Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Kevin O'Shea hired as Twin Lakes football coach

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/01/25/kevin-oshea-hired-as-twin-lakes-football-coach/69838650007/

Kevin O'Shea was content to sit out a football season and "recharge his batteries."

Maybe he'd have the urge to coach again.

Maybe not.

It was a phone call from his old high school baseball coach that got those competitive juices flowing again.

O'Shea was approved as the new head football coach at Twin Lakes Tuesday.

He returns to the Hoosier Conference, where he once coached the league's most dominant program at Central Catholic before spending the last six seasons at North Central in Indianapolis.

With the Panthers, he went 25-37, but immediately turned around a struggling program that had one total victory in the three previous seasons before he arrived.

After going 3-7 in his first season, O'Shea led North Central to its first sectional championship in 25 years in 2018.

Athletic director Paul Loggan hired O'Shea at North Central. When Loggan died from COVID-19 in 2020, O'Shea said things changed at North Central.

Since, he'd been looking for a new opportunity.

After two seasons of not finding the right fit, O'Shea resigned in November.

In December, Kevin Sayler resigned as Twin Lakes football coach.

Jake Burton, the baseball coach at Twin Lakes who was O'Shea's athletic director during O'Shea's stint as head coach of his alma mater McCutcheon, made a call.

"When Jake found out the job was going to be open, Jake was on the phone with me right away," O'Shea said. "As a matter of fact, I am probably there because Jake got in my ear pretty quick.

"When your old athletic director gives you a phone call and tells you about the positive that he sees there, it really interested me."

The Twin Lakes position came with an added caveat that O'Shea missed − teaching.

At North Central, O'Shea was the director of sports performance.

During that time, he realized how much he enjoyed his role as an educator.

He's now back in the classroom, teaching math at Twin Lakes this semester.

So how soon before the Indians become a dominant force in the Hoosier Conference?

2 hours ago, temptation said:

The man can coach.  This will be fun to follow.

At least he'll get LCC at home rather than having to do homecoming at LaRocca.

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

We will find out for sure.  He struggled with the exception of a couple years at North Central.  He had a losing record there and a couple 1 win seasons if I recall correctly.  

image.png.6fcc5bc377ff3a5b6ab941b1836b1f31.png

image.png.8e2fb6e1ab71a1e9597d39fb8d13205f.png

image.thumb.png.1722aa35a21259855c704957c36c0c3b.png

7 hours ago, Punttheball said:

We will find out for sure.  He struggled with the exception of a couple years at North Central.  He had a losing record there and a couple 1 win seasons if I recall correctly.  

He won a MIC Championship at NC. Something that had not been done before. Everything went haywire after the COVID year.

• Like 2

The dude couldn't even beat the Little Giants, so what can he do with a bunch of Indians?

Oh wait, being told that's another Kevin O'Shea.  Never mind.

Great hire for TL.  At least makes the Hoosier a little more interesting when the Knights visit Monticello.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 8 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 1:10 PM, Ballhawk said:

The dude couldn't even beat the Little Giants, so what can he do with a bunch of Indians?

Oh wait, being told that's another Kevin O'Shea.  Never mind.

Great hire for TL.  At least makes the Hoosier a little more interesting when the Knights visit Monticello.

Didn't expect the butt whipping !