• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
itiswhatitis

2016 Colts

Probably the smartest first round pick the Colts have made in a while with Kelly. Sure it was hard to pass up some of the defensive players still on the board, but they did what was the safest thing and took a quality player who should start for a decade.

As for T.J. Green, I think he will need quite a bit of coaching before he is ready to really contribute at the NFL level. Freak athlete who should be able to contribute right away on special teams, but he doesn't have much experience only playing defense for 2 years at Clemson. I would leave him at Safety and coach him up for a year and then let him use his speed to run the middle of the field and make plays.

Best pick they made IMO was the left tackle from Texas Tech. Longest arms ever recorded at the Combine I believe? Over 36 inches, should be an elite level pass protector in a couple of years

I see Kelly giving the Colts team a ripple effect:  there should be more consistency and continuity from the O-line, better pass protection for Luck, better run blocking (meaning a more typical production year for Gore), the offense should have more sustained drives and less 3 and outs, which should mean the defense will get more rest and will seem to be better this year even with only minor changes in personnel.  Yes, I think he is THAT good.  Saban has an NFL type program at Alabama so Kelly only needs to learn the Colts' playbook.  He had a 4.0 GPA so you have to think that won't take long.  Besides, he's a winner AND a leader.  The best pick the Colts have made since Andrew Luck.

Edited by itiswhatitis

I see Kelly giving the Colts team a ripple effect:  there should be more consistency and continuity from the O-line, better pass protection for Luck, better run blocking (meaning a more typical production year for Gore), the offense should have more sustained drives and less 3 and outs, which should mean the defense will get more rest and will seem to be better this year even with only minor changes in personnel.  Yes, I think he is THAT good.  Saban has an NFL type program at Alabama so Kelly only needs to learn the Colts' playbook.  He had a 4.0 GPA so you have to think that won't take long.  Besides, he's a winner AND a leader.  The best pick the Colts have made since Andrew Luck.

While I like Kelly and think it was a great pick, I will say it was the easiest pick to make. Very hard to disagree with or criticize. 

Also, for what it's worth, I think the best pick the Colts made since Andrew Luck was TY Hilton....

While I like Kelly and think it was a great pick, I will say it was the easiest pick to make. Very hard to disagree with or criticize. 

Also, for what it's worth, I think the best pick the Colts made since Andrew Luck was TY Hilton....

I suppose you could throw Hilton in there.  I still say Kelly is going to have a huge impact on the team.  For me it was somewhat of a surprise they took him.  While some may say it was an easy pick, it was the right pick for certain.  I'm anticipating the offense to be greatly improved and looking for Gore to have a really good year.  Am also glad to see Danny Anthrop getting a shot as an undrafted free agent.

Luck got his extension. Biggest contract in history. $140 million over six years, with $87 million guaranteed. I'm a big Colts fan, but he's not worth that much. I was expecting 120-130.

5 hours ago, Andy G said:

Luck got his extension. Biggest contract in history. $140 million over six years, with $87 million guaranteed. I'm a big Colts fan, but he's not worth that much. I was expecting 120-130.

JeEHZL9.gif

14 hours ago, Andy G said:

He is by far worth that much. By the time his contract ends those numbers will be average to what other QB's will be making. In today's NFL you have to keep a QB that goes 11-5 in his first 3 seasons with mediocre talent.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FishDuck said:

He is by far worth that much. By the time his contract ends those numbers will be average to what other QB's will be making. In today's NFL you have to keep a QB that goes 11-5 in his first 3 seasons with mediocre talent.

I doubt that it will be an average contract for QBs. I just read an article last night saying that the average QB contract has only risen 5% since Aaron Rodgers was given his big pay day a few years back. 

Let's face it - ALL athletes are overpaid.  Society has allowed it to happen because we'd rather be entertained than educated or have good health.  ITISWHATITIS

I know it was just a preseason game, but McGill seemed to play one heck of a game.  Also I liked the Morris kid at QB.  He didn't seemed to get rattled at all.  He made some good decisions and some good plays with his arm and his legs.  After just one game, I think we can all agree that the running game is STILL putrid.  The O line has miles and miles to go!

I think Morris needs to be the backup. Tolzien looked like warm garbage plus he isn't mobile enough to escape the pressure that will be coming if he gets forced into regular season action.

I really don't think the Colts are in a "Win Now" mindset and I can't blame them. The moves they made to address the O-Line probably won't pay off this year as they just added rookies, only 1 of which is ready to play now. In a year or 2 if they can get rid of Reitz at RT (Clark) and potentially find an upgrade at RG (Haeg or Blythe) I think they will be in decent shape, of course assuming Costanzo can get back to playing above average level. The whole wild card in this is if Luck can play up to his potential and Dorsett can step up. If this happens the offense will put a lot of points on the board despite having a bad group up front.

Defensively, the line should be in good shape when all are healthy. Linebacker is probably still a concern, as well as depth in the secondary. The kid from Clemson, Green, showed his exceptional athleticism in the Bills game but also showed he still needs some coaching before he is ready to be an every day starter. Helps to have a new D-Coordinator and a head coach who is a DB guy...

I would put the Colts at 9-7 this year(crucial to start the season well). Next year or the year after they should be back at the 11 to 12 win mark

I think the Colts have a shot at 10-6 or even another 11- 5 season.  They just signed Cromartie to help in the secondary.  If he is as hungry as he lets on, then we won't lose much while Vontae is out.  Can they sustain ANY semblance of a running game?  That will be the key to this season.  If it becomes just pass, pass, pass, then 9 - 7 will probably be the best they can expect.  Also they still suck in the red zone. 

58 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I think the Colts have a shot at 10-6 or even another 11- 5 season.  They just signed Cromartie to help in the secondary.  If he is as hungry as he lets on, then we won't lose much while Vontae is out.  Can they sustain ANY semblance of a running game?  That will be the key to this season.  If it becomes just pass, pass, pass, then 9 - 7 will probably be the best they can expect.  Also they still suck in the red zone. 

Cromartie is a very interesting case to me. On one hand he was a Pro Bowl player just 2 seasons ago and seems to be very hungry as you mentioned. On the other hand, he isn't a young pup and is coming off a groin injury he says. And he was one of the worst corners in the league last season as far as opposing QB rating when throwing at him and there's gotta be a reason he was on the couch until late August when a team was desperate for help for a few weeks. I see him as somewhere in the middle of these 2 seasons, not a Pro Bowler but not the worst corner in the league either. I think injuries are killing the defense right now, which was already a unit that couldn't afford to lose much if anything.

Gore will be able to grind out close to 1k yards this season if Luck is healthy all year; the biggest question for me will be how patient will Luck be with throwing the shorter routes to get the ball out of his hand quick enough to keep him upright. He has made his money in this league by being a down the field attack type of QB, I just don't see him playing 16 games with a conservative attitude and I don't see that OL being able to protect him for long.

Also, D Allen is an interesting guy to watch IMO. Clearly a much better blocker and a better fit than Fleener to the offense they are wanting to run now, but will he be able to stay healthy and space the field occasionally as needed...

We need more people on here discussing pro ball...lol

Colts lose their best OL Jack Mewhort for the season. Big blow. I don't know what the Colts will do to replace him, but, I would think they would be looking for a trade partner.

GB

Nevermind he is only out 2 to 4 weeks.

GB

After watching the latest preseason game and considering all of the injuries, I will retract my 10 - 6, maybe 11 - 5 prediction.  6 - 10 is probably closer to the truth now.  The Eagles did whatever they wanted to  It was sad to watch.  Oh and I was sorry to see Danny Anthrop get cut this week.  I have a feeling he will get signed by another team.  Just too many WR's ahead of him on the Colts I guess.  Still it was cool getting to see him in a Colts uni.

I still think the team will be around 9 or 10 wins if and when everyone is healthy.

GB

I do and I hope he is, but, Pagano has said numerous times the Tolzien is the #2. I hope that changes.

GB

Slow starts are killer.

GB 

10 hours ago, GB4 said:

Slow starts are killer.

GB 

35 points should always be enough to win a game in the NFL.  The defense was atrocious.  I am trying to figure out how much of that is attributed to a weakened and depleted secondary.  Still seems like not much of a pass rush, and LB's have no clue how to check a RB releasing as a receiver.  Man, did the Lions expose that with Theo Riddick.  Ugly.

6 hours ago, Trojan Dad said:

35 points should always be enough to win a game in the NFL.  The defense was atrocious.  I am trying to figure out how much of that is attributed to a weakened and depleted secondary.  Still seems like not much of a pass rush, and LB's have no clue how to check a RB releasing as a receiver.  Man, did the Lions expose that with Theo Riddick.  Ugly.

All I can say is the Colts started and ended the game as though they couldn't even beat Alabama OR Ohio State.  The third quarter they actually resembled an NFL team.  37 lousy seconds.  What team (other than the Colts) allows another team to go the length of the field and kick a field goal to win it with 37 stinkin' seconds left?  Pathetic showing.  They'll struggle to get 6 wins now unless something changes drastically.

6 hours ago, Trojan Dad said:

Yes, 35 points should win a game. I was meaning the slow starts are going kill them in future games not necessarily this one. They were fortunate enough to come back in this gane. Normally I wouldon't overreact and say that, but the slow starts have a constant fixture with Pagano's teams.

GB

2 hours ago, GB4 said:

Yes, 35 points should win a game. I was meaning the slow starts are going kill them in future games not necessarily this one. They were fortunate enough to come back in this gane. Normally I wouldon't overreact and say that, but the slow starts have a constant fixture with Pagano's teams.

GB

I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing.  Slow starts hurt big time...as you know, getting yourself out of a hole is very taxing and causes one to play the game differently.  So I agree with you.  Just saying overall, 35 points should be enough in the NFL.  I'm with you on the slow starts.

• Upvote 1

Ouch:  Doyel: Chuck Pagano is a liability on game day  - http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/09/15/doyel-chuck-pagano-liability-game-day/90419600/

We could tap dance around this, or we could just say it:

Chuck Pagano is a liability on game day.

This isn’t merely a reaction to that 39-35 loss to Detroit on Sunday, though it was enough of a dumpster fire to fuel anything you’re about to read. That was the last straw, for me, as it relates to a coach who is beloved by his players yet can’t get them consistently ready to play. A coach who knows the modern-day football lingo – twitchy is the new “explosive,” position flex the new “versatile,”second level the new “linebackers” – but manages the game like it’s 1987. That’s the year Pagano received his first full-time job, coaching linebackers for Boise State. He coached defense for a quarter of a century before taking over the Indianapolis Colts.

So why has defense been such a disaster since he got here?

Please, don’t look at me like that. It's impossible not to respect Chuck Pagano the man. He’s an inspiration, not just beating leukemia in 2012 but waging war on that disease since then – raising a small fortune for the fight and reaching out to encourage cancer patients with zero fanfare. A guy like this? You have to love a guy like this.

But a coach like this? You have to wonder about a coach like this.

Nice to see Mr. Doyel not mincing many words here.