Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Semi State - Northridge @ New Prairie

Having seen both teams during the regular season and knowing that Northridge has had a bunch of injuries are any of the coming back this week?  I recall a couple of NP fans bemoaning their offense back in August and September and look where you are today.

36 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Having seen both teams during the regular season and knowing that Northridge has had a bunch of injuries are any of the coming back this week?  I recall a couple of NP fans bemoaning their offense back in August and September and look where you are today.

Northridge will not likely have anyone new back this week, however starting with our Northwood game in sectionals we got 1 guy back that missed the 2nd half of the season.  Eppley has worked some magic at making adjustments with who we have. 

49 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

I recall a couple of NP fans bemoaning their offense back in August and September and look where you are today.

Exactly. We are a totally different team offensively than we were in August and September; hence all the bemoaning back then. At the beginning of the year we were 1 kid offensively (when everyone was upset) and it caught up with us during the Marian game. Finally, we started to get multiple athletes involved, which NP has quite a few, started throwing out different looks and different ways to get everyone involved and it has made us a very tough team to match-up with. NP could play in a phone booth with all the beef up front or they can spread you out with their athletes.  Should be another hard hitting game and I know Northridge is going to come ready to play. 

Edited by npcougar15

Northridge is not the same team as we were in the regular season either, and we have faced some great running teams the last 2 weeks that have had very little success moving the ball, including Leo which has multiple D1 offensive linemen. 

Northridge will need to block better this week than we did last night however. 

There's a little history between these two schools. 

Since 1971, Leo holds a 4-3 advantage over Northridge with the most recent being a 28 to 10 win at the 2014 semi state. 

Also from Stu Swartz on Facebook:

Amzie Miller, 1944 Middlebury High School graduate, is a member of the Elkhart County Sports Hall of Fame.
The football field at New Prairie High School is named after Amzie who was a principal in the school system for 19 years.
Northridge, a 1969 consolidation of Middlebury and Jefferson, will visit Amzie Miller Field at New Prairie for a Class 4A semistate football game next Friday night. The Raiders vs. the Cougars.

Screenshot_20211113-171416_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Northridge is not the same team as we were in the regular season either, and we have faced some great running teams the last 2 weeks that have had very little success moving the ball, including Leo which has multiple D1 offensive linemen. 

Northridge will need to block better this week than we did last night however. 

There's a little history between these two schools. 

Since 1971, Leo holds a 4-3 advantage over Northridge with the most recent being a 28 to 10 win at the 2014 semi state. 

Also from Stu Swartz on Facebook:

Amzie Miller, 1944 Middlebury High School graduate, is a member of the Elkhart County Sports Hall of Fame.
The football field at New Prairie High School is named after Amzie who was a principal in the school system for 19 years.
Northridge, a 1969 consolidation of Middlebury and Jefferson, will visit Amzie Miller Field at New Prairie for a Class 4A semistate football game next Friday night. The Raiders vs. the Cougars.

Screenshot_20211113-171416_Chrome.jpg

Great fact, I am born and raised in the New Prairie  Community and didn’t know this fact. Mr Miller was my HS principal. Regardless the Cougars will welcome NR to Amzie Miller Field! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

So it appears the star running back for NP has not played much over the past couple of weeks.  Nicked up and keeping him fresh for the final stretch run?

I think a lot of that has to do with field conditions and the defense they’re facing. They’ve been running a lot of triple option lately and the kid they have at the back position seems better suited for that offense. Mungia running style more east and west and Sinka is more North and south. They’ve been getting the QB way more involved in the running game which has been very successful. I’m sure the opponent and situation will dictate which back they decide to use.

2 hours ago, Rocket said:

I think a lot of that has to do with field conditions and the defense they’re facing. They’ve been running a lot of triple option lately and the kid they have at the back position seems better suited for that offense. Mungia running style more east and west and Sinka is more North and south. They’ve been getting the QB way more involved in the running game which has been very successful. I’m sure the opponent and situation will dictate which back they decide to use.

From what I saw a week ago you are spot on.  NP has 3 good runners in the backfield.  I like #24 (Fronk, think that is his #) on both sides of the ball

I like the pictures from last week. Talk about a tale of two different eras as the the turfless Inferno looked like a mud pit in the New Prairie picture. I've seen both of these teams play a little bit this year and can't imagine this game not ending in dramatic fashion in the 4th quarter. I would probably give NP a 3 point edge just becasue of Hunter Whitenack. The 6'7 300 pount future OL at Illinois is a monster. Good luck to whomever gets to line up across from him on Northridge.

Since we are on the topic of field conditions. Do the Northridge faithful think playing on NPs natural grass will affect their team at all? NPs field has been in pretty good shape this season and I don't think the weather leading up or during the game will affect it too much; but you never know.  

1 hour ago, npcougar15 said:

Since we are on the topic of field conditions. Do the Northridge faithful think playing on NPs natural grass will affect their team at all? NPs field has been in pretty good shape this season and I don't think the weather leading up or during the game will affect it too much; but you never know.  

We played on grass until last year and still have the old grass/ stadium for middle school & practice if needed.  

We played at NorthWood on grass and did alright in sectionals. 

• Like 2