Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Matt Eberflus

DE

As bears fans, people want them to do well....

hope this guy brings in a GREAT staff.

i'd call joe brady and say be creative.  have fun.  get all the toys you need and recreate lsu (to the best of your ability)

Ugh, personally, I hate it. I was hoping Poles would extend the search and not just chose between the 3 that Polian recommended. Plus, looking at the Mahomes and Reid relationship as a barometer, I would prefer to see Fields groomed by an offensive minded HC. Now, Fields will likely be going through a shuffling of OC's as they'll either flame out or move on to HC gigs if really successful in Chicago. 

so many pro bowl players and now a coordinator promoted to head coach of another team.  Impressive for a non-playoff team.

BTW, Colts finished 16th in overall team defense.  Middle of the pack.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=T

Edited by Bash Riprock

Hiring a defensive coach as HC is a huge mistake.

I get it I’m a packer fan and I’m going to hate on the hire no matter what…..but you have the lions in a full blown rebuild…the Vikings cleaned house and probably are going to move on from cousins and dalvin in the near future…..and the packers have the whole Rodgers/Adams situation with 40M over the cap…..

and Justin fields is sitting there needing to be developed.

y’all are wasting an opportunity and still clinging to 1985….one of 2 teams that has never had a 4000 yard passer.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Sort of makes you wonder who actually made this call, eh? Bears = SSDD

Bill Polian?

2 hours ago, wvigo13 said:

If I was a Bears fan, I wouldn't be happy with this hire. Eberflus runs a very soft defense. I'm a Colts fan and I absolutely hated it. Gives up a ton of yards and relied on turnovers to get off the field. Colts D was awful on 3rd down this year. 

That is ok.  It matches the ENTIRE Beers offense.

They did have a bright spot in kicker, Robbie Gould.

Oh wait.  They didn't want to pay him and he walked and is STILL kicking at 463 years old AND on the brink of the SB.

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Sort of makes you wonder who actually made this call, eh? Bears = SSDD

Reports are saying Polian was pushing for Caldwell, George and Ted liked Dan Quinn, and Poles went on his own for Eberflus. Apparently, they are both repped by Trace Armstrong and already have a solid relationship. Quinn has announced he's backing out of all openings, which makes sense considering Jones and Son are rumored to love him and McCarthy is likely a lame duck. I would like to know if Quinn backed out on the Bears or waiting until he didn't get the job.

I would also like to know what Daboll's interest level was. He was the guy I wanted. Maybe Daboll said no thanks and is holding out for the GIants, Saints, or will take his chances next year. I soured on Leftwich. Seems like a Nagy situation again when Nagy was OC in Kansas City but Reid was calling the plays. I've heard Arians and Brady put toghether the Buc's offensive gameplans. Not sure if that's true or not, but the source is a connected NFL journalist.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Reports are saying Polian was pushing for Caldwell, George and Ted liked Dan Quinn, and Poles went on his own for Eberflus. Apparently, they are both repped by Trace Armstrong and already have a solid relationship. Quinn has announced he's backing out of all openings, which makes sense considering Jones and Son are rumored to love him and McCarthy is likely a lame duck. I would like to know if Quinn backed out on the Bears or waiting until he didn't get the job.

I would also like to know what Daboll's interest level was. He was the guy I wanted. Maybe Daboll said no thanks and is holding out for the GIants, Saints, or will take his chances next year. I soured on Leftwich. Seems like a Nagy situation again when Nagy was OC in Kansas City but Reid was calling the plays. I've heard Arians and Brady put toghether the Buc's offensive gameplans. Not sure if that's true or not, but the source is a connected NFL journalist.

LOL, what?  How long has this guy been on the job?  Did he even have time to thoroughly interview them all?

40 minutes ago, DE said:

LOL, what?  How long has this guy been on the job?  Did he even have time to thoroughly interview them all?

That’s why I don’t think it was Poles’ call, ultimately. This has all the earmarks of the George & Ted Show. Prove me wrong. 😂

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bobref said:

That’s why I don’t think it was Poles’ call, ultimately. This has all the earmarks of the George & Ted Show. Prove me wrong. 😂

I get that, but if “rumors” are true that those guys wanted Quinn, how is this poles choice?

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Heard this saying years ago…..and all are welcome to use it…… 😂 

(The Bears) can ***k up a *et dream. 😂 

Of all the Bears uninspiring hires over the years, including Jack Pardee, Dick Jauron, Neil Armstrong (not the astronaut) Marc Trestman (Marc with a C), John Fox (perhaps the most forgettable of them all), Matt Nagy (Matt who?) and even the ubiquitous Dave "Wanny" Wannstedt, this hiring of Eberflush goes down as the most uninspiring of them all.

We go from our choice of Ryan Day and Jim Harbaugh to an unheard of , unaccomplished, totally uninspiring nobody like Matt Eberflush.

I stopped watching the NFL several years ago.  Same with college basketball.  When IU hoops are good, I watch college basketball.  Matt Painter could actually make me a Purdue fan.

I watch the NFL when the Bears are good.  That was a long time ago.  

So we go from Pace-Nagy to Poles - Eberflush.  

Im sure the NFC North is totally intimidated tonight

1 hour ago, HHF said:

Of all the Bears uninspiring hires over the years, including Jack Pardee, Dick Jauron, Neil Armstrong (not the astronaut) Marc Trestman (Marc with a C), John Fox (perhaps the most forgettable of them all), Matt Nagy (Matt who?) and even the ubiquitous Dave "Wanny" Wannstedt, this hiring of Eberflush goes down as the most uninspiring of them all.

We go from our choice of Ryan Day and Jim Harbaugh to an unheard of , unaccomplished, totally uninspiring nobody like Matt Eberflush.

I stopped watching the NFL several years ago.  Same with college basketball.  When IU hoops are good, I watch college basketball.  Matt Painter could actually make me a Purdue fan.

This is just the sort of thing that might inspire Aaron Rodgers to stay in the Division.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

This is just the sort of thing that might inspire Aaron Rodgers to stay in the Division.

You don’t walk away from your enormously profitable “investment” Bob. Sheeeesh. 😉 

15 hours ago, DE said:

I get that, but if “rumors” are true that those guys wanted Quinn, how is this poles choice?

My understanding is Poles and Eberflus are both repped by Trace Armstrong and they have a strong relationship that spans 3 to 4 years and have talked about working together.

14 hours ago, HHF said:

I don't really get why you would want Harbaugh. And why would Ryan Day be a given to succeed in the NFL? Countless highly successful college coaches have proven the NFL is a different beast when you can't outrecruit 98% of your competition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

My understanding is Poles and Eberflus are both repped by Trace Armstrong and they have a strong relationship that spans 3 to 4 years and have talked about working together.

I don't really get why you would want Harbaugh. And why would Ryan Day be a given to succeed in the NFL? Countless highly successful college coaches have proven the NFL is a different beast when you can't outrecruit 98% of your competition.

Harbaugh has proven his worth in the NFL.  He will likely go to the Raiders and thrive

Day is an NFL coach who is working at the college level.  Tough for him to leave one of the greatest coaching jobs in the world, any sport at any level.

Ive learned thru this process that the Bears are no longer a marquee NFL franchise.  Coaches routinely use them as a bargaining chip to land better jobs in more desirable locations.  The Bears family ownership scares off top candidates due to their decades long history of mismanagement.  

The Bears list of head coaches since Ditka is laughable and embarrassing.  You cannot be an elite organization when you consistently have sub elite people at the top.

Done.  Thank God for high school football.  

24 minutes ago, HHF said:

Harbaugh has proven his worth in the NFL.  He will likely go to the Raiders and thrive

Day is an NFL coach who is working at the college level.  Tough for him to leave one of the greatest coaching jobs in the world, any sport at any level.

Ive learned thru this process that the Bears are no longer a marquee NFL franchise.  Coaches routinely use them as a bargaining chip to land better jobs in more desirable locations.  The Bears family ownership scares off top candidates due to their decades long history of mismanagement.  

The Bears list of head coaches since Ditka is laughable and embarrassing.  You cannot be an elite organization when you consistently have sub elite people at the top.

Done.  Thank God for high school football.  

It's hard to argue against Harbaugh's success with the '49'ers; however, they wanted him out of town regardless of the success. Maybe the problem was San Fran ownership, but the reports are he burned out everyone in the building. I think he also benefity from have two really good Coordinators in Fangio and Roman. My bet would be any success he would have again in the NFL would be dependant upon his Coordinators as he hasn't really proven he's elite X's and O's guy. 

51 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

It's hard to argue against Harbaugh's success with the '49'ers; however, they wanted him out of town regardless of the success. Maybe the problem was San Fran ownership, but the reports are he burned out everyone in the building. I think he also benefity from have two really good Coordinators in Fangio and Roman. My bet would be any success he would have again in the NFL would be dependant upon his Coordinators as he hasn't really proven he's elite X's and O's guy. 

I think any Bear fan would take Harbaugh for 5 years and a Super Bowl championship.  If he wears out his welcome - so be it.  He will have earned a place on Bears Mt Rushmore w Halas, Payton, Butkus and Ditka. 

6 hours ago, HHF said:

I think any Bear fan would take Harbaugh for 5 years and a Super Bowl championship.  If he wears out his welcome - so be it.  He will have earned a place on Bears Mt Rushmore w Halas, Payton, Butkus and Ditka. 

How many heads you counting on Mount Rushmore?

13 hours ago, HHF said:

No Gale Sayers?

• Like 1