Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

LCC AT FW LUERS

Three of Luers games they won by a combined score of 6 points. Less than a touchdown. They very well could have came into this playoffs 3-6. And that's without playing two of the top teams in the SAC. I'm sorry, I'm just not going to get on board that this Luers team is the favorite in this game. I think they have better athletes at some positions than LCC, but overall both sides of the ball and special teams, I'm going with LCC. I said it once and I'll keep saying it, unless Luers does prove me wrong which they might, the two best teams in the North played each other back in week 2 of sectionals.

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Three of Luers games they won by a combined score of 6 points. Less than a touchdown. They very well could have came into this playoffs 3-6. And that's without playing two of the top teams in the SAC. I'm sorry, I'm just not going to get on board that this Luers team is the favorite in this game. I think they have better athletes at some positions than LCC, but overall both sides of the ball and special teams, I'm going with LCC. I said it once and I'll keep saying it, unless Luers does prove me wrong which they might, the two best teams in the North played each other back in week 2 of sectionals.

Hard to debate anything you just wrote. 

2 hours ago, LuersLurker said:

Fort Wayne local television has a pregrame semi state analysis.  LCC at Luers is about 9 minutes in.  Their analysis does not paint a good picture for Luers.  https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/11-13-inside-the-zone-semi-state-preview-2/  

Since the analysts mentioned New Haven as a team with passing that Luers faced, I did a little back-of-napkin check across 10 games:

• QB Rating: 113 although it was only around 60 against Luers.
  • Total passing yards:  1921
  • Comp rate: 60.1%
  • Completions per TD: 5.95
  • Longest: 87 yards
  • Picks: 5
  • New Haven averaged about 13 completions a game

LCC (through 13 games):

• QB Rating: 103.9 although was 81.5 vs. LaVille
  • Total passing yards:  2807
  • Comp rate: 62.7%
  • Completions per TD: 7
  • Longest: 81 yards
  • Picks: 10 with two against LaVille and three against Guerin
  • LCC averages about 18 completions a game

26 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Since the analysts mentioned New Haven as a team with passing that Luers faced, I did a little back-of-napkin check across 10 games:

• QB Rating: 113 although it was only around 60 against Luers.
  • Total passing yards:  1921
  • Comp rate: 60.1%
  • Completions per TD: 5.95
  • Longest: 87 yards
  • Picks: 5
  • New Haven averaged about 13 completions a game

LCC (through 13 games):

• QB Rating: 103.9 although was 81.5 vs. LaVille
  • Total passing yards:  2807
  • Comp rate: 62.7%
  • Completions per TD: 7
  • Longest: 81 yards
  • Picks: 10 with two against LaVille and three against Guerin
  • LCC averages about 18 completions a game

I'm suprized the Blue Knights rating was that high vrs Laville... they did a good job vrs the pass... + 2 picks... i think Luers will be more capable in that regard... + luers was able to put all kinds of pressure on the Bluffton QB.. Luers holding New Haven to a 60 rating appears more impressive to me... seems like Luers is quite capable of taking Lcc out of its O forcing them to go to the ground... Whats ur take on it??

30 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

It ranks up there with the dude from Liptons that said North Davies could match up with LCC in 2009

Yeah... I dont fault him for supporting his team... Lcc fans tried to tell him what was coming... maybe the best Lcc team ever... like Luers/Sheridan supporters.. having a number of outstanding teams over the yrs... it gives Lcc a solid baseline to gage outcomes...

Here is how I see this game:

1. Luers defense is pretty good unless you have quality speed

2. Luers offense is methodical in nature. They do throw the ball, but overall, ball control seems to be their thing

3. At the 2A level, Luers is more than capable of beating anyone in 2A. Things get skewed for Luers when they play 4, 5, and 6A teams that are real quality teams. Anyone that thinks Luers is overmatched against anyone in 2A is fooling themselves

I see this game as a close game that is decided by 7 points or less

Should be a great game between two Indiana football Blue Bloods.  I think we did get the 2 best teams in the North in this semi state game with Blufton being a close 3rd.  Offensive speed (Luers) vs  hard nosed D (LCC) should meet all expectations this game.  I'm not going to put ANY weight on travel for LCC as this program has made numerous trips like this in their storied past.  At the end of the night I think, as it has many times in the past, Luers strength of schedule pays off and they squeak this one out 22-21

The Blue Knights did appear to have an awakening of sorts in the Zebra game... it carried over to the Lancer game... IF the Lcc D can continue that progress vrs the Luers O ther chances r greatly improved... the longer Lcc can hang around the better.... but jus luv me a great defensive game!!

In all fairness, I don't think Luers was ready for the trucks that were about to run over them in the first two weeks of the season. Everyone still has the mentality  that the SAC should beat the NHC. This season proved that the gap has closed drastically.

That being said, if Luers played New Haven and East Noble again, I think the outcomes would be closer, but still double digit losses. If Luers wins on Friday, my thoughts are validated. But if they lose, I'm going to roll with Luers being overrated after barely squeaking through a down SAC this year.

This one is hard to predict. I want to say LCC is going to pass their way to a 10 point victory. But damn, Luers did beat Homestead. And quite frankly, if Homestead was in 2A, they would be a HEAVY favorite to win 2A

Prediction: Coin toss 

Edited by BTF

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

In all fairness, I don't think Luers was ready for the trucks that were about to run over them in the first two weeks of the season. Everyone still has the mentality  that the SAC should beat the NHC. This season proved that the gap has closed drastically.

That being said, if Luers played New Haven and East Noble again, I think the outcomes would be closer, but still double digit losses. If Luers wins on Friday, my thoughts are validated. But if they lose, I'm going to roll with Luers being overrated after barely squeaking through a down SAC this year.

This one is hard to predict. I want to say LCC is going to pass their way to a 10 point victory. But damn, Luers did beat Homestead. And quite frankly, if Homestead was in 2A, they would be a HEAVY favorite to represent the north against Lutheran. 

Luers didn't beat Homestead. And Lutheran is 1a.

2 minutes ago, jakone said:

Luers didn't beat Homestead. And Lutheran is 1a.

Already corrected the second error. Typing and thinking fast, busy day. Lost in a close one to Homestead 10-7, hence co-champions of the SAC. Either way, the game against the Spartans could have gone in either direction if memory serves me correctly.............which apparently it hasn't lately. Thanks for the corrections btw. 

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

This one is hard to predict. I want to say LCC is going to pass their way to a 10 point victory. But damn, Luers did beat Homestead. And quite frankly, if Homestead was in 2A, they would be a HEAVY favorite to win 2A

Again, Luers was flat out overmatched against East Noble and New Haven. Very good 2A team vs a really good 4A team, East Noble, and a good 4A team in New Haven. As bad as those games were, Snider and Carroll would have run wild on the Knights. Bad SAC after Snider and Carroll this year, period

Having said that, LCC is a longtime powerhouse at this level. I have Luers as a slight favorite in this game

3 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Again, Luers was flat out overmatched against East Noble and New Haven. Very good 2A team vs a really good 4A team, East Noble, and a good 4A team in New Haven. As bad as those games were, Snider and Carroll would have run wild on the Knights. Bad SAC after Snider and Carroll this year, period

Having said that, LCC is a longtime powerhouse at this level. I have Luers as a slight favorite in this game

I can't say you're wrong about any of that. Only that Luers may not have been ready for what the NHC was bringing to the table. You have to admit, the strength of the NHC took us all by surprise. 

1 minute ago, jakone said:

Just my opinion but this Luers team is the least talented Luers team on paper to make it this far.

As Komets said. Maybe a Top 15 Luers team of all time, maybe not. I'm an optimist and wish Luers well, but l'm leaning toward "maybe not." 

2 minutes ago, jakone said:

Just my opinion but this Luers team is the least talented on paper to make it this far.

My mama said Sectional 35 and 36 were down pretty bad this year. Usually you've got Eastbrook that is pretty tough and Tipton that makes some noise. Eastside was okay, but not what they have been. 2A was definitely more wide open than normal this year.

10 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Thx for the props but don't think Lcc supporters c it that way... Lcc has yet to get to State in 2A FB with some pretty good teams.... and while peeps are downplaying the Red Knight SAC title... they ignore a 3rd place finnish for Lcc in a down Hoosier... wher they got shellacked by a down WL.... 

54 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Thx for the props but don't think Lcc supporters c it that way... Lcc has yet to get to State in 2A FB with some pretty good teams.... and while peeps are downplaying the Red Knight SAC title... they ignore a 3rd place finnish for Lcc in a down Hoosier... wher they got shellacked by a down WL.... 

This is not the typical Luers juggernaut when they get to this level. Usually, they overmatch most 2A teams, I just don’t see that talent level for them this year. They work hard and play hard, but they don’t have that stud athlete like in years past. This is a more workman like team

11 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

This is not the typical Luers juggernaut when they get to this level. Usually, they overmatch most 2A teams, I just don’t see that talent level for them this year. They work hard and play hard, but they don’t have that stud athlete like in years past. This is a more workman like team

I think everyone gets that... what they dont appear to get is... Ditto for Lcc... all being equal ... that niether have a dominate team.. the Blue Knights, by enrollment alone, r at a big disadvantage in this game... not that those darn ole intangibles couldnt fall the Blue Knights way   jmho

3 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

I'm suprized the Blue Knights rating was that high vrs Laville... they did a good job vrs the pass... + 2 picks... i think Luers will be more capable in that regard... + luers was able to put all kinds of pressure on the Bluffton QB.. Luers holding New Haven to a 60 rating appears more impressive to me... seems like Luers is quite capable of taking Lcc out of its O forcing them to go to the ground... Whats ur take on it??

I'm not sure how much can be read into the New Haven game itself with Luers.  They had a 60% completion rate with 9 of 15 for 80 yards, two ints, and 1 TD.  Ripped off about 8.9 yards a catch.  Not sure they need the passing game given that they peeled off 286 yards on the ground with three TDs and averaging over 10 yards a carry.  Toss in two sacks, nine tackles for loss on defense, and a fumble recovery and it seems like passing was the least necessary part of New Haven's night.

LCC looked good on the ground in the second half.  Alternating Page and Meister seemed quite efficient for the Knights with both averaging over 5 yards a carry.  Similar running styles, but just different enough to make a difference in defensive attention.  Meister tends to remind me of a bulldozer while Page reminds me of a wrestler.  By that, I mean that Meister tends to run straight forward and plow you when he gets there.  Page, has a fullback running style to, but when he gets hit, he "feels" the contact and adjusts his roll a bit to get free or more yards.

LaVille played a fairly disciplined secondary game and that's what had them holding on early.  Once Metzger started running when flushed, they became less disciplined, in my opinion, and made some of the flushes turn into passing gains.  It also freed up the screen a bit too.  Regarding the LaVille picks, I don't want to make it sound like they were nothing, but the first one Metzger threw the ball right to the LaVille defender.  I think the closest LCC person might have been the LCC cameraman in the end zone.  The second one was a throw to a lineman or maybe a linebacker on a screen as the defender was falling forward.  Look, a pick is a pick, so I'm not discounting them, but these weren't defender-fitting-like-a-jacket picks ... these were ill-advised throw picks that seemed quite uncharacteristic for Metzger.

43 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

I think everyone gets that... what they dont appear to get is... Ditto for Lcc... all being equal ... that niether have a dominate team.. the Blue Knights, by enrollment alone, r at a big disadvantage in this game... not that those darn ole intangibles couldnt fall the Blue Knights way   jmho

Really need to find a way to bring LaRocca's west end zone to Ft. Wayne.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BendNotBreak said:

To be fair, the last times that LCC had really good teams in 2A, they had to face Tipton twice, at Tipton, in the same year losing the tourney game by 4 ... and then faced RCHS twice in the same season, at RCHS dropping semi-state by a field goal.  And that RCHS team was a once in a generation team.

17 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Enrollment numbers:

Luers 481... 20 short of 3A

Lcc 296... 82 short of the bottom of 2A

It's said.. Luers in any given yr can still give anyone in 2A a run for ther money... whic I think is true... both schools r not fielding the best of their best all time teams.... And peeps can't make up their minds who the real dog in this game is?  Really??