Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

19 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Coan may have had those TD passes, the one to Mayer was thrown behind him. It took a great play by Mayer to catch the ball. There were a couple throws that were deep with no one close. The pick he threw in the 4th quarter is inexcusable. On a few incompletions, especially on out routes or digs, he threw late instead of leading them. I said it early in the season, he cannot throw a guy open. 
OK State had a solid front against the run, but Coan is not a zone read QB. He made several bad reads. There was one in particular on a 3rd and 2, outside guy crashes down the line hard, but he gives any way. That is a keep read all day. 

Anyone complaining about the ND offense after that game needs a mental evaluation.  The defense was porous and if not for two fumbles in the red zone, the Pokes win going away.

Offense played great for 2 quarters. Wish they would have tried for some points before half with 37 second and 3 timeouts. Think I heard the Irish had 5 drives that lasted less than a minute. They really missed kyren Williams, how many tackles did ok state miss compared to ND? 

Defense played bad. Missed tackles and just gassed 2nd half. I really think OK St. showed notre dames lack of athleticism and depth at linebacker and in the secondary. The score before the half was a huge momentum swing and unfortunately was kind of a trend this season for the Irish defense. 
Coaching wise…. Think Marcus freeman will learn from each game experience, OSU staff with mike gundy who’s been around a while vs a young inexperienced staff at ND, seemed like one made the right adjustments and the other could not. 
it won’t get easier against the next OSU in the horse shoe to start next season

5 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Offense played great for 2 quarters. Wish they would have tried for some points before half with 37 second and 3 timeouts. Think I heard the Irish had 5 drives that lasted less than a minute. They really missed kyren Williams, how many tackles did ok state miss compared to ND? 

Defense played bad. Missed tackles and just gassed 2nd half. I really think OK St. showed notre dames lack of athleticism and depth at linebacker and in the secondary. The score before the half was a huge momentum swing and unfortunately was kind of a trend this season for the Irish defense. 
Coaching wise…. Think Marcus freeman will learn from each game experience, OSU staff with mike gundy who’s been around a while vs a young inexperienced staff at ND, seemed like one made the right adjustments and the other could not. 
it won’t get easier against the next OSU in the horse shoe to start next season

If Okie State can go for 605 on ND’s defense, CJ Stroud may get 605 passing alone.

Edited by temptation

32 minutes ago, temptation said:

Anyone complaining about the ND offense after that game needs a mental evaluation.  The defense was porous and if not for two fumbles in the red zone, the Pokes win going away.

BS…..shut out in the 3rd quarter and just 7 points in the 4th. The offense was non existent for more than half the game. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

Actually it was all 3 phases were bad.  Honeymoon over for Freeman

Guy looked overwhelmed and over his head. Felt bad for him.   ND not the place for testing coached who have never been HC.  

Honeymoon over?  Really?  What honeymoon?  The press conference?

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Honeymoon over?  Really?  What honeymoon?  The press conference?

You get Freeman was/is the D-coordinator who just got roasted for 600+ yds and the second biggest meltdown in ND history
ND faithful expected better and it wont get easier for him with his next game at Ohio State this fall.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, southend said:

Notre Dame will continue to be at the top of the second tier power five schools. Indiana,Purdue will be right there with them next year. Their old coach knew when to leave. 

There went your credibility.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Marcus Freeman has enough talent to cover up any mistakes he may make as a young head coach. Ring ND up for another ten win season in 2022.

Like some of the others on this thread, I'm shocked that Buchner wasn't brought into the game. It's worked all year, why didn't they go to him this time. He brings the type of new energy that would have taken the Irish down the field. Coan would  have a series or two to settle down, relax, come back in and lead ND to victory. Again, it worked all year. If it's not broke don't fix it. Not bringing Buchner in cost Notre Dame the football game. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Marcus Freeman has enough talent to cover up any mistakes he may make as a young head coach. Ring ND up for another ten win season in 2022.

Like some of the others on this thread, I'm shocked that Buchner wasn't brought into the game. It's worked all year, why didn't they go to him this time. He brings the type of new energy that would have taken the Irish down the field. Coan would  have a series or two to settle down, relax, come back in and lead ND to victory. Again, it worked all year. If it's not broke don't fix it. Not bringing Buchner in cost Notre Dame the football game. 

Agree with your first statement.  Until USC and a couple other teams on ND’s schedule can get on their feet, pencil ND in for 10 wins annually.  Even @BTF could throw on the headset and accomplish as much.

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

Agree with your first statement.  Until USC and a couple other teams on ND’s schedule can get on their feet, pencil ND in for 10 wins annually.  Even @BTF could throw on the headset and accomplish as much.

Lol.............thanks?

The season kind of ended the way I thought it would.  The Irish showed flashes of what's to come.  A lot of young players contributed to that first half.  I think what a lot of us forget is that Oklahoma State was an outstanding team.  They came within an eyelash of making the CFP.  The Irish were never good enough to really be a serious contender for the final four, imo.

The game pivoted on the decision, whoever made it, to go soft on the last OSU drive in the first half.  28-7 wasn't that secure enough lead to do that against a good team.  They weren't playing Navy or Stanford yesterday.  It's hard for any team to recover after going prematurely prevent.  At least that's what I believe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

The game pivoted on the decision, whoever made it, to go soft on the last OSU drive in the first half.  28-7 wasn't that secure enough lead to do that against a good team.  They weren't playing Navy or Stanford yesterday.  It's hard for any team to recover after going prematurely prevent.  At least that's what I believe.

Agree 100%. Never play the “prevent” when the opponent also gets the ball first to start the second half. They got “Belichick’d,” i.e., score in the closing seconds of the 1st half, go in, make adjustments, and then score on the opening drive of the 2nd half. They had the game in hand. But I don’t care who the QB is or what he does. When you rush for < 50 yds. in the game, you don’t deserve to win.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 1:09 AM, southend said:

Notre Dame will continue to be at the top of the second tier power five schools. Indiana,Purdue will be right there with them next year. Their old coach knew when to leave. 

Notre Dame's talent level was at the highest in his 12 year career there. The chances of him winning a national championship sometime in the next four years was better at Notre Dame than it is at LSU. 

On 1/2/2022 at 2:37 PM, PHJIrish said:

The season kind of ended the way I thought it would.  The Irish showed flashes of what's to come.  A lot of young players contributed to that first half.  I think what a lot of us forget is that Oklahoma State was an outstanding team.  They came within an eyelash of making the CFP.  The Irish were never good enough to really be a serious contender for the final four, imo.

Spot on with your assessment of OK State. This was the best Cowboy team in the Gundy era.  They were 2, 4th down stops with less than a yd (including one on the goal line in the BIG 12 championship game) from running the table.  ND played an outstanding football team. 

Don't forget the Cowboys had Indpls Chatard's Danny Godlevske starting at C the entire season until he broke his right foot the game prior to the Big 12 championship.  Great career Danny!  Get healthy and get that shot to play on Sundays!!

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Notre Dame's talent level was at the highest in his 12 year career there. The chances of him winning a national championship sometime in the next four years was better at Notre Dame than it is at LSU. 

Yea ok we shall see. I don’t think Notre Dame will ever win another. 

Just now, southend said:

No matter who is the coach. And I think it is the reason Kelly hightailed it out of town. 

8 minutes ago, southend said:

No matter who is the coach. And I think it is the reason Kelly hightailed it out of town. 

Comes down to Jimmy’s and Joe’s…gonna be easier for BK to break into that top four in Baton Rouge.  Sorry guys.

96E88B99-C1AE-45D5-87D9-DBA552D439FD.png

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

Comes down to Jimmy’s and Joe’s…gonna be easier for BK to break into that top four in Baton Rouge.  Sorry guys.

I'm not saying Kelly won't do it at LSU. In fact, my money says that he does. Like him or hate him, he's a damn good coach who's won everywhere he's been. He's not going to do it overnight at LSU, which is why I maintain that his chances in the next few years were better with the Irish. Notre Dame's 2022 class came in at #6. It may have been better had Kelly not left. The 2023 class looks to be in the Top 3.

Kelly + Freeman + Rees + recent recruiting = a very high probability of competing for a national title. 

9 hours ago, DE said:

No reason to apologize for stating facts. 

I mean, I would not completely give up and say ND has no chance, but the climb, even in years where they have a top 5 class is still steep.  Looking at this, don't Friday night's results make much more sense?

It is going to be hard for anyone else to break through.

Something that also stands out to me on this chart are Texas, Florida and LSU...yuck.  Talk about wasting away talent.

9 hours ago, temptation said:

That’s right, ND peaked the last two years,and won’t be a factor in the championship 4 ,going forward. The loss to Cincinnati this year was the handwriting on the wall for ND’s previous coach.  He’s smart , and if his goal was to win it all, he knew this was his obvious move. If it wasn’t his goal then at his age, it was for $$$ only. I’m in the camp of championship reason. 

1 hour ago, southend said:

That’s right, ND peaked the last two years,and won’t be a factor in the championship 4 ,going forward. The loss to Cincinnati this year was the handwriting on the wall for ND’s previous coach.  He’s smart , and if his goal was to win it all, he knew this was his obvious move. If it wasn’t his goal then at his age, it was for $$$ only. I’m in the camp of championship reason. 

Don't think $$$ was a factor for Kelly. Been venturing into some ND message boards and info coming out that Kelly's yearly compensation package the last few years has been between $7.5-$8.5 mil/yr. He was paid handsomely and one of the top paid coaches in college football.