Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 4A Playoffs Talk

State championship may be decided in the regional in this one as NP and Roncalli look to meet up there.  Northwood the obvious favorite to come out of the north and may have something to say about it.  Kinda feel like 4A May have the least amount of drama through the tournament of any of the classes, we’ll see.

If we wanna keep this short and sweet the winner of Roncalli and New Pal will be the 4A state champ and likely ranked #1 in the state in the multi-class power rankings after the dust is settled up at 6A. But for discussion sake:

- Regional between 17 and 18 will be New Prairie and Northwood - Northwood the winner

- Regional between 19 and 20 will be Columbia City and Kokomo - Kokomo the winner

- Regional between 21 and 22 will be Roncalli and New Pal - New Pal the winner

- Regional between 23 and 24 will be East Central and Ev. Reitz - East Central the winner

New Pal and Northwood

New Pal 4A State Champs

57 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

If we wanna keep this short and sweet the winner of Roncalli and New Pal will be the 4A state champ and likely ranked #1 in the state in the multi-class power rankings after the dust is settled up at 6A. 

Your opinion is that, currently, those are the top two teams in the state?

Roncalli 17, Chatard 14

Cathedral 38, Chatard 0

I think you could make a case for New Pal, but not Roncalli. I'll defer to what some of the Indy area guys have to say if they want to chime in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Roncalli 17, Chatard 14

Cathedral 38, Chatard 0

I think you could make a case for New Pal, but not Roncalli. I'll defer to what some of the Indy area guys have to say if they want to chime in. 

I think there is an argument for both. I get your point. And we'd never really find out. Match ups play a big part in any team match up. Chatard has been up and down this year. Roncalli is one dimensional or so far that is what we have seen.

For Roncalli we will see this week a little better how good they are against East Central. Roncalli played a very good Elder team and nearly beat them after playing a very tough LM team the week before. We can walk that 7 degrees of separation with Roncalli through the LM game who they beat 28-7 (heard it was close until the 4th qtr) bc LM beat Louisville Trinity who beat CG and Carmel. Again some teams match up better with others. 

I wish we could find out though. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Roncalli 17, Chatard 14

Cathedral 38, Chatard 0

Both could be competitive with 6A top teams. I wouldn't say either are the definite best team in the State regardless of class. I would say they are among the best teams in the State. A list that includes Brownsburg, Center Grove, Cathedral, New Pal, and Roncalli. 

Right now New Pal's most significant win was against a good Westfield team (Rock's aren't as good as the last 2 years but they are still a solid team). Decatur Central is not very good this year and Mount Vernon is down from last year. New Pal definitely has beefed up their schedule the last few years with non-conference games, nobody expected Decatur Central to be 3-5 and nothing in New Pal's control. They still could compete with any of the top teams in the State no doubt.

Roncalli has a solid win over Louisville Male who is good but not great (even though they beat Trinity they are 4-3). They did lose a close one to a good but not great Elder team. Roncalli is a little 1 dimensional but very good at that dimension.

I would put New Pal at #4 or #5 in the State and Roncalli at #6 or #7. I think CalPreps has New Pal at #5 and Roncalli at #7.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

4A South is a mess of really good teams, North is all Northwood

I ain't even close to be ready to rule out Columbia City.   Seems like a season, for CC, (once past the Delta game on the road) that they have "righted the ship".  .

I have NOTHING to say about NP.  Let's be serious, I mean really!!!   

4 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

I ain't even close to be ready to rule out Columbia City.   Seems like a season, for CC, (once past the Delta game on the road) that they have "righted the ship".  .

I have NOTHING to say about NP.  Let's be serious, I mean really!!!   

If you want my honest opinion, Northwood is the only team I know that has been playing good ball in the North Bracket. But after looking at CC, oh boy I hope they meet up

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rocket said:

Northwood will have their hands full with New Prairie if that game happens in the regional 

Agree. New Prairie is intriguing. So is Columbia City after defeating Norwell. I think Northwood vs New Prairie is a push at this point, with Columbia City chomping at the bit.

4A looks like its going to be fun to watch shake out. New Pal is definitely the favorite but their path to get to Indy will be tough with Roncalli, EC, and Reitz all trying to up end them. 4A south is TOUGH.

The north has Northwood as the favorite to get to indy but with New Prairie, Columbia City, and Kokomo all spaced out in different sectionals that could lead to some great regional/semi-state round matchups. The knock on Northwood is they rely heavily on the pass and all it takes is one bad weather night to throw a wrench in their plans. 

As for my cougars. If they are playing their best football I like their chances to make another run. Getting through Lowell and Hobart in November is always tough. Should be a fun 6 weeks!

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Agree. New Prairie is intriguing. So is Columbia City after defeating Norwell. I think Northwood vs New Prairie is a push at this point, with Columbia City chomping at the bit.

And Kokomo.