Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best coaching job in the NCAA

BTF

Stephen A. Smith went on a rant today about why LSU is a better job than Notre Dame. He kept citing the ability to recruit kids in SEC country. He must not be keeping up on current events, because Notre Dame recruits all over the country. What I found comical is that not once did he mention the limitations Notre Dame has when it comes to recruiting because of their academic standard. Now I ask this question. What makes a program a good coaching job?

1.   Ability to win a national championship? Advantage LSU. No restrictions on recruiting. Can't read or write? No problem. 

2.   A school that can pay you the most money? Advantage LSU? Or is Notre Dame just unwilling to pay that kind of money. I have a hard time believing the money isn't there. 

3.   Ability to coach kids who actually want to get a degree? Advantage Notre Dame.

4.   Ability to be showcased every week from California to New York and everywhere between? Advantage Notre Dame. 

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. 

I think for a select few people at the very pinnacle of their profession, the ability to compete for the ultimate achievement drives every decision, it outweighs all other factors. I don’t think there’s any question that, over the long term, LSU is more likely to be competing for a championship than Notre Dame, for reasons that are well known and have already been discussed. For BK, given all that he achieved at Notre Dame and still only got occasionally within shouting distance of the trophy, he has nothing left to chase except the trophy. So, he saw an opportunity to enhance his odds of achieving that goal, and he took it. And if that’s how you’ve ordered your life’s priorities, then he did the right thing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BTF said:

Stephen A. Smith went on a rant today about why LSU is a better job than Notre Dame. He kept citing the ability to recruit kids in SEC country. He must not be keeping up on current events, because Notre Dame recruits all over the country. What I found comical is that not once did he mention the limitations Notre Dame has when it comes to recruiting because of their academic standard. Now I ask this question. What makes a program a good coaching job?

1.   Ability to win a national championship? Advantage LSU. No restrictions on recruiting. Can't read or write? No problem. 

2.   A school that can pay you the most money? Advantage LSU? Or is Notre Dame just unwilling to pay that kind of money. I have a hard time believing the money isn't there. 

3.   Ability to coach kids who actually want to get a degree? Advantage Notre Dame.

4.   Ability to be showcased every week from California to New York and everywhere between? Advantage Notre Dame. 

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. 

With TV contracts galore, #4 is no longer an advantage for Notre Dame.  Everyone has caught up.

I can watch LSU and McNeese State if I wish, regardless of where I live.

As far as location is concerned, I really don't like Louisiana all that much.  Sure it's got warm weather, but lots of varmits like snakes, gators, and skeeters.  Natural disasters, too--Hurricane Katrina?  I love the south, though, but those SEC fans and the pressure to win...

25 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Do people leave jobs for worst jobs? Brian Kelly’s actions tell you all you need to know about the huge difference between LSU and ND.

only hope for nd is joining acc or big ten and loosening academic standards

I don't think Brian Kelly alone determines whether Notre Dame or LSU is the better job. Right now in Kelly's life, he determined that it's the better job for him. Earlier today on ESPN, Stephen Austin was debating why he thought LSU is a better job than Notre Dame "by a mile." He wasn't talking about why it was a better job for Brian Kelly. He was just flat out calling LSU the better job. 

I think the best job means something different to different people. There are probably ten programs that could make the claim. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

I don't think Brian Kelly alone determines whether Notre Dame or LSU is the better job. Right now in Kelly's life, he determined that it's the better job for him. Earlier today on ESPN, Stephen Austin was debating why he thought LSU is a better job than Notre Dame "by a mile." He wasn't talking about why it was a better job for Brian Kelly. He was just flat out calling LSU the better job. 

I think the best job means something different to different people. There are probably ten programs that could make the claim. 

Agree 10000%. On the surface LSU looks like a better job to a LOT of people, but the pressure to win, especially with his contract is higher at LSU than it is for him at ND. He could have continued at ND for several more years at the same rate he has been, and would have been fine. It’s not that the fans loved and adored him. It’s that they reached a level of competitiveness that had been missing. And most know too, as it has been stated, the recruiting limitations are a point to fall back to in seasons like the last few, when it has been clear they are not in the top tier of programs. They ARE on the next tier though. He might get 3 years at LSU before alumni get restless. 
And there are a LOT of coaches who are perfectly happy where they are and have been…..guys like Ferentz, Harbaugh now, Chryst, Swinney, Gundy, and several others. They are not really interested in the next big program. They have great support, and they compete well. Their kids graduate, and they run clean programs….as far as we know any way. 😁

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Their kids graduate, and they run clean programs….as far as we know any way. 😁

Lol, I have little faith in that.

From what I understand, Michigan has a higher academic standard than most. Not in the same category as Notre Dame, Stanford, and Northwestern. But definitely in the next tier. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I said three max.

Over. He'll do well. The better question is whether or not he gets a national title. I say yes. I just don't know if it's going to be 3, 5, or 7 years. Make no mistake, this man can coach football. He's good at hiring the right people to work within his system. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Over. He'll do well. The better question is whether or not he gets a national title. I say yes. I just don't know if it's going to be 3, 5, or 7 years. Make no mistake, this man can coach football. He's good at hiring the right people to work within his system. 

This. The man is driven. National title is what he wants to get. Loyalty is out the door. There is no deception here. He is taking on the pressures of the big show. He knows how to get there. And it ain’t at the has been institution ND. (For football dominance), them days is over for the Irish. Unless there is a scandal involved, I expect him to win one title befor retirement. 

“Shouting distance of the trophy”

Took ND to ghe BCS championship game!  CFP twice

I believe that is pretty damn close

anyone not thinking this guy is going to kill it at LSU havent been paying attention.  LSU draws legit 5-star talent at every position and BK can flat out coach.  Last 15 seasons between Cincy and ND double-digit wins 10 times. 

With SEC talent he will get his trophy…maybe more than one

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I’ll take the under…and sleep well.

38 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Then there’s no hope, because that will never happen.

I agree, but would add, it does not seem that the school wants to even take a chance on some borderline kids; or maybe we don't hear about the kids who become or are academically ineligible. It seems it has been a LONG time since they had a player like Tony Rice who had to get his grades up to be eligible. I think history shows, that was a risk well worth taking. Granted all risks will not succeed like he did. 

Also along these same lines, the marginal ,5 star ,kids have a lot more college choices  now ,to win a National championship than in the past. Although Alabama is one constant recently. Used to be the same characters ,schools,every year in the hunt for a mythical championship. And ND would get their share based on reputation. 

15 hours ago, southend said:

This. The man is driven. National title is what he wants to get. Loyalty is out the door. There is no deception here. He is taking on the pressures of the big show. He knows how to get there. And it ain’t at the has been institution ND. (For football dominance), them days is over for the Irish. Unless there is a scandal involved, I expect him to win one title befor retirement. 

Who knew BK was a southern cajun man?  That accent at the LSU arena last night....wow!!!

I expect by next season, he will put Coach Farmer Fran to shame.  Let's go MudDogs!!

image.png.5149088c7627e0686ae6a3a29eb218a6.png

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Haha 1

I believe these are the most important factors that go into best job in the country:

-Recruiting base

-Competition in said recruiting base

-Resources/budget/facilities

-Path to national title (conference/division)

-miscellaneous items such as history/tradition/

Thought long and heard about this and in my opinion the top 5 jobs in college football (remember this is job only, not current program standing)

1. Georgia-Georgia produces tremendous football talent; flagship university in-state with no conference rival; Georgia Tech only P5 competition but don't directly compete with recruits. Georgia is the one SEC program who in the last 5 years have gone toe to toe in recruiting with Saban.

2. USC-Located in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world and access to a huge local recruiting network; Great history and tradition. Doesn't have any direct competition for local recruits among elite college football programs. Weaker conference sets up for easier path to CFB

3. Ohio State-largest and most passionate fan base in the country; storied tradition; have the ability to recruit nationally as well as being the premier football program above the mason-dixon line

4. Florida-On paper hard to argue against it being the best job; Flagship university in the best state for high school talent. Only drawback is competing directly with in-state schools like Miami and FSU as well the other elite SEC schools looking to poach Florida talent

5. Texas- program has been a disaster since they forced Mack Brown into retirement but you won't convince me that Texas can't be an elite program with the right coach; Endless resources and deep pockets galore in Austin, huge recruiting base, etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Is it an admission problem or are the majors too hard for players that barely qualify?

It’s not a “problem” of any kind. There are certain admission standards. They are higher than NCAA standards. Some players meet NCAA standards, but not ND’s standards. ND can’t recruit those players. Some of those players are very good. That’s it in a nutshell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

I believe these are the most important factors that go into best job in the country:

-Recruiting base

-Competition in said recruiting base

-Resources/budget/facilities

-Path to national title (conference/division)

-miscellaneous items such as history/tradition/

Thought long and heard about this and in my opinion the top 5 jobs in college football (remember this is job only, not current program standing)

1. Georgia-Georgia produces tremendous football talent; flagship university in-state with no conference rival; Georgia Tech only P5 competition but don't directly compete with recruits. Georgia is the one SEC program who in the last 5 years have gone toe to toe in recruiting with Saban.

2. USC-Located in one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world and access to a huge local recruiting network; Great history and tradition. Doesn't have any direct competition for local recruits among elite college football programs. Weaker conference sets up for easier path to CFB

3. Ohio State-largest and most passionate fan base in the country; storied tradition; have the ability to recruit nationally as well as being the premier football program above the mason-dixon line

4. Florida-On paper hard to argue against it being the best job; Flagship university in the best state for high school talent. Only drawback is competing directly with in-state schools like Miami and FSU as well the other elite SEC schools looking to poach Florida talent

5. Texas- program has been a disaster since they forced Mack Brown into retirement but you won't convince me that Texas can't be an elite program with the right coach; Endless resources and deep pockets galore in Austin, huge recruiting base, etc

How is Alabama not on this list?

Notre Dame's facilities rival any program. Notre Dame's history/tradition exceeds anyone's. Notre Dame's recruiting base spans 50 states. And..............it's Notre Dame. Top 5 program if you ask me............I'm not afraid of being a homer. One could argue that Notre Dames limitations on recruiting bumps them out of the Top 5, I don't deny that. 

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

When will you ever learn?

You've gotten the best of me on the last few. I'll win this one. Keep the receipt 🙂