Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Officials

Heard the Lafayette Central Catholic game had the worst officiating in the state last night. Allowing numerous fights and extras after the whistle. The refs basically decided the game. Are these games reviewed by a higher official?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosier21 said:

Heard the Lafayette Central Catholic game had the worst officiating in the state last night. Allowing numerous fights and extras after the whistle. The refs basically decided the game. Are these games reviewed by a higher official?

45-21 and it was decided by the officials? Not likely.

28 minutes ago, Hoosier21 said:

Interesting that the coaches and players aren't being held accountable.  I wonder why there is a shortage of officials.

• Like 7

I witnessed something a bit different in the Snider/North Side game. The panthers learned not to have fun or show any swagger. They received penalties for both and it really slowed their momentum down. Remember officials, football really is supposed to be fun. You're there to do a job, we get that. But don't get overly flag happy. Let kids celebrate. And if a kid makes a first down gesture, who cares as long as they're not jawing at their counterparts. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Fast forward to 1:50:30 & 3:08:30

The first one couldn't have killed any momentum since it was on a TD, penalty would have been assessed on the ensuing kickoff. Second one should have definitely been called imo.

14 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

The first one couldn't have killed any momentum since it was on a TD, penalty would have been assessed on the ensuing kickoff. Second one should have definitely been called imo.

Also on the first one, it probably would have been ok if he had not spiked the ball? Hamilton Heights got flagged last night for a receiver waving at his pursuers when he crossed the goal line. There is no place for that in HS sports.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gonzoron said:

Also on the first one, it probably would have been ok if he had not spiked the ball?

Yes, that's probably why they got him. They probably made the correct call within the confines of the rule. I just don't like the rule. Let the kids play and celebrate. The second one could have been for something said rather than something done. Hard to tell from the video. 

7 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Also on the first one, it probably would have been ok if he had not spiked the ball? Hamilton Heights got flagged last night for a receiver waving at his pursuers when he crossed the goal line. There is no place for that in HS sports.

I would agree with that one. I wouldn't agree with flagging a kid for making a first down gesture. I get it, it's debatable. 

10 minutes ago, BTF said:

I would agree with that one. I wouldn't agree with flagging a kid for making a first down gesture. I get it, it's debatable. 

At least not when he's facing his own sideline. If he's facing his opponents sideline, that's another story. 

Both flags absolutely justified. In the first, spiking the ball after a TD has been a foul for many, many years. Automatic. In the second clip, the gesture wasn’t much. But it was made in close proximity to an opponent, and right after there was some after the whistle jostling and jawing. Context is important.

2 hours ago, Hoosier21 said:

By the way, there is an Officiating sub-forum in the High School forum, and there is a specific thread started for Week One officiating issues. This would be better off there.

• Like 2

Good insight from all and noted as well. It's not really a matter of whether or not a rule was broken. It's more of a matter of softening up in certain situations. Kids should be allowed to celebrate. Stop taking the fun out of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier21 said:

Heard the Lafayette Central Catholic game had the worst officiating in the state last night. The refs basically decided the game. 

I’ve got to disagree, I know for a fact this past spring I was the worst official in the state. I was told by the winning coach in a 12-0 Softball game. And just to show you how bad I really am, I was on the bases!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, BTF said:

I witnessed something a bit different in the Snider/North Side game. The panthers learned not to have fun or show any swagger. They received penalties for both and it really slowed their momentum down. Remember officials, football really is supposed to be fun. You're there to do a job, we get that. But don't get overly flag happy. Let kids celebrate. And if a kid makes a first down gesture, who cares as long as they're not jawing at their counterparts. 

I saw the film and both of those penalties were absolutely spot on.

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I know for a fact this past spring I was the worst official in the state.

Only because I retired from on field officiating. 🤣

• Haha 3