressed for years.  Kids grow and mature at different rates.....the kid that was shorter and heavy in 5th grade can mature into a 6'4" beast. Likewise the taller quicker kid in 5th grade can end up small and slow by the time he is freshman. Unfortunately these kids get pigeon holed at a young age and don't play multiple positions. Sometimes the rules say if your are (X) weight you can only play line.  So the bigger kids that really need to participate are already limited.  Fast forward a few years and who is playing QB? The kid that already has experience doing it?.....or someone who has never touched the ball.  Football is going to have to adapt to attract more kids. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Safer sports....such as soccer....Uh oh....wait a minute......

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/new-study-shows-that-girls-soccer-has-higher-per-capita-rate-of-concussions-than-any-other-sport

https://www.wired.com/story/brain-trauma-scientists-turn-their-attention-to-soccer/

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Trojan Dad said:

Did I mention soccer? I don't recall doing that..............

Edited by Muda69
  • Upvote 1

This isn't just a football issue - participation in many sports has dropped to the point where schools that once fielded three teams now field just a V/JV. I was the last freshman girls basketball coach our school had - 10 years ago. Numbers have dropped thanks to specialization and impatience (if I can be varsity in Sport A as a sophomore but won't be varsity in Sport B until I'm a senior, I'm going to specialize in Sport A. Back in the day, I'd play both). 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

This isn't just a football issue - participation in many sports has dropped to the point where schools that once fielded three teams now field just a V/JV. I was the last freshman girls basketball coach our school had - 10 years ago. Numbers have dropped thanks to specialization and impatience (if I can be varsity in Sport A as a sophomore but won't be varsity in Sport B until I'm a senior, I'm going to specialize in Sport A. Back in the day, I'd play both). 

Some truth to that. Or transfer to the smaller school to play sport A (V as a frosh)  and they don't have sport B. 

6 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

There it is. 

Right on cue.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My modern experience (not counting my leather helmet days) is that Freshman football's FIRST priority was to keep kids loving the game and having fun doing it.  Don't run kids away from the game.  By playing with those of similar size and age (and developing a sense of class unity), they have something to build on and develop comradeship and pride in their class.  

Its goal is to keep that certain small kid engaged so that when he has that 6" and 50lb growth spurt he hasn't left the game behind two years previously (or the short heavy kid that adds inches and turns into a tight end).   There are so many stories about what kids looked like Freshman year versus what they became as Seniors.  

I get it if you frankly just don't have the numbers but I think you are at a severe disadvantage (at least in 3A upwards) if you can't or don't field Freshman teams.

Its great to win games, etc., but if you really think that is the real priority of Freshmen football, I think it's a mistake.  It's to keep kids in the game and playing the NEXT year.

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Right on cue.

You ruin most threads or attempt to. Not overly sure why you post here or are allowed to. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Roncalli's freshman Team numbers are usually 35-40.   I haven't seen the final rosters for 2018.  Freshman team serves as a good transition  to HS football, allows lots of playing time for all, and it bonds the class since Roncalli has 9 middle school programs.     

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, btownqbcoach said:

You ruin most threads or attempt to. Not overly sure why you post here or are allowed to. 

So strong opinions on various issues is attempting to ruin threads?  You may enjoy living in an echo chamber, I do not.

29 minutes ago, PCollier said:

Roncalli's freshman Team numbers are usually 35-40.   I haven't seen the final rosters for 2018.  Freshman team serves as a good transition  to HS football, allows lots of playing time for all, and it bonds the class since Roncalli has 9 middle school programs.     

Not an apples to apples comparison.  PP freshman teams are preloaded with guaranteed feeder systems, which most public schools do not enjoy.

We all know and acknowledge this fact.

It is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Not an apples to apples comparison.  PP freshman teams are preloaded with guaranteed feeder systems, which most public schools do not enjoy.

We all know and acknowledge this fact.

It is what it is. 

Good point -- I wonder what % of kids that go to PP carry on private High Schools?

21 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Did I mention soccer? I don't recall doing that..............

Not directed at you Muda...it was just a post in general.  Some soccer advocates have claimed their sport to be a safer alternative....as Lee Corso would say...."not so fast"....

By the way...love the Scooby Doo!