• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
Lebowski

2016 Hoosiers

The Dude expects more then 7 wins this seasons.  Nothing less.

Edited by Lebowski

This is in response to your last post on the old thread. I think the culture is absolutely changing. IU has gone from abysmal to competitive, it's not a process done overnight, especially at a program like IU. With the exception of a handful of seasons, IU has put out some of the worst teams in college football for the latter part of 100 years. With the exception of the Penn State game, played without Howard and Sudfeld, IU was either in the lead or within a single possession of every team they played. Think about that? Gone are the days of being down 42-0 at half and final scores of 56-10 or whatever blowout you used to see on the scoreboard. They are firmly getting better, defense sucks, we know that, but competitvely IU is there. And that is because of Wilson. Recruiting and player development is there. If Feeney comes out IU will have 4 players drafted, possibly 5 if Latham gets picked. When was the last time IU had 5 players drafted in one year?

If you don't like the Nebraska comparison look no further than 100 miles up the road. How ticked off are the Purdue fans who ran Tiller out of town? Purdue had some decent success over time but nothing remotely close to the success sustained by Tiller and they ran him out of town. Purdue has officially taken IU's old title of laughing stock of the B10. Seriously, looking at the history and the state of the IU program what more can you ask for than beating Purdue and going to a bowl game in the same season? If IU went 6-6 for the next 5 years, after seeing what they've done for the last 100, you would have to put Wilson in the Ring of Honor on the spot.

The Dude isn't saying IU is awful.  The Dude is saying the coach will more then likely never get past the hump that you want.  But the Dude will gladly eat crow if Coach Wilson somehow does that.     

The Dude isn't saying IU is awful. The Dude is saying the coach will more then likely never get past the hump that you want. But the Dude will gladly eat crow if Coach Wilson somehow does that.

Right and IU has been awful since Mallory and no longer is, that's a change in culture.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Footballking16, not with the talent they have should 6 wins ever be acceptable, especially with the easy schedule they play. Here is a fair comparison for you, Northwestern. What success did they ever have until Barnett showed in Evanston? ZERO. Fitzgerald has found a niche and is doing wonders with less talent then Indiana has. The budget is smaller at Northwestern, facilities are worse, attendance is lower, yet they are successful year after year since Fitzgerald arrived.

Your are going to hang your hat on beating Purdue? Talk about a dumpster fire, you have to look no further then West Lafayette and the abysmal program that the Boilers have become. The worst coach in the Big 10, hands down, is Hazell. Not only can't he recruit, he couldn't coach a Pop Warner team. That is the team you brag about beating on a yearly basis? If that is the case get ready for 3-4 win seasons on a yearly basis and keep lowering your standards to compete with the Purdue's of the world... I want more then that and Indiana fans who have suffered for years and years deserve more the that.     

Footballking16, not with the talent they have should 6 wins ever be acceptable, especially with the easy schedule they play. Here is a fair comparison for you, Northwestern. What success did they ever have until Barnett showed in Evanston? ZERO. Fitzgerald has found a niche and is doing wonders with less talent then Indiana has. The budget is smaller at Northwestern, facilities are worse, attendance is lower, yet they are successful year after year since Fitzgerald arrived.

Your are going to hang your hat on beating Purdue? Talk about a dumpster fire, you have to look no further then West Lafayette and the abysmal program that the Boilers have become. The worst coach in the Big 10, hands down, is Hazell. Not only can't he recruit, he couldn't coach a Pop Warner team. That is the team you brag about beating on a yearly basis? If that is the case get ready for 3-4 win seasons on a yearly basis and keep lowering your standards to compete with the Purdue's of the world... I want more then that and Indiana fans who have suffered for years and years deserve more the that.

Purdue has more than a 30 game lead in the Bucket series. For a team that has played in the post season exactly 10 times in their nearly 130 years of existence, beating your rival should be the number 1 priority every year.

As far as Northwestern goes, Pat Fitzgerald couldn't have landed in a better position than when he did. Despite their disadvantage in lack of funding and facilities, it doesn't hurt that Northwestern can offer an education almost unparallel to anyone in the B10 outside of Michigan nor that they are located in the heart of one of the biggest cities in the country. It also doesn't hurt that they play in the B10 West as opposed to the East. If they played OSU, MSU, UM, and Penn St every year I wouldn't bank on them being much over .500 consistently. Just my opinion though.

Edited by Footballking16

The Dude expects more then 7 wins this seasons.  Nothing less.

I agree (my optimism has 8 wins on the schedule). Just curious, if IU wins 7 games next year, would you still think Wilson needs to be fired?

The Dude expects more then 7 wins this seasons. Nothing less.

Or another way of saying you expect IU to have the best year in 48 years, without a returning QB, sounds realistic. Got it. Edited by Coach_G

Coach G , keep making excuses for Wilson. You setup a no lose for Wilson, if IU stinks next year, you blame the fact on a new QB yet this year, with an easy schedule, 3 year QB starter, awesome running back, great offensive line, and a talented receiving corp you are happy with 6 wins? Just say that no matter what you are backing Wilson. I would at least respect that position...

Way back early in the 2015 thread I honestly thought IU would get to 9 wins this year based on the schedule and talent. I as wrong as IU blew at least 3 games that were there for the taking. Looking at the schedule next year, 8 wins seems like a possibility until you factor in the QB situation. Sudfeld will be sorely missed and Diamont being a possibility as the starter is a bleak outlook...

Edited by komets3001

If you knew me you'd know I feel different about Wilson.

My stance is after one of IUs best seasons in school history (sad but true) and with continued upswing in production ( even if it's minimal improvement) IU fans demanding change is head scratching from an outsiders position.

Right and IU has been awful since Mallory and no longer is, that's a change in culture.

Why are you just dismissing Coach Hoeppner's accomplishments?

I agree (my optimism has 8 wins on the schedule). Just curious, if IU wins 7 games next year, would you still think Wilson needs to be fired?

The Dude's been on record if the current coach goes bowling next year then the Dude will embrace the situation.  

Or another way of saying you expect IU to have the best year in 48 years, without a returning QB, sounds realistic. Got it.

Any coach worth a darn will have all that figured out.  Especially going into his/her sixth year on the job.  It's absolutely realistic, with any job!!!!  That's how it works even outside of the game of football.

My stance is after one of IUs best seasons in school history (sad but true) and with continued upswing in production ( even if it's minimal improvement) IU fans demanding change is head scratching from an outsiders position.

Why do you dismiss Coach Hoeppner's accomplishments?

Edited by Lebowski

Not true...Terry Hoeppner was absolutely turning the program around and Bill Lynch took a Hoeppner team to its last bowl game prior this year. The IU football program took a major hit with the tragic loss of Coach Hoeppner.

I'm not demanding a change....just saying no to an extension until he can pull IU out of last in the Big 10 and one of the worst defenses in all of FBS during his entire 5 year tenure.  He needs to prove he is more than an offensive coordinator and that he can coach all 3 phases of a game.  

Why do you dismiss Coach Hoeppner's accomplishments?

Where did I do that?

Where did I do that?

You didn't.  The Dude completely didn't comprehend your sentence.  The Dude apologizes.  Sorry about that.

The Dude's been on record if the current coach goes bowling next year then the Dude will embrace the situation.  

So a 7-win season will change the bad IU culture? IMO, it will still be the same culture, just one that won an extra game.

There has to be significant improvement defensively for Indiana next year for the Hoosiers to get to 7-8 wins because they will not be nearly as good offensively. This will be year 6 in the Wilson regime and for those out there that continue to make excuses for him it is put up or shut up time. I sincerely hope they have recruited some speed in the defensive backfield as they are sorely lacking that attribute currently. Would love to see IU at least become respectable on the defensive side of the ball...    

There has to be significant improvement defensively for Indiana next year for the Hoosiers to get to 7-8 wins because they will not be nearly as good offensively. This will be year 6 in the Wilson regime and for those out there that continue to make excuses for him it is put up or shut up time. I sincerely hope they have recruited some speed in the defensive backfield as they are sorely lacking that attribute currently. Would love to see IU at least become respectable on the defensive side of the ball...

I like Wilson a lot and definitely think he has made strides. I do agree he has to continue to show improvements. That's going to have to include the defense next season because of the lost pieces on offense although I think offense will still be productive.

There has to be significant improvement defensively for Indiana next year for the Hoosiers to get to 7-8 wins because they will not be nearly as good offensively. This will be year 6 in the Wilson regime and for those out there that continue to make excuses for him it is put up or shut up time. I sincerely hope they have recruited some speed in the defensive backfield as they are sorely lacking that attribute currently. Would love to see IU at least become respectable on the defensive side of the ball...    

Agree. They definitely need to get better on the defensive side of the ball (mainly in the secondary). It didn't help that the Hoosiers lost Donovan Clark to injury and Antonio Allen to the local Bloomington drug mafia. I think they would have helped the Hoosiers defend some of the big plays, but I still think the defense would have been below average at best. I know injuries plague every team, but I think the story is different over the past two years with a healthy IU team. The key to long term success is finding play makers to help win games, depth will follow with continued success. As disgruntled as some may be, things could be a lot worse (See: West Lafayette Community College Boilers Football team).

So a 7-win season will change the bad IU culture? IMO, it will still be the same culture, just one that won an extra game.

The Dude didn't say anything about the culture.  The Dude said the Dude will embrace the situation.  There's a big difference between the two.  Wouldn't you agree?

The Dude didn't say anything about the culture.  The Dude said the Dude will embrace the situation.  There's a big difference between the two.  Wouldn't you agree?

Not saying you did, but why embrace the situation that has a bad culture?

Could it be the lack of tradition(s) has played a role in IU's decades of football futility?  Hep was starting one with "The Rock", but it really hasn't caught on (or hasn't seemed to) since his passing.  Notre Dame has its "Play like a Champion today" sign at the exit of their locker room.  At the end of a game the entire Ohio State team gathers in front of the student section and sings the school song.  Even the Ohio State band has the tradition of creating script Ohio and a tuba player dots the "i".  Make fun of it if you want to but it ALWAYS pumps up the crowd.  Texas A & M has their 12th Man.  Maybe it's silly of me for even bringing this up, but maybe, just maybe, traditions are a way for the present team to tap into the success of teams from the past or at least motivate them to play like past successful teams.  Just a thought.

Agree. They definitely need to get better on the defensive side of the ball (mainly in the secondary). It didn't help that the Hoosiers lost Donovan Clark to injury and Antonio Allen to the local Bloomington drug mafia. I think they would have helped the Hoosiers defend some of the big plays, but I still think the defense would have been below average at best. I know injuries plague every team, but I think the story is different over the past two years with a healthy IU team. The key to long term success is finding play makers to help win games, depth will follow with continued success. As disgruntled as some may be, things could be a lot worse (See: West Lafayette Community College Boilers Football team).

I read this as simply another apologetic comment for Wilson.  Every team sustains injuries....

I've provided the stats on the 2015 thread.  Over his tenure, IU's defense has been at the very bottom of the Big Ten 4 of his 5 years.  The one year the defense wasn't rock bottom, IU's defense was better than 2 of the Big 10 teams.  (still in the cellar)  Every one of those 5 years, they have been near the bottom of the entire FBS schools.

That is not an outlier based on some injuries....that would be called a trend.  

He has to become a multi-dimensional coach.  Great coaches would not put up with their teams being so one-sided.  The Duke bowl game proved what we have seen all season long...the team simply can't get a stop when its needed.  Wilson must start putting some real focus on the D side of the ball.

Again, not calling for his head...but not in favor of extensions until we see improvement defensively.

Edited by Trojan Dad

Not saying you did, but why embrace the situation that has a bad culture?

Because if he shows he can play 13 at a consistency then he won't be let go.

I read this as simply another apologetic comment for Wilson.  Every team sustains injuries....

I've provided the stats on the 2015 thread.  Over his tenure, IU's defense has been at the very bottom of the Big Ten 4 of his 5 years.  The one year the defense wasn't rock bottom, IU's defense was better than 2 of the Big 10 teams.  (still in the cellar)  Every one of those 5 years, they have been near the bottom of the entire FBS schools.

That is not an outlier based on some injuries....that would be called a trend.  

He has to become a multi-dimensional coach.  Great coaches would not put up with their teams being so one-sided.  The Duke bowl game proved what we have seen all season long...the team simply can't get a stop when its needed.  Wilson must start putting some real focus on the D side of the ball.

Again, not calling for his head...but not in favor of extensions until we see improvement defensively.

I said every team has injuries. Thank you for restating my point. I wouldn't say my comments are apologetic for Wilson, just trying to shine some light for those wanting to jump off the cliff still.

The defense has been bad for Wilson's entire tenure...as well as the past few decades. Some major improvements must be made on that side of the ball, but I have to applaud him for being able to get guys like Allen and Latham, whom IU hasn't historically been able to get. Like I stated in my original post, consistent success will help bring depth.

Edited by AnnexationOfPuertoRico

Wilson is doing just fine, Improvements are needed on all phases of the game. Not just defense. So lets just all get on the bandwagon and help the program continue to attract the elite in-state recruits first, then start stealing the surrounding states recruits. The program is going in the positive direction. This is, all any one can ask for right now. This program was in such a dismal shape when Wilson took over, people just don't understand how much effort is needed, to get the program just to be respectable at this point. Championship are not around the corner, and if you think they are, you are delusional. Small positive steps are what is needed to build on each year. The last season will be the pattern for the next few years, get used to it. It was a great season, compared to previous years. Small positive steps. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!