Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Video review - proper spot after catch?

Thanks, Bobref. I wasn't sure. I was almost certain that was the rule at other levels, but I know there are often differences in high school rules. 

Context:

The ball was spotted at the 17yd line. The line to gain was the 16yd line. It was 4th down with maybe 3min remaining in the 4th quarter. The possessing team was down 6 points. 

I had a KO (not grounded) by K, caught in the air by K, tonight which was adjudicated as Kick Catch Interference without an R player within the perview of anything...

After stepping off an additional 15 yards for the penalty....As it should be interpreted.as a "fair catch" by R... then penalized. 

I almost felt like I needed security to even give the proper signal.   Ugh...   

Edited by Yuccaguy

7 hours ago, TheLip2 said:

Thanks, Bobref. I wasn't sure. I was almost certain that was the rule at other levels, but I know there are often differences in high school rules. 

Context:

The ball was spotted at the 17yd line. The line to gain was the 16yd line. It was 4th down with maybe 3min remaining in the 4th quarter. The possessing team was down 6 points. 

This type of play is a favorite on officiating quizzes, although the play situation usually has the receiver going airborne in the end zone, catching the ball, and then he is driven back into the field of play and goes to the ground at the 2 yd. line. That’s a TD because the furthest point of the ball at the time of the contact was in the end zone. Same thing here. 

What game was this?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I had a KO (not grounded) by K, caught in the air by K, tonight which was adjudicated as Kick Catch Interference without an R player within the perview of anything...

After stepping off an additional 15 yards for the penalty....As it should be interpreted.as a "fair catch" by R... then penalized. 

Had one like this last year in the Harrison-Kokomo game, except it was a crossfield kick.  Harrison kicker lined up on right hash, kicked the ball all the way, sky-kick fashion, to opponent's 45 or so on the opposite side of the field about 2-3 yards from the sideline.  Perfect kick ... right into the arms of Harrison's gunner.  Everyone in the stands went nuts thinking it was Harrison's ball on a perfectly executed crossfield kick ... I just shook my head because I knew what was coming.  Not only was it Kokomo's ball, but with the additional 15 yard penalty tacked on since the gunner caught it in the air before it touched the receiving team or the ground.  It was a shame because it really did look well-executed except for that little nugget on kickoffs with the sky-kick component.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Had one like this last year in the Harrison-Kokomo game, except it was a crossfield kick.  Harrison kicker lined up on right hash, kicked the ball all the way, sky-kick fashion, to opponent's 45 or so on the opposite side of the field about 2-3 yards from the sideline.  Perfect kick ... right into the arms of Harrison's gunner.  Everyone in the stands went nuts thinking it was Harrison's ball on a perfectly executed crossfield kick ... I just shook my head because I knew what was coming.  Not only was it Kokomo's ball, but with the additional 15 yard penalty tacked on since the gunner caught it in the air before it touched the receiving team or the ground.  It was a shame because it really did look well-executed except for that little nugget on kickoffs with the sky-kick component.

Exactly what I had last night!   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I think I know where to watch this one.

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

This type of play is a favorite on officiating quizzes, although the play situation usually has the receiver going airborne in the end zone, catching the ball, and then he is driven back into the field of play and goes to the ground at the 2 yd. line. That’s a TD because the furthest point of the ball at the time of the contact was in the end zone. Same thing here. 

What game was this?

What about receiver clearly catches ball in air inside the out of bounds but is driven out of bounds before feet come down in bounds ?

15 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

Okay...what I dont know is how far inbound does the catch have to be to call it a completion ? Nothing else changes !

If he doesn’t get a foot down, it’s incomplete. The only exception is if the defensive player actually carries the receiver out of bounds, so that his progress was clearly stopped in the field of play. 

• Like 2

In real-time this play looks to be a catch and first down at the 15.  But when you slow it down and look closely, the receiver lost control of the ball at impact and didn't re-gain control until the 16-17 yardline.  The official's judgement was a catch on the 17.... see still frames below.

image.png.a47b34b3d9c6d9c19959bc44613646b4.png    image.png.1029506d3e1a22425a64f81c3c2237c8.png   image.png.becfc29c2c45937d48d4ea76a83ee398.png   image.png.0d73e2181bc116188ad62dc9998106ab.png   image.png.6042cb502f8c4c2b92f62f0b560a010e.png

I know this doesn't make my friends in Lburg happy, but it truly was the right call.  

Now the ending of this game....maybe a whole different story. Not sure what the HS rules are for the clock stoppage at change of possessions. QB knelt on 4th down with 1.7 on the clock, but officials called game over.  Should the other team get one play with at 1-sec on the clock?

image.thumb.png.feb21d96370c2e6c24e2023c19ca0326.png

39 minutes ago, troyfan said:

In real-time this play looks to be a catch and first down at the 15.  But when you slow it down and look closely, the receiver lost control of the ball at impact and didn't re-gain control until the 16-17 yardline.  The official's judgement was a catch on the 17.... see still frames below.

image.png.a47b34b3d9c6d9c19959bc44613646b4.png    image.png.1029506d3e1a22425a64f81c3c2237c8.png   image.png.becfc29c2c45937d48d4ea76a83ee398.png   image.png.0d73e2181bc116188ad62dc9998106ab.png   image.png.6042cb502f8c4c2b92f62f0b560a010e.png

I know this doesn't make my friends in Lburg happy, but it truly was the right call.  

Now the ending of this game....maybe a whole different story. Not sure what the HS rules are for the clock stoppage at change of possessions. QB knelt on 4th down with 1.7 on the clock, but officials called game over.  Should the other team get one play with at 1-sec on the clock?

image.thumb.png.feb21d96370c2e6c24e2023c19ca0326.png

Can you tell me at what point in the game the pass play occurred? I’d like to look at the Hudl video. The video I saw was of very poor quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, troyfan said:

I have a 77" OLED 4k monitor. I saw nothing that indicates that the receiver lost control. I will admit that the video isn't super clear, I can't tell you he wasn't losing control, but I don't see any evidence he was either.

The kneel down wasn't even controversial so I didn't mention it. Just wrong. There is no excuse either since I believe there is a horn.

22 hours ago, TheLip2 said:

I have a 77" OLED 4k monitor. I saw nothing that indicates that the receiver lost control. I will admit that the video isn't super clear, I can't tell you he wasn't losing control, but I don't see any evidence he was either.

The kneel down wasn't even controversial so I didn't mention it. Just wrong. There is no excuse either since I believe there is a horn.

TL2 the kneel down was why K and the staff went berserk at the end of the game....They believed they should have gotten one more play.

As far as where the ball was caught, lets wait to see if BR gets to view the tapes....I didn't use a 75" OLED 4K monitor rather my 27" simple pc monitor and slowed the video down to 1/4 speed and IMO he bobbled the ball at impact. 

Stinky, Stink, Stink 1.2..3...

C3 better be glad the Tigers played like crap or the Bullpups would be home watching.

Stink was buzzed off of Tiger and Bulldog BL's and still could tell the spot was bad as hell!

Time on the clock, yes sir there should have been, but it should have never come down to that in the end.

Stink will cheer for the Dawgs hard his week, but they better open it up or HH will turn that "Z" into a "L" at the end of the week!

EIAC Teams FOREVER - Whatever that Conference is called NEVER!