Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Brady Allen

DumfriesYMCA

Probably best to just start a thread instead of having us GS fans/anyone a fan of Brady’s game clogging up Purdue threads and getting off topic.

there are so many potential landing spots for him but to touch on a few….

Purdue….every report says he still loves Purdue.  He’s just uncertain about their plans for him and the future.  Can’t rule out him returning.  Alaimo did the same thing last year. 

Oregon.  Oregon has QB depth issues and there are some rumors they have some interest but nothing too pressing.  To me this would be a surprise landing spot as it would arguably be the most ideal landing spot…but it comes with probably the most uncertainty about the future.  But that’s what you get with powerhouse programs that do phenomenal jobs recruiting every year.  It’s a big revolving door of amazing players.

Ole Miss.  Reports coming out today that Brady will be visiting Ole Miss this weekend.  Not an SEC fan, but this would be a fun move.  Lane Kiffin would be a good coach for any young QB imo.  Ole Miss has depth concerns at QB too.

outside of these 3 bigger names I’m sure there are plenty of G5 schools expressing interest….but with most G5 schools it comes with a trade off.  The ole Playing time vs development debate.  

13 hours ago, Screagle said:

I’ve never heard of this debate?  

It’s more of a fantasy football debate. I play some leagues that are devy and use college players.  

the debate is circled around what transfers should do.

do you transfer to a lower level school in hopes of an easier path to playing time….where ideally as a top prospect you would show out and perform above expectations…..or do you go to another P5 school where you get better facilities, coaches, and competition that improves the development of the player….but that comes at the cost of playing time for the majority of players. 

it’s not always non P5 schools either….sometimes it’s just the powerhouses…like players who play for Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, Clemson….they might choose to leave in hopes of more opportunities at another P5 school. 

maybe debate isn’t the right word for expressing the thought, but it is often a discussion had about players who enter the transfer portal

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

It’s more of a fantasy football debate. I play some leagues that are devy and use college players.  

the debate is circled around what transfers should do.

do you transfer to a lower level school in hopes of an easier path to playing time….where ideally as a top prospect you would show out and perform above expectations…..or do you go to another P5 school where you get better facilities, coaches, and competition that improves the development of the player….but that comes at the cost of playing time for the majority of players. 

it’s not always non P5 schools either….sometimes it’s just the powerhouses…like players who play for Georgia, Bama, Ohio State, Clemson….they might choose to leave in hopes of more opportunities at another P5 school. 

maybe debate isn’t the right word for expressing the thought, but it is often a discussion had about players who enter the transfer portal

Not sure. I think a player has to find the right fit with coaching. Great coaches and great position coaches from D3 to FBS.  I think players get a pretty good idea how things are going to shake out and what their chances are of being QB1.  

Ultimately, most probably want a chance to play asap regardless of level. NFL scouts go to a lot of college practices from FCS, G5 and obviously P5.  If you can play they will notice. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Screagle said:

Not sure. I think a player has to find the right fit with coaching. Great coaches and great position coaches from D3 to FBS.  I think players get a pretty good idea how things are going to shake out and what their chances are of being QB1.  

Ultimately, most probably want a chance to play asap regardless of level. NFL scouts go to a lot of college practices from FCS, G5 and obviously P5.  If you can play they will notice. 

Right but getting coached up by Nick Saban is a little different than going to New Mexico and playing for the lobos.

you can go sit for 2 years with saban and become an incredible player….or you can go play right away for the lobos and depend on the ole “if you’re good they’ll find ya” 

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Right but getting coached up by Nick Saban is a little different than going to New Mexico and playing for the lobos.

you can go sit for 2 years with saban and become an incredible player….or you can go play right away for the lobos and depend on the ole “if you’re good they’ll find ya” 

I’m assuming you never played college sports?  You can be incredible at any college athletic program. 

Edited by Screagle

NFL draft scouts and NFL team reps visit colleges daily during the fall season. FCS, G5, and P5 teams have reps at practices watching players. They know where possible draftees are and they follow them religiously throughout the year. 

5 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Screagle is right.  If a player has NFL chops, the scouts will find them.  That’s their job.  And gobs of guys who don’t play P5 — or in the elite tier of P5 — make it to the NFL.

There is zero question in my mind that a player should value playing time over destination.  They do hang in a balance, of course.  Playing time in the SEC would be better than playing time in the Mountain West.  But playing in the Mountain West worked out pretty well for that “other” QB named Allen.

That’s not to say Brady wouldn’t play at Ole Miss (or wherever).  I have no idea.  But I don’t think he’d be hurting his chances at a pro career by going G5.  If he has what it takes, they’ll find him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Screagle said:

NFL draft scouts and NFL team reps visit colleges daily during the fall season. FCS, G5, and P5 teams have reps at practices watching players. They know where possible draftees are and they follow them religiously throughout the year. 

This is right.

I once talked to Mike Neu about the Colts finding Danny Pinter.  They came by, as they often do, and asked about anybody Neu thought they should look at.  Pinter had just made the move to IOL that season.  They looked at his tape and saw a lineman with unusually good downfield blocking.

They asked Neu if that was typical for him, Neu said it was.  And the Colts took a Ball State lineman in the 5th round.

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

This is right.

I once talked to Mike Neu about the Colts finding Danny Pinter.  They came by, as they often do, and asked about anybody Neu thought they should look at.  Pinter had just made the move to IOL that season.  They looked at his tape and saw a lineman with unusually good downfield blocking.

They asked Neu if that was typical for him, Neu said it was.  And the Colts took a Ball State lineman in the 5th round.

NFL scouts rarely miss on finding kids that should be drafted or at minimum invited to camp with chance to earn a contract. All FCS, G5, and P5 schools host pro days leading up to the draft.

IMO regardless of where Brady ends up I’m sure NFL talent scouts know him and will follow his progress over the next few seasons. 

Edited by Screagle

17 hours ago, Screagle said:

NFL scouts rarely miss on finding kids that should be drafted or at minimum invited to camp with chance to earn a contract. All FCS, G5, and P5 schools host pro days leading up to the draft.

IMO regardless of where Brady ends up I’m sure NFL talent scouts know him and will follow his progress over the next few seasons. 

This is why it’s a debate/discussion topic

some people believe that natural talent will win out almost every time and the NFL doesn’t miss on guys much 

others believe that coaching, competition on a team, and university resources are incredibly important and that without it, natural talent won’t get to fully develop

For some kids, they can go play for anyone and they will continue to develop at their pace….for others…they need top level coaches and stiff competition for playing time on their team to truly get the most out of them and reach their full potential.  

on top of that…some schools do a better job than others for certain positions…like if you’re a WR, Ohio State should be a top 5 destination….and Navy would probably be absolutely last because they don’t believe in the forward pass lol 

19 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Screagle is right.  If a player has NFL chops, the scouts will find them.  That’s their job.  And gobs of guys who don’t play P5 — or in the elite tier of P5 — make it to the NFL.

There is zero question in my mind that a player should value playing time over destination.  They do hang in a balance, of course.  Playing time in the SEC would be better than playing time in the Mountain West.  But playing in the Mountain West worked out pretty well for that “other” QB named Allen.

That’s not to say Brady wouldn’t play at Ole Miss (or wherever).  I have no idea.  But I don’t think he’d be hurting his chances at a pro career by going G5.  If he has what it takes, they’ll find him.

Playing in MWC almost didn’t work out for Josh Allen…he didn’t even want to play for Wyoming at first.

actually kinda funny story about him…at the time when he committed to Wyoming I had 2 uncles working for the Marshall football recruiting office….Josh Allen was BEGGING to get an offer…most at Marshall liked him a lot and told the coaches they should offer.

The coach who had the final decision(Idk if it was QB coach/OC/ or HC) was quoted by my uncle as saying (in some southern draw of an accent) “I don’t want to bring in a QB…I like the QB we got…I like the QB we got coming in next year too.” 

so Josh Allen went to Wyoming as his only offer and like 3 years later that coach was fired/resigned from Marshall 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...