Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 6 championship game: Cathedral at Lawrence North

7 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Cathedral had better not overlook the Wildcats. 

I doubt they will since Coach Peebles is very familiar with them from Coaching at Lawrence Central and his comments on broadcasts about both Lawrence schools being athletic and talented. Even without overlooking them Lawrence North will present some difficult challenges with their WR's vs Cathedral's DB's. Should be a very good game and honestly could be a coin flip game.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I doubt they will since Coach Peebles is very familiar with them from Coaching at Lawrence Central and his comments on broadcasts about both Lawrence schools being athletic and talented. Even without overlooking them Lawrence North will present some difficult challenges with their WR's vs Cathedral's DB's. Should be a very good game and honestly could be a coin flip game.

Yeah if Cathedral doesn't get pressure and their QB has time to throw the ball downfield, this will come down to the wire. 

On 10/30/2023 at 6:45 AM, temptation said:

Which LN shows up?

They may be (too lazy to look it up) the only program to lose a contest by 40+ points (vs BD) one week and win one by 40+ points (vs WC) the next.

I don't know which LN shows up, but I remember in 1990 LCC played Indy Park Tudor the last game of the season on Sat. October 13 and lost 23-0.  LCC then played Indy Park Tudor on Friday October 19 in the first round of sectionals and beat them 28-0.  You just never know!

Well, it wasn't a track meet, but it was a strange game.  Lots of things that coaches love to gripe about happened tonight on both sides.  I didn't understand the Irish kickoffs, which were all basic onside kicks.  LN had the ball deep in Irish territory all night it seemed but they only scored the first 3 points of the game.  Jalen Bonds, Irish Junior RB was the star of the game.  I haven't seen the stats but he rushed for well more than 200 yards, and they were tough yards.  More in the morning.

6 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Well, it wasn't a track meet, but it was a strange game.  Lots of things that coaches love to gripe about happened tonight on both sides.  I didn't understand the Irish kickoffs, which were all basic onside kicks.  LN had the ball deep in Irish territory all night it seemed but they only scored the first 3 points of the game.  Jalen Bonds, Irish Junior RB was the star of the game.  I haven't seen the stats but he rushed for well more than 200 yards, and they were tough yards.  More in the morning.

My guess is it was too windy to try and hit the endzone and the 2 return men for Lawrence North were very fast (I believe one of them Track State champion in the hurdles) likely didn't want to kick to the speed threats. 

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Seems rumors of Cathedral’s step back may have been exaggerated..

Next Friday should be a classic.

I hadn't felt they stepped back through the season. Offensively they have been very good and got better as the WR's began to gel with QB1 and their RB continued to get better. Defensively they have been very solid against the run, but the secondary has had their struggles. Last night they played terrific defensively all together and the secondary stepped up to play well. 

Ben Davis will be a challenge for their secondary too. There were a few I would say questionable calls last night that kind of stumped me while watching the game. Specifically the targeting call, the onside kick that was touched by a return team player and called illegal touching by the kicking team, I will give the benefit of the doubt on the safety / fumble recovery TD / forward pass (it  definitely was not a Fumble Recovery for TD because the knee went down, was dificult for me to see if he actually tried to throw the ball).

Jalen Bonds, 32 carries for 261 yards, was BIG!  He kept the chains moving all night.  It was good to see Danny O'Neil airing it out last night.  He didn't need to throw the ball much, with Bonds having the best night of his career, but when he needed to drill it for a first down, it was there.  And you can't say too much about the Irish defense!  They came up with the big plays when they needed to!

The officiating was strange last night, to say the least.

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Jalen Bonds, 32 carries for 261 yards, was BIG!  He kept the chains moving all night.  It was good to see Danny O'Neil airing it out last night.  He didn't need to throw the ball much, with Bonds having the best night of his career, but when he needed to drill it for a first down, it was there.  And you can't say too much about the Irish defense!  They came up with the big plays when they needed to!

The officiating was strange last night, to say the least.

With those type of numbers maybe Cathedral can finish the job that Brownsburg couldn’t if they get the lead next weekend…though I still haven’t let Peebles off the hook for the CG debacle a couple of years ago.

16 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

My guess is it was too windy to try and hit the endzone and the 2 return men for Lawrence North were very fast (I believe one of them Track State champion in the hurdles) likely didn't want to kick to the speed threats.

Why not just kick it out of bounds then? LN started in plus territory 3 different times (on top of a failed fake punt) because of it? Not going to get away with that against Ben Davis.

21 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Why not just kick it out of bounds then? LN started in plus territory 3 different times (on top of a failed fake punt) because of it? Not going to get away with that against Ben Davis.

The strategy was strange but It worked.  It was like Ali and in his rope-a-dope days in a ways.  The Coach had faith in this defense and the Irish are advancing.  Whether it works for the BD game, we'll just have to see what Coach Peebs has u his sleeve.  The game also reminded me of the Papa Joe Dezelan days, when running the ball and stout defense won a lot of games.

On 11/4/2023 at 10:31 PM, Footballking16 said:

Honestly they had recovered 5 out of 6 onside kicks prior to that game. One of them against LN should have been Cathedral ball as a LN player touched it and Cathedral recovered but were called for illegal touching. Punting I would have rather seen their QB back their as he sometimes does the quick punt. The execution wasn't there. Against Ben Davis I doubt you would see them onside kick every time their kicker can hit the end zone but has been inconsistent with it. In HS football kicking out of bounds only happens when you don't want to it seems, also the receiving team can elect to have the kicking team re-kick it each time.