• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Freshman Teams Disappearing Fast

Posted (edited)

Read in the NLC thread that Goshen and Northwood, and possibly Elkhart Memorial dont have the numbers to field a freshman team.

What other schools have dropped frosh teams due to low numbers?

Participation declines at pee wee and bantam levels likely now negatively impacting freshman numbers to a significant degree.  Wonder what Indiana high school freshman participation numbers look like today vs 5 years ago.   

https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/08/26/california-high-school-football-concussions-spike-participation-drops/

Edited by DrivenT

Frankfort, a supposed "4A" school, hasn't had a freshman football team in probably almost a decade if not longer.

Are freshmen teams even efficient nowadays? Wouldn’t B and C teams be better? 

Freshman teams keep class comraderie high. At the 1-4A levels especially not all players will develop at the same age. The idea is you have a core if 8+ seniors every year which have a bond and that is developed by keeping numbers high and allowing kids to develop by the time they are seniors to leaders of a program. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Shelbyville does not have a freshman team.  In fact, they had a combined 7/8 team that played down in 7th grade last season.

Now that I think about it . . . I don't think Shelbyville has fielded a freshman team in a few years.

Edited by CaptainHook

I have heard Greenfield Central, the only 5A team by enrollment in the HHC, does not have a freshman team.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CaptainHook said:

I have heard Greenfield Central, the only 5A team by enrollment in the HHC, does not have a freshman team.

G-C will field three teams, but its "frosh" team will be a "C" team that has sophomores (which is not uncommon). 

Edited by crimsonace1

HSE frosh numbers down -- even in populated area like ours the youth participation rate had dropped about 15% and we are feeling it.

6 minutes ago, NorthIndySports said:

HSE frosh numbers down -- even in populated area like ours the youth participation rate had dropped about 15% and we are feeling it.

That's a very dangerous sign, especially in a community like that.  

And the first kids to go are the fringe bigger kids, who eventually fill out offensive and defensive lines.  It's much easier for these big boys to sit behind a computer and play video games than it is to go out and compete in sports.  

6 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

That's a very dangerous sign, especially in a community like that.  

And the first kids to go are the fringe bigger kids, who eventually fill out offensive and defensive lines.  It's much easier for these big boys to sit behind a computer and play video games than it is to go out and compete in sports.  

Shaming and outright bullying of large and overweight kids has become brutal in the government schools.   It's no wonder many of them want nothing to do with extracurricular sports.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Shaming and outright bullying of large and overweight kids has become brutal in the government schools.   It's no wonder many of them want nothing to do with extracurricular sports.

Yep.  Pack up the kids and lets head to the buffet and gorge ourselves for two hours.  Then wash it down with 48 ounces of fully loaded soft drinks.  

Just disgusting.  Cant believe our society has so little self control.  

Take a look at many high school rosters and you will see a lot of 5-9, 265 pounders.   And those are the little guys.  LOL

Edited by DrivenT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Borderline hilarious you say it's become a problem only in government schools. Only see what you want to see dont ya?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Borderline hilarious you say it's become a problem only in government schools. Only see what you want to see dont ya?

Where did i say "only in government schools."?   

As for only seeing what you want to see coach:  Pot. Kettle. Black.

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Where did i say "only in government schools."?   

As for only seeing what you want to see coach:  Pot. Kettle. Black.

Just say schools. Not hard. 

• Upvote 2

BNL is going to a B and a C team this year it appears, and I for one think that is a great thing.  We've done the same thing in baseball.  It actually allows kids that maybe haven't played as long or would get no playing time as a Sophomore or even a Junior for that matter to actually get onto the field and play in games.  They work hard in practice and I'm glad to see schools (maybe out of necessity) do this.

The more kids get to play in games the more they are going to want to stick around.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, btownqbcoach said:

Just say schools. Not hard. 

I have little to no experience with the issue in private or parochial schools, hence my qualifier.  Why do you also want to throw p/p schools under the bus regarding this issue?

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I have little to no experience with the issue in private or parochial schools, hence my qualifier.  Why do you also want to throw p/p schools under the bus regarding this issue?

Every problem that occurs in public schools occurs in all of them lol

• Thanks 1

Chatard had roughly 45 boys on the Freshmen team last year.  Typically, they seem to run in the 30s to low 40s.  Typical Freshmen class will probably range between 80-90 boys.

Frankly, Freshmen teams allow for a smoother transition from Jr. High to HS WITH your classmates versus being mixed in with Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors since there is no separation between JV and Varsity in practice.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Good stuff here from Jon Gruden.

"We love high school football and you know I think it’s smart for everybody at this level, pro football, NFL, to give back to youth football. We’ve got a problem I think in this country. The game is under siege by a lot of people who don’t think it’s a safe game. They don’t think it’s a good game anymore and I think that’s hogwash. We’ve got to encourage kids to play, get the benefits of being on a team, and try to support these programs because they’re not getting much support anymore. We want these kids to come out, see some of the guys they look up to, get some autographs and get excited about their season,” said Gruden.

Gruden was then asked if he believed the pro game was affected by attitudes toward youth football, and if he felt fewer young people were getting into football. “I don’t know. I have a strong opinion on that. I just drive around the streets and I don’t see kids playing in the yards like they used to. So, that’s for another day. I just want to encourage kids, if they do play football, you’re going to learn about mental and physical toughness and teamwork and sportsmanship and accountability and all the qualities that make a young man a man,” he said.

Edited by fkfootball
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, fkfootball said:

Good stuff here from Jon Gruden.

"We love high school football and you know I think it’s smart for everybody at this level, pro football, NFL, to give back to youth football. We’ve got a problem I think in this country. The game is under siege by a lot of people who don’t think it’s a safe game. They don’t think it’s a good game anymore and I think that’s hogwash. We’ve got to encourage kids to play, get the benefits of being on a team, and try to support these programs because they’re not getting much support anymore. We want these kids to come out, see some of the guys they look up to, get some autographs and get excited about their season,” said Gruden.

Gruden was then asked if he believed the pro game was affected by attitudes toward youth football, and if he felt fewer young people were getting into football. “I don’t know. I have a strong opinion on that. I just drive around the streets and I don’t see kids playing in the yards like they used to. So, that’s for another day. I just want to encourage kids, if they do play football, you’re going to learn about mental and physical toughness and teamwork and sportsmanship and accountability and all the qualities that make a young man a man,” he said.

Are we seeing these values in our youth today?  Are parents instilling these values in their children?  

Edited by DrivenT

8 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Are we seeing these values in our youth today?  Are parents instilling these values in their children?  

And American tackle football is not the only venue for instilling those values in youth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

And American tackle football is not the only venue for instilling those values in youth.

But it's one of the largest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

But it's one of the largest.

Your point being?  

Mt. Vernon will have a freshman team for the first time in 10 years this year.

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Your point being?  

You seem to want to end one of the largest, if not the largest avenues that teach things that you seem to champion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1