Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2023

Bobref

15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed:  https://deadspin.com/the-chicago-bears-are-what-the-seventh-circle-of-hell-m-1850869163

I'm more convinced the Bears ownership needs to change.  And hell will probably freeze over before that happens.

You never know. The kids haven't  generated any substantial wealth in business outside of the Bears. It's possible they could sell to realize that wealth once Virginia passes. Lucky for them, as long as Gerry Reinsdorf still owns the Bulls and Sox, the McCaskey's are somehow still not the worst owners in Chicago. 

16 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

You never know. The kids haven't  generated any substantial wealth in business outside of the Bears. It's possible they could sell to realize that wealth once Virginia passes. Lucky for them, as long as Gerry Reinsdorf still owns the Bulls and Sox, the McCaskey's are somehow still not the worst owners in Chicago. 

I would think the stadium situation would limit the number of potential buyers.

Edited by Bobref

38 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I would think the stadium situation would limit the number of potential buyers.

Possibly. Though some with deep enough pockets should be intrigued about the prospect of owning the Bears and the potential of the land in Arlington Heights. I'm sure it's a long shot. Considering Virginia's age I think it's fair to say she doesn't have much time left. Hopefully, some family infighting occurs and they sell. I would think the NFL would love to see the Bears with new ownership. From what I read it was the NFL who told the Bears they should consider buying the Arlington Heights land when Churchill Downs Inc announced they wanted to sell the property.

As I was saying:  https://deadspin.com/chicago-bears-nfl-mccaskey-justin-fields-matt-eberflus-1850870038

I’ll never be free of this.

We’ve written it all by now. The Chicago Bears are an embarrassment, a laughingstock, hopeless, backward. And it will never change. It will be this way after I’m long dead.

Fields might be spewing this Deadhead-in-the-parking-lot-while-coming-up twaddle because he was dealing with a head injury that their coach felt the need to reinsert him back into the game with while trailing by a million. The reason Fields might be so lost is because his offensive coordinator, Luke Getsy, has no idea what he’s doing or how to run an offense or develop a quarterback. Fields knows he’s either gone after this season or the coaches will be, so why not just turn on the tunes and listen to The Truth through Jerry’s guitar, man.

And why is Getsy there? Because he was hired by the coach, Matt Eberflus, who was brought in to raise the standard of professionalism and culture after the clown shoes that was the Matt Nagy era. Except none of Eberflus’s players have any idea where to be or who to cover or block and they don’t always try hard and they’re also all hurt. But that’s ok!

They spent training camp on a ropes course and playing pickleball, apparently.

Also, Eberflus was a DC before becoming a head coach for a team that needed to develop the most physically talented quarterback they’ve ever had, or the next one they might have to draft when this campaign of foolishness ends, except his team can’t play defense. They don’t know how to tackle, they can’t pressure the QB and they can’t create turnovers, the last two things being the entire point of Eberflus’s antiquated system. Oh, and the DC he hired was seemingly doing something inappropriate and now he’s gone. But Eberflus has an acronym, dorks.

Not a single player that carried over from the team last year, players that were supposed to at least be contributors to the next good Bears team (there’s a term to make everyone’s colon explode), has gotten any better, and in most cases have gotten noticeably worse.

Those coaches and players are there because of a GM, Ryan Poles, who hired the coach. Poles has yet to draft anything that looks like an impact player, traded for Chase Claypool with the 32nd pick while punting Roquan Smith because he wanted too much money and then paying a much worse player for the same position just $2 million less per season while having $100 million in cap space. Either Pace believes in these players and is as upset at their deployment under the coaching staff as the fans are and everyone will be fired forthwith, or he believes in the coaches he hired and nothing will change. Given how this usually works in Lake Forest, it’s easy to pick which.

But it’s no different than what’s gone on before for decades because the ownership never changes. It’s still Virginia McCaskey, who everyone says is a very sweet woman and still very much with it even if she’s 187-years-old. But she’s not with it enough to see now that two of her sons have driven this team into a ditch over the past 35 years, from which a mole person could never, ever bang them back out of.

So her dope sons hire a dope GM who hires a dope coach who hires even more dope coaches who either turn the players into dopes or they just draft dopes that stay dopes. Hell, they just hired a team president whose only job was to secure a new stadium and they’re as far from that as they’ve ever been thanks to somehow screwing up the large piece of land they already bought in Arlington Heights for the specific purpose of building a stadium there. Even the Oakland A’s somehow got a stadium deal through a local government and the Bears couldn’t even figure that one out.

And it will remain this way.

The McCaskeys have spent their whole life in the NFL and yet have no connections or knowledge of the game to hire the right people. This is all they’ve ever done. They didn’t get rich in another business and acquire the Bears. This is all they know, and they suck at it worse than just about anyone has in history.

And it won’t be any different because Virginia has no plans to sell her dad’s, (George Halas) team. Maybe her kids will when she passes, given that the Bears are still somehow worth billions and that’s hard to turn down when not as bonded to that team. And that’s where Bears fans are. Waiting for a sweet woman to die. Is a football team worth the life of one woman? Of course not, don’t be silly. We’re not that awful. But also, maybe.

Until then, it’ll be the same rerun over and over. It’s never going to change. Dumbasses beget dumbasses all the way down the line. Twas ever thus.

my friends......how have you not even talked about the CHERRY ON TOP on what is this dumpster fire known as Chicago Bears......

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090467-bears-say-over-100k-of-maintenance-equipment-was-stolen-from-soldier-field

The Chicago Bears announced Friday that $100,000 in equipment was stolen from Soldier Field this week.

According to ABC7 in Chicago, a Soldier Field manager and staff members said one or more burglars tore down a security fence overnight Wednesday and drove multiple pieces of equipment out of a garage, including gators and lawn mowers.

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

my friends......how have you not even talked about the CHERRY ON TOP on what is this dumpster fire known as Chicago Bears......

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090467-bears-say-over-100k-of-maintenance-equipment-was-stolen-from-soldier-field

Hahaha. Too funny. Just as it seems the Chicago Parks Department has finally figured out how to maintain the grass at Soldier Field they can't properly secure the stadium. 

20 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I'll die on this hill, but I think Poles has a bright future in the league. Sure, he's made some bad moves, but the guy has a very solid pedigree form his experience at Kansas City and he's young.  He didn't draft Fields and he was kind of forced to hire Flus. Remember, Flus had has final interview with the Bears before Poles was hired. He inherited a complete dumpster filre from Pace and has built up a solid amount of draft capital. I'm willing to give him a few more years. Though it's in his best interest to get rid of Flus and bring in an offensive minded coach that can develop whoever is QB1 next year. 

Bears deserve all of this, called NFL KARMA,  when you fire LOVIE after a 10-6 season when his teams played their nuts off for him, you get this disaster 

Also, somehow, someway, they continue to be a profitable business venture for me, which brings me to the point of, got my 3 tickets for XMAS eve game vs Arizona Cardinals,  BIG BIG GAME THERE!!   Come get some 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Bears deserve all of this, called NFL KARMA,  when you fire LOVIE after a 10-6 season when his teams played their nuts off for him, you get this disaster 

Also, somehow, someway, they continue to be a profitable business venture for me, which brings me to the point of, got my 3 tickets for XMAS eve game vs Arizona Cardinals,  BIG BIG GAME THERE!!   Come get some 

That's one problem right there. They will always sell out Solider Field. Regarding Lovie, didn't the Bears start out hot they year he was fired and then went on a massive losing streak? Combine that with going 8-8 the previous season and I can understand why he was let go. They made the playoffs once in his last 6 seasons. That gets a lot of NFL coaches fired.

The Bears started the 2012 season on a promising note with a 7–1 record. The team's defense ranked first in takeaways, third in points allowed, and fifth in yards allowed. However, the team lost five of their next eight games. The Bears finished the season with a 10–6 record, but missed the playoffs for the fifth time in six years. On December 31, 2012, Smith was fired as head coach of the Chicago Bears. Smith departed the Bears with nine years of service, three playoff appearances, one Coach of the Year award, and one Super Bowl appearance.[33] Prior to sitting out the 2013 season, Smith interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles[34] and Buffalo Bills[35] regarding their head coaching vacancies.

Records Since

8-8

5-11

6-10

3-13

5-11

12-4

8-8

8-8

6-11

3-14

The Chicago Bears had a 74-104 record between the 2012 and 2022 seasons.

81-63

Smith began his head coaching career with the Bears in the early 2000s. Across nine seasons, he compiled a winning record of 81-63. 

Is the problem that they fired Smith or hired complete boobs like Trestman, Fox, Nagy and now Flus? To Fox's credit he was hired to bring professionalism to the locker room. Trestman had no control of the team and the locker room was a complete mess.  The story of Lance Briggs putting his coat on and walking out on Brandon Marshall giving a team speech was the typical locker room under Trestman. 

Personally, I think Lovie was overrated. The Bears had 3 soild years under Smith: 2005, 2006 and 2010. Looking at those years: 

• 2005 and 2006: Ron Rivera was D Coordinator
  • 2010: Lovie was relieved of his defensive playing calling duties

His post Chicago Bears career was less than stellar at Tampa, Houston and U of I. I feel like the pedestal he gets put on by Bears fans is a testament to how awful the franchise is. 

22 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Lovie's teams played HARD and there was not much nonsense going on.   

I would put my coat on too if Brandon Marshall was talking....dude was a clown

That I can agree with it. In fairness to Lovie, he was exactly given most dynamic offenses to work with from his GM's. At one point his defense was more likely to generate a TD than the offense. I question if guys like Lovie are mean for NFL HC gigs nowadays. If I'm a GM I much rather have an offensive genius as HC. It's a QB/WR friendly league and I wouldn't want to be losing talented OC's to HC gigs because I have a defensive minded HC.

• Like 1

Scuttlebutt around the interwebs is that Mr. Eberflus will be fired if he doesn't win tonight's game against the Redskins.  I'm all for it.  14 losses in a row (a franchise record, btw)  doesn't win you many friends in the NFL.

Edited by Muda69

34 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Scuttlebutt around the interwebs is that Mr. Eberflus will be fired if he doesn't win tonight's game against the Redskins.  I'm all for it.  14 losses in a row (a franchise record, btw)  doesn't win you many friends in the NFL.

Don’t tell @Coach Nowlin. He’ll start beating the drum to rehire Lovie. 🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

He should be already. The way he’s handled the Chicago media in the past 2 weeks indicates a guy in way over his head. No fire or publicly holding his team accountable. Listening to Tomlinson after Pittsburgh’s latest loss is a complete 180 from Flus’ demeanor. Everything is a positive spin even when he doesn’t even know what’s going on, I.e, Claypool. 

Edited by Boilernation