Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2024 Season

I was surprised to read in the article about the new Goshen Coach that they didn't field either a Freshmen or a JV team last year. 

They are the 2nd largest school in the NLC. Makes sense they would hire a coach with a recruiting back ground.

NorthWood had all three levels last year.  Out of curiosity...NorthWood allowed the freshmen team to practice with the upperclassmen throughout the playoffs if they chose to and travel with the team.  Do other schools do the same?  With NW going to State, that may be a once and a life time opportunity to be on a professional field.  Also, you can tell on NorthWood who the freshmen are by the lack of decals on their helmets. 

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

NorthWood had all three levels last year.  Out of curiosity...NorthWood allowed the freshmen team to practice with the upperclassmen throughout the playoffs if they chose to and travel with the team.  Do other schools do the same?  With NW going to State, that may be a once and a life time opportunity to be on a professional field.  Also, you can tell on NorthWood who the freshmen are by the lack of decals on their helmets. 

This is very common.  And keep in mind, because of IHSAA rules, even though they stay out for practice...they may not be able to dress for the games.  If you have a deep playoff run this can give your Frosh almost an extra half season of practice.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2024 at 7:43 AM, 00NWP said:

As @US31 stated - very common. I think Freshman schedules have since changed these days, but back when I played, I swear it went Frosh game Thursday night, Varsity game Friday night, JV game Saturday morning against the same team. And I'm pretty sure I remember playing Concord as a Freshman, our season being completed, but then practicing an extra week with the Varsity team the week they played their sectional game. However, I think only a few freshman actually dressed for the game (I did not as I remember sitting in the stands watching the game).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

but back when I played, I swear it went Frosh game Thursday night, Varsity game Friday night, JV game Saturday morning against the same team. 

That's how I remember it in the Early/Mid 90's.  In the old days in Indy, it was Varsity Friday, and JV & Frosh played on Monday's.  I hated this as a coach, and glad is has changed for the most part.

In Indy metro (especially HCC), this has become the most common...

• Friday = Varsity
  • Saturday AM = JV & Frosh (JV is opposite location as Varsity, Frosh is same location as Varsity). 
    • Extra bonus if both teams have enough common sense to just have JV kids wear the same color Uni's as varsity did the night before...you don't have to do an additional uniform handout Saturday AM.

I like having the entire "week" over on Saturday, the whole program is done with that opponent and ready to move on to next week's team by about noon on Saturday.  Only minus is having the ability for your higher perfroming frosh play two quareters with Varsity.  Back in the 90's a lot of NLC schools would let a few of the "better" frosh play one or two quarters on Saturday with the JV (since the Frosh had played Thursday).

Edited by US31

On 1/10/2024 at 12:53 PM, Coach Lou said:

Any word on Wawasee?

Also now that Goshen has a head coach any word on staff changes there? I know coach Wogomon brought in a number of assistants two years ago including O.C. and D.C. and Associate Head Coach.

Heard Elkhart won't make many changes having hired from with in.

3 of the 12 coaches that were on staff are still with the program as far as I know. New Coach has his work cut out for him. 

On 1/11/2024 at 7:10 AM, Coach Lou said:

I was surprised to read in the article about the new Goshen Coach that they didn't field either a Freshmen or a JV team last year. 

They are the 2nd largest school in the NLC. Makes sense they would hire a coach with a recruiting back ground.

hard to field a Freshman or JV when you only have 39 kids in playing football. Hell, it's hard to hold a competitive practice. 

• Like 1

Hard to believe that a school with 2000 kids can only field 39 kids for a football team. I know coach Wogomon said a lot f kids quit right before the season.

Probably why the new coaches history of being a recruiting coordinator was a plus for him getting the job.

12 coaches is a lot for only 39 players.

Won't the new head coach be allowed to hire his own staff like Wogomon was?

22 hours ago, WawaseeFan22 said:

I was told that no members that Wogoman brought with him from Northridge are allowed to come back.  Apparently, there was some issues on sidelines with them.

People may know more than I do but I'm not so sure it was on the sidelines as much as it was off the field. All a great bunch of dudes. Very loyal to Wogs and their program.  

22 hours ago, WawaseeFan22 said:

Goshen was the only school to not field a true freshman team last year.

With numbers the way they are, that may be the case for a couple years. Incoming Freshman class is pretty big if they all participate. BUT, a lot of varsity guys have moved on. Gonna be interesting to see how this works out. 

These Varsity Guys you say that have moved on, wouldn't that be a big focus of the new head coach to get them to come back out.

I read where Goshen was able to start him as a teacher right after the holidays which I would think is a big plus for next year getting him in the building that quickly.

16 hours ago, Coach Lou said:

These Varsity Guys you say that have moved on, wouldn't that be a big focus of the new head coach to get them to come back out.

I read where Goshen was able to start him as a teacher right after the holidays which I would think is a big plus for next year getting him in the building that quickly.

Hard to target when they've switched schools. Getting him into the building as quickly as possible is huge. He has a LOT of work to do getting kids to buy in. 

2 hours ago, Coach Lou said:

I would think with 2000 kids at Goshen high School he would have some kids to target and encourage into playing.

Hopefully they give him more time than the last coach.

I agree with this.

Further, I would argue the issues with Goshen football have not been the "quality" of the last two coaches.  The recent issues with Goshen football run way deeper than their past two HC hires.  I'm hopeful that the hiring of Coach Heck is an indicator of a change at Goshen High School.  Because the big issue is that a lot of people, for right or wrong, just don't want their kids to go to Goshen High School anymore.  Especially when more desireable options are right nearby.

Coach Wogoman & Coach Park are both good football coaches.  Coach Wogoman had success at Wawasee, and put Northridge football on the map.  Coach Park was an excellent offensive coach for a long time at Zionsville, and those were very good Zionsville teams.

Edited by US31

Coach Wogomon did have an established record of success before coming to Goshen and coach Parks is the son of a previously very successful Goshen coach.

What I don't understand is the comments about kids leaving Goshen but yet their enrollment is growing. I looked at the enrollment rankings and they are listed as the 7th largest 5A school and are 100 kids shy of Warsaw from being the largest school in the NLC.

I know here at Elkhart the enrollment has decreased some sense we went back to 1 high school.

19 hours ago, Coach Lou said:

Coach Wogomon did have an established record of success before coming to Goshen and coach Parks is the son of a previously very successful Goshen coach.

What I don't understand is the comments about kids leaving Goshen but yet their enrollment is growing. I looked at the enrollment rankings and they are listed as the 7th largest 5A school and are 100 kids shy of Warsaw from being the largest school in the NLC.

I know here at Elkhart the enrollment has decreased some sense we went back to 1 high school.

Coach Park* there is no S. It is possible to have over all numbers grow and still have kids that play football transfer out of the system, which is what is happening after this season. The number of kids that want to play football differs A LOT by class at Goshen. The last 7 years especially. 

On 1/17/2024 at 12:23 PM, Redskin7391 said:

People may know more than I do but I'm not so sure it was on the sidelines as much as it was off the field. All a great bunch of dudes. Very loyal to Wogs and their program.  

They had 3 ISHAA reports for issues on the sidelines during games.  Does not mean they are not great guys but the new coach is going to have to rebuild the entire coaching staff as well.

3 Reported IHSAA sideline issues is very concerning. 

Does sound like the new coach has a re-build project on his hands.

With his college experience I wonder if he will use any of those contacts to put together a coaching staff.

Any word on the Wawasee job?

On 1/21/2024 at 3:20 PM, WawaseeFan22 said:

They had 3 ISHAA reports for issues on the sidelines during games.  Does not mean they are not great guys but the new coach is going to have to rebuild the entire coaching staff as well.

I know nothing of the side line reports and what that entails. Yes, Coach Henk is going to have to get a new staff in place, Hopefully they hire a bunch of teachers who also coach. Wogs guys were all loyal to him and resigned the same time he did, plus a couple of the old school Goshen guys that've been a part of the staff for both Coach Park and Wogs have left. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 8:57 AM, Coach Lou said:

Redskins7391 you sound very connected to Goshen. 

Can you explain why kids aren't playing or transfer out?

What in your opinion can the new coach do to fix these 2 issues? 

I am very connected as a former player, parent of a player, and having coaching experience in the feeder levels.

As far as kids transferring out, Parents are tired of off field issues with other students and administrators. Tired of no support or communication. Tired of supposed gang activity and guns in the parking lot. a whole host of things that has nothing to do with the program. Not winning has a way of bringing out excuses in my opinion. 

As far as kids not playing, I think Not winning much since 2001 and the population shift has a lot to do with it. More kids are interested in playing soccer. 

As for what Coach Heck can do to fix it. #1 would have to be to get the Community AND School corporation behind him. Get out and meet people and share his vision. #2 would be to get the school corporation to make an effort to hire assistant coaches that are teachers also. I know this is tough, but they need more coaches in the buildings at all levels. #3 He's gotta figure out a way to reach the kids that don't love the sport, but could be good at it. The kids that want to play football for the love of the game are the only ones that are playing at the moment. #4 He has to win. Winning fixes everything. 

• Thanks 1