Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Section 24 Thread

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Many things went wrong for Reitz in that game, but did anybody see video of the last Reitz XP attempt to tie the game yet? Appears that the Boonville player ran offsides right before the snap (also got a fingertip on the ball) but it was not called. Very unfortunate

This right here is the problem in a nutshell.

Some history 

EM

BV

Record

0-1

0-2

1-2

2-2

3-2

4-2

5-2

6-2

7-2

8-2

8-2-1

8-3-1

9-3-1

10-3-1

11-3-1

Edited by tango

2 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

What do you mean?

Many things went wrong … but the only one you mention is your disagreement with a no call made by the guy with the best view of the play in the whole house. Were you watching on a computer monitor? From the stands? If “many things went wrong,” why single out that particular one? Everyone is looking for an excuse and the officials are an easy target. That’s what I meant by “the problem.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Many things went wrong … but the only one you mention is your disagreement with a no call made by the guy with the best view of the play in the whole house. Were you watching on a computer monitor? From the stands? If “many things went wrong,” why single out that particular one? Everyone is looking for an excuse and the officials are an easy target. That’s what I meant by “the problem.”

I’ve mentioned other things that went wrong in this thread or another. That one was singled out because it was a crucial one at the end to tie it up and many people have been talking about it. There is video of it and it does clearly look like the player crossed the line before the snap AND tipped the ball. Reitz was down 14 with 4 min to go, so they were fortunate to even be in a situation to tie or win. Like I said elsewhere, personally I go for the win which also avoids any mishaps on the XP. But I’m in full agreement with anyone saying that many other things went wrong that put Reitz in that situation. Dumb penalties, turnovers, poor tackling, lack of adjustments, injuries, bad gameplay, failed opportunities, etc. Whatever it may be, they didn’t execute well and Boonville is playing very good football right now which is why they’re moving on. 

2 hours ago, Football Fanatic said:

I’ve mentioned other things that went wrong in this thread or another. That one was singled out because it was a crucial one at the end to tie it up and many people have been talking about it. There is video of it and it does clearly look like the player crossed the line before the snap AND tipped the ball. Reitz was down 14 with 4 min to go, so they were fortunate to even be in a situation to tie or win. Like I said elsewhere, personally I go for the win which also avoids any mishaps on the XP. But I’m in full agreement with anyone saying that many other things went wrong that put Reitz in that situation. Dumb penalties, turnovers, poor tackling, lack of adjustments, injuries, bad gameplay, failed opportunities, etc. Whatever it may be, they didn’t execute well and Boonville is playing very good football right now which is why they’re moving on. 

At what point in the game did this occur? If either team shares their Hudl video with the IFOA, as most schools do, I’ll be able to look at it.

The angle I saw was from behind the kicker.  The boonville player comes off the edge and is clearly moving forward at the snap.  But from the angle, it is impossible to tell if he was right on the LOS or if he was a yard or two behind.  If he was a yard or two off the LOS then he timed it perfectly.  If he was on the LOS then it was offsides.  But again, impossible to tell from the angle I've seen.  I'll trust the official that was looking right down the LOS got it right.

1 hour ago, Wildcat1992 said:

The angle I saw was from behind the kicker.  The boonville player comes off the edge and is clearly moving forward at the snap.  But from the angle, it is impossible to tell if he was right on the LOS or if he was a yard or two behind.  If he was a yard or two off the LOS then he timed it perfectly.  If he was on the LOS then it was offsides.  But again, impossible to tell from the angle I've seen.  I'll trust the official that was looking right down the LOS got it right.

My angle looked like he timed it perfectly, but my eyes haven't been the best recently, however, it looked fine in real-time and I didn't see any Reitz players pointing toward indicating an offside by Boonville. Seemed like it was a bang-bang sequence for the tipped ball in my opinion 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

My angle looked like he timed it perfectly, but my eyes haven't been the best recently, however, it looked fine in real-time and I didn't see any Reitz players pointing toward indicating an offside by Boonville. Seemed like it was a bang-bang sequence for the tipped ball in my opinion 

The players, coaches, and fans were all pleading for it. There was a guy videoing directly from the side and the player was a whole step and helmet across before the ball snapped. Like I said, it's very unfortunate for Reitz for it to end like that, but that missed call is not the reason they lost. So many other things happened for them to even get in that situation. Just want to make that clear. Reitz was arguably the best team in southern Indiana all season, but on that night, Boonville was the best and earned the right to take on Memorial. 

7 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

The players, coaches, and fans were all pleading for it. There was a guy videoing directly from the side and the player was a whole step and helmet across before the ball snapped. Like I said, it's very unfortunate for Reitz for it to end like that, but that missed call is not the reason they lost. So many other things happened for them to even get in that situation. Just want to make that clear. Reitz was arguably the best team in southern Indiana all season, but on that night, Boonville was the best and earned the right to take on Memorial. 

To be fair I was mainly looking at the players on the field  not pointing the direction, I did not pay attention to the sideline. Also, do you have that video too?

Boonville has asked Memorial fans to park in the lot South of the gym. The tailgate rally point will be in the circled area. Best get there early if you want a seat. In 2019 it was pretty packed. 

Boonville.jpg

Edited by tango
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

Boonville has asked Memorial fans to park in the lot South of the gym. The tailgate rally point will be in the circled area. Best get there early if you want a seat. In 2019 it was pretty packed. 

Boonville.jpg

Going to have great weather for this game! Although I do prefer the 45 degree a lot more

Boonville 

Offense: 

PPG: 30.8 

Passing: 102.4 YPG/ 1126 yards, 53.8 CP%/ 15.9 YPC/ 13TD, 2INT

Rushing: 243.3 YPG/ 2676 yards/ 6.9 YPC (390 carries)/ 34 TDs 

Totals: 345.6 YPG/ 3802 yards/ 7.08 yards per play (537 total plays, 10 recorded games) 

Defense: 

PPG(allowed): 19.0

Passing(allowed)*: 116.9 YPG (1052 yards)/ 46.8% (81/175)/ 12.98 YPC
Rushing(allowed)*: 219 YPG (1971 yards)/ 5.42 YPC on 363 total carries
Totals (allowed)*: 335.9 YPG/ 3023 yards/ 5.70 yards per play (530 plays, 9 recorded games)

*Paoli and Ev. Harrison games are not included, due to no available stats

Semi-Final recap: 

Being underdogs at home, the Boonville faithful felt they were confident going head to head with the undefeated SIAC champions Reitz, under a rejuvenated team from last year’s 2-7 Boonville squad. This was a rematch of last year’s 1st round, where Reitz went on to beat the Pioneers by 41-34. However, there were new faces in Reitz and old faces in Boonville that wanted revenge. After each team was struggling to move the ball after the 1Q, the Panthers found some rhythm and went down to go up 7-0 around the ~10:00 minute mark, scored by FB/DL Brantley. Reitz felt a little bit of momentum their way, however, and not even a minute later, Boonville QB Conner went to the house on a 57-yard TD rush to tie the game 7-7, which would be the halftime score. However, Boonville would need a great defensive stance to start the 2H, as Reitz would get the ball back. After a couple of plays going downfield, Reitz QB Davies found WR Thomas for a 23-yard TD to retake the lead, 14-7 around the 9:00 minute mark in the 3Q. After starting on their own 20-yard line, ~80-yard drive, 5 minutes later, backup RB Wolfe scored from 3 yards out to tie the game 14-14. However, Reitz was driving after the kickoff and reached the 14-yard looking like another lead change will happen, at the right place at the right time, WR/CB Aigner picks off Davies in the EZ. Boonville was on a roll, as the 3rd quarter was tied. While the Boonville faithful was happy the game was tied, they did not want to struggle as they did against Gibson Southern in the 4th Quarter. Not even in the 2 minutes into the quarter, and facing a 3rd down, QB Conner finds WR Ballard for a 60-yard TD to take the lead for the first time of the night going up 20-14. But the fun was getting started for the Pioneers, as 2 plays later from Reitz, QB Conner picked off Reitz QB Davies on a 2nd down. Starting on their own 23-yard line, and sometime later, QB Conner ran it for 25 yards into the EZ and scored on a 2-point conversion to make it 28-14 with 5 minutes left in the game. While raising tons of eyebrows across the SIAC and the state. However, Reitz quickly scored in ~40 seconds to make the game 28-21 with 4:22 left in the game. Boonville did run off the clock, but it wasn’t much, as Reitz would have the ball back after Boonville would punt. Reitz said not so fast, and QB Davies found WR Thomas for an 83-yard TD to silence the Boonville crowd, with the XP waiting. Hold, snap, and it is blocked, as a Boonville defender tipped the ball, to let Boonville keep the lead. However, it appeared the Reitz sideline wanted an offside call on Boonville but did not get it. The onside kick was coming up for Reitz, however, Boonville did recover the ball and did take nearly all the time off the clock, but had to punt. Reitz had 1 play from Boonville, QB Davies threw it deep, but CB Wolfe picked off Davies to end the game. The Pioneers have stunned the SIAC champion Reitz and advanced to the Sectional Final for the 2nd time in 5 years (2018), as they would soon find out that Memorial will be making the trek to Bennett Field after beating Jasper in a thriller. 

2 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

So a regional win or a sectional win next year keeps Memorial in 4A?

If they win Friday they will stay in 4A, however, if they lose and win 2023 Sectional 24, they will remain

Or

if they lose Friday and not win the 2023 sectional 24. Memorial will be back in 3A in 2024, if I am correct

• Thanks 1