• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
itiswhatitis

2016 Colts

By now it's common news that Pagano and Grigson have signed contract extensions.  By all appearances, Pagano has more control over who is on his staff due to several hirings.  The recent hiring of Joe Philbin as the OL coach is one of the more intriguing ones (for me).  Now I have to wonder how much control will Pagano have over who his players are.  I am really anxious to see how the Colts approach this year's draft.  I hope the Colts draft for needs this time.  If I hear, "we'll take the best player available" again this year, I think I'll hurl!

Will get a better idea of how they approach the draft depending on how they attack FA. I'm really curious to see how much they spend, especially with Lucks contract coming soon. The salary cap is supposed to sky rocket as well.

GB

I think the signs have been pretty positive for Pagano in terms of some of the assistants hired. Going with a D-Coordinator that he worked with in Baltimore and keeping his OC around shows me that he has been given a little more control this offseason. The draft will be the true gauge though, I agree.

I also don't really understand the Philbin hiring but at least he has a lot of experience and he can't really do anything to make that line worse soooo

• Upvote 1

I think the signs have been pretty positive for Pagano in terms of some of the assistants hired. Going with a D-Coordinator that he worked with in Baltimore and keeping his OC around shows me that he has been given a little more control this offseason. The draft will be the true gauge though, I agree.

I also don't really understand the Philbin hiring but at least he has a lot of experience and he can't really do anything to make that line worse soooo

Agree...didn't know what to think of that one....Didn't know Philbin was considered an OLine expert....

Joe Philbin had at one point coached the OL 20 straight years starting at the college level in 1986 until 2006 with the Packers. He then was the OC for the Packers for a few years before becoming the Dolphins Head Coach. That being said I don't know if he is any good as an OL coach. The Colts also hired Brian Schottenheimer as their QB Coach after longtime assistant Clyde Christensen left to become the OC of the Dolphins.

GB

Edited by GB4
  • Upvote 1

Joe Philbin had at one point coached the OL 20 straight years starting at the college level in 1986 until 2006 with the Packers. He then was the OC for the Packers for a few years before becoming the Dolphins Head Coach. That being said I don't know if he is any good as an OL coach. The Colts also hired Brian Schottenheimer as their QB Coach after longtime assistant Clyde Christensen left to become the OC of the Dolphins.

GB

Thanks...I didn't know Philbin was an OL coach for 20 years....I am guessing he had to be decent...considering it lead to a promo to OC.  I guess his task is to get every ounce they can with the current players....if he turns them into an improved unit, he will deserve another promo!!

Some big name guys as position coaches...will be interesting to see how it all turns out...and how long they will be in Indy.  It does look like that Pagano is being allowed to put together his team, and its impressive that these guys want to come work for him and the organization.

• Upvote 1

I think it shows how respected he is. I am a bit anxious to see that if the Colts do greatly improve this season, what kind of restraints did Grigson really have on Pagano?

GB

• Upvote 1

Very possible for a suspension though. On top of losing Freeman could be another major blow.

GB

Very possible for a suspension though. On top of losing Freeman could be another major blow.

GB

I'm sure that will be more than offset by the increased productivity resulting from that upgraded offensive line. ... Oh, wait ...

• Upvote 1

What's the best case scenario for the Colts with this 18th pick in the draft?

Been hearing a lot of talk that it would be either Zeke Elliot or Leonard Floyd dropping and being on the board at 18. I wouldn't pass up on either of these guys, but don't seem them being there at 18. If Jack Conklin is still on the board at 18, I take him. If he's not I would look to trade back a few spots and get another pick or 2. Then late first round I would look to take Jason Spriggs or Ryan Kelly or maybe Reggie Ragland. I'm not a big fan of Taylor Decker and don't think he helps the Colts out much with the 18th pick. If you can trade back to mid-20's and get him it wouldn't be the worst pick in the world.

Worst case scenario there's a run on OT and pass rushers prior to 18 and the Colts are left with guys like Eli Apple, Ragland, Mackensie Alexander, and second-tier OL to choose from.

I think they go with an edge rusher. The Colts need interior line and there should be plenty available in Second or Third Round. I think they'll go with Noah Spence (Even though Grigson usually shys away from players with a past in the first three rounds) or Floyd if he falls. They have also been very interested in some S players.

GB

What's the best case scenario for the Colts with this 18th pick in the draft?

Been hearing a lot of talk that it would be either Zeke Elliot or Leonard Floyd dropping and being on the board at 18. I wouldn't pass up on either of these guys, but don't seem them being there at 18. If Jack Conklin is still on the board at 18, I take him. If he's not I would look to trade back a few spots and get another pick or 2. Then late first round I would look to take Jason Spriggs or Ryan Kelly or maybe Reggie Ragland. I'm not a big fan of Taylor Decker and don't think he helps the Colts out much with the 18th pick. If you can trade back to mid-20's and get him it wouldn't be the worst pick in the world.

Worst case scenario there's a run on OT and pass rushers prior to 18 and the Colts are left with guys like Eli Apple, Ragland, Mackensie Alexander, and second-tier OL to choose from.

I think they need another 5'10" 180lb receiver......... ;)

Anything other than an OL or edge rusher is a bad move in the first round. The Colts have such pressing needs at those positions that, unless a top five guy drops to 18, they can't draft the best available. They only have six picks, so it might benefit them to not move up and give up future picks. They need to get an edge rusher, guard, and center in the first three rounds, IMO.

Edited by Andy G

Less than 2 weeks until the draft!  Glad to see Doyle get re-signed.  Now that overhyped Fleener is gone, Doyle should get his chance to shine.  If Allen stays healthy for the season, he and Doyle should be formidable in the 2 tight end sets this year.  I am hoping the Colts take an edge rusher with their first pick.  They should be able to get a couple of offensive linemen in rounds 2 and 3.  If they would draft that way I wouldn't care what positions they draft after round 3.  I've read they really like Spence but are also VERY interested in the safety from West Virginia.  Have heard he is another Bob Sanders type of player.

Solid pick for the Colts in C Ryan Kelly. I am surprised Myles Jack has dropped so far.

GB

Edited by GB4
  • Upvote 1

Solid pick for the Colts in C Ryan Kelly. I am surprised Myles Jack has dropped so far.

GB

Awesome pick!!!  I think they hit that one out of the park with the pick of Kelly.  

Little surprised for Jack....that has to be tough to be there and not have your name called.  Knee issues and the term "microsurgery" may scare some teams off when it comes to a 1st round pick.  I am guessing he will go pretty quickly today.

• Upvote 1

Awesome pick!!! I think they hit that one out of the park with the pick of Kelly.

Little surprised for Jack....that has to be tough to be there and not have your name called. Knee issues and the term "microsurgery" may scare some teams off when it comes to a 1st round pick. I am guessing he will go pretty quickly today.

With a little luck maybe he will fall to the Colts. I won't be surprised if he's the first pick of the second round, though.

Colts add DT Hassan Ridgeway out of Texas and ILB Antonio Morrison out of Florida in the Fourth Round.

GB

Not a glamorous or sexy pick(s) draft by any means but the Colts filled some bigtime needs.  Last year Kelly blocked on 488 pass plays and gave up ZERO sacks and had ZERO penalties called against him.  Impressive!  This was THE pick the Colts had to get.  I'm expecting Gore to have a big year now that Kelly will anchor the line.  I was totally good with the Colts not drafting any skill positions.  4 offensive linemen and 4 defensive players was about right.  They mostly stayed away from players with "issues" which I liked even when some of those more popular players fell to lower rounds.  The Colts resisted the temptation.  IMO this is the best draft for the Colts since 2012.  Was a little disappointed they couldn't get an edge rusher but that position was thin in this year's draft.  Now if Philbin can do his magic, the o-line should be improved dramatically.  If Green is half as good as he is projected, the secondary got some new blood.  Can't wait for camp to open!

Edited by itiswhatitis

Probably the smartest first round pick the Colts have made in a while with Kelly. Sure it was hard to pass up some of the defensive players still on the board, but they did what was the safest thing and took a quality player who should start for a decade.

As for T.J. Green, I think he will need quite a bit of coaching before he is ready to really contribute at the NFL level. Freak athlete who should be able to contribute right away on special teams, but he doesn't have much experience only playing defense for 2 years at Clemson. I would leave him at Safety and coach him up for a year and then let him use his speed to run the middle of the field and make plays.

Best pick they made IMO was the left tackle from Texas Tech. Longest arms ever recorded at the Combine I believe? Over 36 inches, should be an elite level pass protector in a couple of years

T.J. Green will behind Mike Adam's for at least one season.

GB