Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Conference Question

With Northwestern set to leave after this season, and Logansport set to join, is there going to be split divisions again or are there other plans to restructure for football?

Here’s what the class and enrollment numbers will look like.
4A Logansport - 1252
3A Western - 840
3A West Lafayette - 754
3A Hamilton Heights - 731
3A Twin Lakes - 655
———————————————-
3A Rensselaer - 521
2A Benton Central - 508
2A Tipton - 454
2A LCC - 296

Maybe split it up big and small. Rensselaer is borderline on dropping to 2A and BC’s enrollment keeps dropping, might be time to go big/small divisions??

13 minutes ago, cpg1970 said:
With Northwestern set to leave after this season, and Logansport set to join, is there going to be split divisions again or are there other plans to restructure for football?

4A Logansport - 1252
3A Western - 840
3A West Lafayette - 754
3A Twin Lakes - 655
———————————————-
3A Rensselaer - 521
2A Benton Central - 508
2A Tipton - 454
2A LCC - 296

Maybe split it up big and small. Rensselaer is borderline on dropping to 2A and BC’s enrollment keeps dropping, might be time to go big/small divisions??

Add Delphi and North Montgomery to the smaller division and you have a nice big/small conference there.

3 hours ago, cpg1970 said:

Add Delphi and North Montgomery to the smaller division and you have a nice big/small conference there.

Delphi just got out a few years ago. I can't see any reason they would want to come back. I think there is a greater chance the conference completely breaks up and becomes non-existent. 

39 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I think there is a greater chance the conference completely breaks up and becomes non-existent. 

Possibly.  With the three Montgomery county schools and Frankfort fleeing the Sagamore conference in the hopes of forming a new conference some of these Hoosier conference school may be targeted.

6 hours ago, cpg1970 said:

4A Logansport - 1252
3A Western - 840
3A West Lafayette - 754
3A Twin Lakes - 655
———————————————-
3A Rensselaer - 521
2A Benton Central - 508
2A Tipton - 454
2A LCC - 296

LCC's 2A by SF only.  It is ranked 25th out of 64 for size in 1A.

3 hours ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Delphi just got out a few years ago. I can't see any reason they would want to come back. I think there is a greater chance the conference completely breaks up and becomes non-existent. 

Potentially, I could the HC remaining, if West Lafayette left, it might look like a semi-larger version of the HHC; especially if they pick up Frankfort. 

If that's ends up being the case, I could see Tri-West, Danville, Lebanon, joining up with West Lafayette and possibly maybe peeling off Western to form a new conference.  Would be interesting, in that case, to see if LCC goes stays with the HC or takes their chances with the new conference.  Calpreps shows LCC only a TD off of Lebanon and Danville, two TDs off of Tri-West and a winner over Western.  They already play Guerin in non-conference rivalry game and Seeger more recently.  Would Heights peel off in a situation like that to face Tri-West, Danville, and Lebanon?  Calpreps says HH is favored in against all three. 

27 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 7.19.07 PM.png

Interesting info, thanks for sharing it.   Name of this new conference?    Drives from Frankfort to/from Greencastle and Cascade will be fun.  51 miles to Cascade, 65 miles to Greencastle.  By comparison the drives from Frankfort to Tri-West & Danville was 32 & 43 miles, respectively.

Hoosier Conf next year is being split into 2 sides:  Big/Small 

No longer will there be a crossover championship week 

Big School:  Logansport, Western, West Lafayette, Hamilton Heights, Twin Lakes

Small School:  RCHS (we have I think 460 students right now) LCC, BC, Tipton 

I believe week 4 could be a rotating week for RCHS at least, 2 years beginning next year with WL in week 4, then after 2 years rotates to Western I think or Twin Lakes, etc.   then Week 9, I think we are locked into Logansport each week.  

To deal with the shuffle, we are hitting the road next year to WOODSTOCK ILLINOIS, near the Wisconsin Border for a week 3 game and I want to say River Forest week 8 for a year.  Not sure what we will be doing in 2 years in week 3 and 8 in future.   

I think WL snagged Lowell for a year

As Tippy Valley was a stop gap all year this year for the Cass abrupt departure.  

Also, that 521 number was so inflated 2 years ago, we had a odd summer/fall, large migrant/transient family influx in the HS in the Fall, got us that number, then by xmas we were down under 500, poof.  gone.    

Our 8th grade class this year is literally only 90 students I believe.   We will be 2a for quite some time moving forward.  

12 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Interesting info, thanks for sharing it.   Name of this new conference?    Drives from Frankfort to/from Greencastle and Cascade will be fun.  51 miles to Cascade, 65 miles to Greencastle.  By comparison the drives from Frankfort to Tri-West & Danville was 32 & 43 miles, respectively.

No name as of yet that I am aware of. 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:12 AM, Fballfan15 said:

Last I heard Tipton was still looking for a week 6 opponent. We may be joining RC in Illinois for a game. With 9 schools now, I think everyone should play each other. 8 conference games and then keep your rival non conference game. Scheduling would be so much easier that way. 

There is a reason for splitting up into big and small divisions and no cross-over games.  Schools like BC and apparently Tipton this year are getting beat like drums against the larger conference schools.  It would be nice to add a couple more 2A schools to the mix in the smaller division, that is why Delphi would make sense but not sure they would come back into the conference which they just left fairly recently.  Frankfort would be another to the big school division but they are currently in the process of joining another conference.

5 minutes ago, cpg1970 said:

Frankfort would be another to the big school division but they are currently in the process of joining another conference.

Frankfort is a 'big school' in attendance only.  As I have posited before FHS is a 4A school with a high mid-to-high 2A athletic talent base, at best.

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Frankfort is a 'big school' in attendance only.  As I have posited before FHS is a 4A school with a high mid-to-high 2A athletic talent base, at best.

I guess I am thinking more in terms of travel distance for them.  The conference they are joining is a tough football conference as well.

2 minutes ago, cpg1970 said:

I guess I am thinking more in terms of travel distance for them.  The conference they are joining is a tough football conference as well.

Oh, this new conference will make the overall travel distances longer. As I previously said:

Drives from Frankfort to/from Greencastle and Cascade will be fun.  51 miles to Cascade, 65 miles to Greencastle.  By comparison the drives from Frankfort to Tri-West & Danville was 32 & 43 miles, respectively.

And sure, they will probably be bottom dwellers in this new conference, just like they have been in the Sagamore for last 10+ years.

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Would Hoosier Heartland know what to do with a team that throws the ball 60 times a game!!!!   

Dem Bizun do a great job chucking it around the yard !!!

The Hoosier isn't the only conference that utilizes the forward pass.  I think the Bison would be accepted just fine.

Would the Bison want to go to a conference where they don't get whipped every week?  Delphi lost to BC 21-12 and Delphi is mid-pack HHC.  Dem Bizun need a change of scenery.

• Like 1