• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley
Sign in to follow this  
DK_Barons

Becoming an official?

Question

How does one get started if they want to become an official? 

Is there still time to get involve for the upcoming season?

2 answers to this question

Somebody had asked this question in the past couple months. I gave a long answer, but I can't seem to find the discussion.

The short version is it is not too late, but you need to start soon. The first thing is to register with the IHSAA. They will send you the rule books and instructions on how to take the test online. I would guess you have until late August to do that. You will likely not work varsity games your first year, but it's always possible. Some local associations have training classes for new officials. The IOA (Indianpaolis-area) is already halfway through so you may not be able to join it. I would connect with a local official to help you prepare for the exam. Then it comes down to networking to get on schedules for youth leagues and sub-varsity games.

Reach out to any of us on this board and we can point you in the right direction.

Not too late.  

Follow the instructions Bison gave to become licensed.  No training classes I know of up in this part of the state (there was 5-10 years ago).  I would be happy to help get you started, introduce you to the local officials association and get you a meeting schedule.  The local associate is a good way to discuss officiating, network with other officials and pick up some lower level games for the 2016 season.

Message me if you would like some help getting started.