Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Thanks to all of the Ref’s out there

You may not be perfect and us parents are sure willing to let you know when we disagree with you but without your time and dedication, none of these young men would get to live out their dreams each and every Friday night.  For that I want to thank all of you sincerely. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

As the guy who works with officials when they visit my school, I also want to thank them for the work they do.  When they make the easy calls no one says anything but when they make the tough calls someone always complains.  I enjoy talking to our visiting refs and they are always discussing how to be better and how to make the game enjoyable for our student athletes.  Thanks for all you do.

9 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

they are always discussing how to be better

This.

When I observe a crew and go in after the game for the debrief, it doesn’t matter whether the crew is trying to get a 2nd week game … or trying to get a 2nd trip to the Finals. Their question is always the same: “How can we get better?”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This.

When I observe a crew and go in after the game for the debrief, it doesn’t matter whether the crew is trying to get a 2nd week game … or trying to get a 2nd trip to the Finals. Their question is always the same: “How can we get better?”

Is your answer, "find a better observer"?

When I criticize a crew, I do so to try to help them improve, at least that's my thought.  I appreciate the time and the effort they show each week.  I hope there's a review session after each game and they correct their mistakes, just the way we all had to at work.

Anyway, I love 'em all!

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

It would be funny to hear what the officials would say to coaches about their coaching moves.

Many baseball umpires have no problem doing this.  When the IUA (Indy) and FWUA (Ft. Wayne) lower themselves to take 13U-16U summer games, they have no problem evaluating coaches.  I'm sure that feedback doesn't occur during the spring high school/college games.

34 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

Many baseball umpires have no problem doing this.  When the IUA (Indy) and FWUA (Ft. Wayne) lower themselves to take 13U-16U summer games, they have no problem evaluating coaches.  I'm sure that feedback doesn't occur during the spring high school/college games.

I don’t know I one time told a coach we should swap positions because he was obviously a better umpire than me and I was sure as hell a better coach than him. This was in the middle of a run rule game with his second baseman standing back at the edge of the grass waiting on every slow roller to come to her and not being able to throw out routine ground balls at first base. I’m starting to wonder how I’m going to manufacture enough outs to get this thing out to bed. 

My HL, who is no longer on my crew, was getting chewed on by a coach and finally replied, "Coach, I really think you should worry about your coaching and let me worry about the officiating because we are definitely not the reason you guys are down 35-0." I told him he shouldn't have said that, then proceeded to laugh to myself because I definitely have thought it a time or two. 😄

• Haha 2

Agreed - it has to be a tough and often thankless job.

I have noticed over the last few years, there have been many youth/MS games where we have wondered if a referee crew would show up, but there never has been a shortage of dads wearing team polos on the sidelines. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Agreed - it has to be a tough and often thankless job.

I have noticed over the last few years, there have been many youth/MS games where we have wondered if a referee crew would show up, but there never has been a shortage of dads wearing team polos on the sidelines. 

A lot of that has to do with the fact that they can show their butts with no repercussions. They think that because they are coaches, they not only know more about football than me, but they know the rules better as well. We all make mistakes and most of us learn from it.

I look at it this way anymore. I will be at a football game every Friday night regardless, so why not get some extra money instead of paying to get in? The money is not much, but without us there doing our job, these teenagers can't do the same thing that 95% of us did in high school, enjoying the game we love.