Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - 12 things Id like to see

Guest DT

16 hours ago, DT said:

The quality of play at the contraction level is sub entertainment level.  The valuable  resources required to participate could be utilized much more effectively and positively impact a much larger group of students if allocated elsewhere.

Players at losing programs are still willingly participating in the sport. It's not like anybody is forcing them to. They are still getting enjoyment out of competing. When I was in high school, I was a member of a winning program in one sport and a member of a program in another sport that didn't win a game for a couple of years. I would have been very upset if the losing program had been shuttered due to "lack of competitiveness." That's an absolute slap in the face to those athletes, many who are competing to turn their program around. It doesn't matter if you or I are entertained. Should we cut the Chess Club or the FFA at Highland because they don't entertain you enough?

High school is about learning and nurturing students to become leaders after they leave. It's definitely not about entertaining Joe Blow or making a school board or a group of athletic boosters happy. If a program has success, great, good for them. Sports aren't just about winning and losing and a school like Caston showed us all that last season. Well, everybody except for you and Muda. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AG said:

Players at losing programs are still willingly participating in the sport. It's not like anybody is forcing them to. They are still getting enjoyment out of competing. When I was in high school, I was a member of a winning program in one sport and a member of a program in another sport that didn't win a game for a couple of years. I would have been very upset if the losing program had been shuttered due to "lack of competitiveness." That's an absolute slap in the face to those athletes, many who are competing to turn their program around. It doesn't matter if you or I are entertained. Should we cut the Chess Club or the FFA at Highland because they don't entertain you enough?

High school is about learning and nurturing students to become leaders after they leave. It's definitely not about entertaining Joe Blow or making a school board or a group of athletic boosters happy. If a program has success, great, good for them. Sports aren't just about winning and losing and a school like Caston showed us all that last season. Well, everybody except for you and Muda. 

Sorry but I strongly disagree.  There are many schools around the state that do not offer several sports, including wrestling, soccer, softball, track,  swimming , cross country, etc

Those sports are  not on the athletic menu for a variety of reasons, but primarily due to projected low participation, anticipated lack of competitiveness, or overall general apathy and lack of interest

Why should football be any different?

Why should football be considered a "guaranteed extra curricular option " when it fails to meet minimal guidelines of competitiveness as do many other sports?

ADs due not "owe" kids the right to play football.  It must be earned, paid for and supported at a level that takes it beyond a club sport level of competitiveness

10 hours ago, AG said:

Why doesn't Rossville have a tackle football program?  It's enrollment numbers are comparable to its conference and county rivals like Clinton Central and Clinton Prairie.  Why are the Rossville athletes getting their faces slapped, being denied an opportunity to compete?

And "entertainment" certainly is a factor, otherwise athletic departments wouldn't charge a gate fee.  If you want other than just the immediate family members of the players to attend a game,  you should have an entertaining, competitive product on the field.

• Like 2
  • Disdain 1

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

http://www.cannelton.k12.in.us/sportseason.aspx?season=autumn

Only boys varsity cross country.  The only fall sport offered to young men.  Why does Cannelton hate females?

I doubt Cannelton hates females, unless you know something I don't. If Cannelton offered girls Cross Country, they would offer 1 more sport for girls than boys. Title 9 works both ways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JQWL said:

I doubt Cannelton hates females, unless you know something I don't. If Cannelton offered girls Cross Country, they would offer 1 more sport for girls than boys. Title 9 works both ways.

Title IX  doesn’t necessarily require equal numbers of sports. It requires substantially equal opportunities. That’s why many colleges actually do have more women’s sports teams than men’s ... because football is all male and there are so many participants in it.

• Like 1

No football at Rossville, but a Hornet senior gets a scholarship to play esports at Trine University:  https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/04/19/rossville-student-nolan-starkey-parlays-gaming-passion-into-esports-opportunity-at-trine-university/3497676002/

Congratulations to young Mr. Starkey.  He is part of a wave of the future.

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

Title IX  doesn’t necessarily require equal numbers of sports. It requires substantially equal opportunities. That’s why many colleges actually do have more women’s sports teams than men’s ... because football is all male and there are so many participants in it.

Unless you go to Wabash where they can have as many sports as they want to take on lol. 

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, DT said:

How about paying a competitive rate?

Ultimately, that is the core root of your problem.  

You will never improve your recruiting efforts until you address the compensation issue.

Its the elephant in the room.  And everyone knows it.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, 77Jimmie said:

And some are.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2019/04/22/the-issue-with-hiring-youth-sports-referees-may-be-that-the-pay-stinks/#232881902380

Edited by Bobref

On 4/18/2019 at 2:32 PM, Knight said:

10. Is small college his goal? Or will he try to go to a division one program as a coordinator? Or is he waiting for the right MIC job to open up--Center Grove is one that comes to mind

Doesn't coach Ralph have connections to Cincinnati area?? Could Cincy be on coach's radar?

On 4/18/2019 at 1:23 PM, DT said:

4. Im glad to see that The SAC has dropped its full round robin and is opening up to non non competition.  Snider, Dwenger, Luers, Homestead are statewide brand names and will benefit from increased exposure.

When did this happen? Hadn't seen anything on this from FWA area or the SAC. Please provide source. 

19 hours ago, DT said:

Sorry but I strongly disagree.  There are many schools around the state that do not offer several sports, including wrestling, soccer, softball, track,  swimming , cross country, etc

Those sports are  not on the athletic menu for a variety of reasons, but primarily due to projected low participation, anticipated lack of competitiveness, or overall general apathy and lack of interest

Why should football be any different?

Why should football be considered a "guaranteed extra curricular option " when it fails to meet minimal guidelines of competitiveness as do many other sports?

ADs due not "owe" kids the right to play football.  It must be earned, paid for and supported at a level that takes it beyond a club sport level of competitiveness

If a school or community doesn't support a sport, it makes sense to not field said sport. If a school regularly doesn't have enough numbers to regularly field a team, think less than 15 players for football in grades 9-12, that is understandable. If numbers are decent and the school just plain struggles to have any success, the sport shouldn't be dropped.

12 minutes ago, AG said:

If a school or community doesn't support a sport, it makes sense to not field said sport. If a school regularly doesn't have enough numbers to regularly field a team, think less than 15 players for football in grades 9-12, that is understandable. If numbers are decent and the school just plain struggles to have any success, the sport shouldn't be dropped.

Please define "decent numbers" and it's relationship to the overall school enrollment and the current IHSAA primarily-enrollment based classification system.    

Would say a 4A school that only has 22-25 players on the varsity squad, with 5-6 of them playing both on offense and defense, be considered "decent numbers"?

2 hours ago, AG said:

Is that an opinion or a fact?

3 hours ago, psaboy said:

When did this happen? Hadn't seen anything on this from FWA area or the SAC. Please provide source. 

Jumped the gun.  My bad

On 4/21/2019 at 7:10 PM, JQWL said:

I want to know which schools do not offer cross country and why? 

I don't know firsthand of any schools that don't offer cross country. However I have seen quite a few schools that can't field complete teams because only two or three kids go out for the sport. The kids get to compete as individuals "Unattached" but the school doesn't have the necessary five runners to post a team score.

Myself, I wouldn't even attempt to run cross country. Any kid who does earns my admiration.

10 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Please define "decent numbers" and it's relationship to the overall school enrollment and the current IHSAA primarily-enrollment based classification system.    

Would say a 4A school that only has 22-25 players on the varsity squad, with 5-6 of them playing both on offense and defense, be considered "decent numbers"?

Like Dante said. If numbers at said 4A school, probably Frankfort, continue to drop into the teens regularly, it's time to either make a desperate and drastic change or drop the program altogether.

Simply having losing seasons is not a great reason to shutter a program. Poor success can lead to low numbers though, which can eventually lead to contraction.

On 4/21/2019 at 8:14 PM, Muda69 said:

http://www.cannelton.k12.in.us/sportseason.aspx?season=autumn

Only boys varsity cross country.  The only fall sport offered to young men.  Why does Cannelton hate females?

Serious question - does Cannelton have girls volleyball? (I'm asking because I don't know.)

If so, there's probably not enough athletes to go around to offer two fall sports to the girls.

10 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Not for a 4A school I wouldn't think. No way they could be competitive at the 4A level.

Unless maybe the 4A school can bring in an ambitious new head coach who can increase the numbers and build the program. Possible argument against contraction? 😜

Now for a 1A school with <250 enrollment maybe that's all you can get.

14 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I am not sure I understand what I am reading. Why would people on a high school football website advocate for schools getting rid of their football teams? Is there not a soccer website you can go on and talk about getting rid of football and the best way to slice oranges for the treat bags while also making sure to discourage masculinity for soccer players?

He does it just to get a response. He was gone for a few months. His mom must've put him back on her data plan.

• Haha 2
  • Disdain 1