• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QB Coach

Perry Township

Now that both jobs in Perry Township are open, which one is the more attractive opportunity?

I might be a tad biased here but I'd say Southport is the more attractive job...there is some good talent in the pipelines...the Southport freshman team went 9-0...the JV was 7-2 and the 7th and 8th grade Southport teams finished 7-2 and 4-4...I like the current crop of players...and if they can develop the way I think they can...they have a chance to field some very competitive varsity teams...

I think for the short term, Southport is probably the better job. However, the east side of Perry Township, where Southport is located, is going to be a more transient population, because of the increasing number of apartments and rentals. Long term Perry Meridian may be the better job. Having said that, I think both of these schools are going to be in the bottom half of Conference Indiana in the long run.

I think for the short term, Southport is probably the better job. However, the east side of Perry Township, where Southport is located, is going to be a more transient population, because of the increasing number of apartments and rentals. Long term Perry Meridian may be the better job. Having said that, I think both of these schools are going to be in the bottom half of Conference Indiana in the long run.

What do you mean Butter Bean?  SHS hasn't been in the bottom half of the CI in years.  Going forward, SHS will probably only get better.

One thing that puts SHS over PMHS in my opinion is the fact that you actually have a field.  I know that PMHS is planning one, but until I see dirt move, I would not hold my breath.  

What does having a field have to do with anything? Cathedral does not have a field and they are doing just fine.

One thing that puts SHS over PMHS in my opinion is the fact that you actually have a field.  I know that PMHS is planning one, but until I see dirt move, I would not hold my breath.  

What does having a field have to do with anything? Cathedral does not have a field and they are doing just fine.

Check Mate.

But do you think they wouldn't like to have their own?  It's attractive to have your own field vs. not having one.  To me personally, this would be a low significance when comparing the schools, but it is still a factor.

But do you think they wouldn't like to have their own?  It's attractive to have your own field vs. not having one.  To me personally, this would be a low significance when comparing the schools, but it is still a factor.

TO SHAE

It really has nothing to do with competition, but facilities.  SHS practices on turf, home games are truly home.  Seems PMHS players would have to cart equipment to Perry Field.  The question was, which is better.  I actually think they are about the same.  But choosing one over the other, I'd go with having my home field across the street, instead of 4 miles away.  

Perry's board approved 7.8 mil at the January board meeting for the new stadium. It's happening. 2850 home side, 1000 on visitor, locker room building concessions lights. Turf ready by end of July '16, varsity play starting '17. Doesn't make it a better job but is a big investment by the district for the long term. And overall two softball diamonds, two baseball diamonds and a new soccer field added to complete the project by '18 just icing on the cake.

Now maybe if perry would have just matched the ball state offer for Mike neu maybe we'd have really been sitting pretty.

Racks. You may be right about Southport's future. I just look at the record. Only five seasons above .500 in the last twenty years. Yes, they are recent, but Coach Peebles is now gone as is your college caliber quarterback. I guess we'll know in the next few years.

In ranking the two Perry jobs, Southport has had more success in recent years, but moving forward Perry might be the better job. Jim Tonte made Perry Meridian the dominant wrestling program in the state, so there are athletes who are willing to work. Again, time will tell.

If someone could figure out how to develop the Burmese into football beasts, Perry would be unstoppable.

TW I wasn't going to bring that up, but now that it been addressed you are right, thus my previous comment about Southport and PM being in the bottom half of Conference Indiana. The school system has an ever increasing percentage of the student population who have zero interest in school activities. I think it is a real problem for their sport teams in the future.

TW I wasn't going to bring that up, but now that it been addressed you are right, thus my previous comment about Southport and PM being in the bottom half of Conference Indiana. The school system has an ever increasing percentage of the student population who have zero interest in school activities. I think it is a real problem for their sport teams in the future.

That's a bit unfair about an increasing percentage who have "zero interest in school activities." While a number of people *do* have no interest, and that is a problem for school populations with students with low participation rates, it's unfair to lump the Burmese population of Perry Township into that. A few years ago, I covered the Southport soccer team in the regional. Nearly the entire team was Burmese. An assistant coach brought over a player to help with pronunciations. It was pretty cool - they were really good and they really seemed to be enjoying themselves and representing their school. 

While my post may of been a generalization of a group of students, my comments were based on discussions I've had with Perry Township teachers. I still believe my comments were closer to being accurate than not. Five years from now let's revisit this issue.

I think my observation will be valid.

The Burmese situation in Perry Twp. schools is fairly unique.  One key issue is that there are several hundred different dialects of the language.  It is not uncommon to have three Burmese students in a grade school class with next to no English skills and who are incapable of directly communicating with each other.  The cultural barriers can be extremely high and multi-faceted.  It is proving to be extremely difficult to handle on many levels within the school system. That said, as with most immigrant groups, the longer a family is here, the more they assimilate.  My experience with this community suggests the children are fully down with becoming "Americans."  I wouldn't expect to see many on a football field any time soon, though.

If someone could figure out how to develop the Burmese into football beasts, Perry would be unstoppable.

Sounds like a job for Geoff Roell 

I heard Roell was already beating the bushes looking for trading partners. Said he had some high quality sixth graders he would move for a junior and picks.

This is the 2nd district in Indiana that I have heard has a large Burmese population.  What professsion attracts Burmese families/people to Indiana?  Thank you.

There is a church in Greenwood that is actively bringing them over to escape dire poverty. Most have never seen indoor plumbing, lived in dirt floor housing, and never owned a pair of shoes. The learning curve is steep, but they are slowly buying in.

There is a church in Greenwood that is actively bringing them over to escape dire poverty. Most have never seen indoor plumbing, lived in dirt floor housing, and never owned a pair of shoes. The learning curve is steep, but they are slowly buying in.

Thanks TW.