Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 9

12 hours ago, TransplantedPanther said:

4&9 for MD. Fiver against MD. 4&14 from 20. 

Int by Vera in EZ. Reitz ball at 20

This is where the game turned IMO.  MD lost its really strong FG kicker (#47, Marx)  before the season started and has been unable/unwilling to even attempt FGs beyond 20 yds +/- the entire year.  They had no choice but to go for 1st down on 2 different 2nd half drives when they had 4th and very long, when otherwise they might have kicked a FG. 

Goebel & Co. had a great game plan - control the clock with running game and keep the ball away from Panthers & Vera.  Unfortunately, MD came up about 4 inches short of what might have been the BIGGEST upset in the series, at least from the MD perspective.  

Props to Panthers, esp. Mr. Vera - who, if not THE BEST high school player in So Indiana this year, is certainly the most fun to watch...unless he plays for the other team.  You always hold your breath when he gets the ball because anything can happen  and often does.

On to the Playoffs where MD has fired a warning shot across the bow of Sectional 30 that they may be down but they are certainly not out - at least not yet.  Surely North Posey fans are much less certain this morning that "this is the year" they beat MD...

Good luck Panthers...hoping our west side brethren can make a deep playoff run in 4A.

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

This is where the game turned IMO.  MD lost its really strong FG kicker (#47, Marx)  before the season started and has been unable/unwilling to even attempt FGs beyond 20 yds +/- the entire year.  They had no choice but to go for 1st down on 2 different 2nd half drives when they had 4th and very long, when otherwise they might have kicked a FG. 

Goebel & Co. had a great game plan - control the clock with running game and keep the ball away from Panthers & Vera.  Unfortunately, MD came up about 4 inches short of what might have been the BIGGEST upset in the series, at least from the MD perspective.  

Props to Panthers, esp. Mr. Vera - who, if not THE BEST high school player in So Indiana this year, is certainly the most fun to watch...unless he plays for the other team.  You always hold your breath when he gets the ball because anything can happen  and often does.

On to the Playoffs where MD has fired a warning shot across the bow of Sectional 30 that they may be down but they are certainly not out - at least not yet.  Surely North Posey fans are much less certain this morning that "this is the year" they beat MD...

Good luck Panthers...hoping our west side brethren can make a deep playoff run in 4A.

Excuse me...fat finger....meant to type Sectional 40   Just noticed the annual playoff bracket shenanigans are once again in full force as NP would travel to the Bowl for the potential Match up with MD in Round 2.  

2 hours ago, MDAlum82 said:

Exactly. Wagner may have the eye-popping stats but Vera is the best player around. And there’s really no doubt about it for anyone who has seen his versatility and what he has done this season - whether it’s passing, rushing, receiving, defending, punting, returning. I think they should give Wagner 1st team QB and Vera POTY since he makes impacts at multiple positions. 

I don’t know if Mater Dei figured some things out or if they just had some magical juice for that one game, but if they can play like that, they will be a tough out in 2A. They have definitely improved since early season. If they get on a roll and happen to beat North Posey, I could see them making a run. I know Linton and Triton are tough, but they haven’t been battle tested like this MD group. Good luck to both west side schools in the playoffs!

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

Exactly. Wagner may have the eye-popping stats but Vera is the best player around. And there’s really no doubt about it for anyone who has seen his versatility and what he has done this season - whether it’s passing, rushing, receiving, defending, punting, returning. I think they should give Wagner 1st team QB and Vera POTY since he makes impacts at multiple positions. 

I don’t know if Mater Dei figured some things out or if they just had some magical juice for that one game, but if they can play like that, they will be a tough out in 2A. They have definitely improved since early season. If they get on a roll and happen to beat North Posey, I could see them making a run. I know Linton and Triton are tough, but they haven’t been battle tested like this MD group. Good luck to both west side schools in the playoffs!

Reitz is loaded. Take Vera off the Panthers they may have the same record. Take Wagner off the Bulldogs can’t say the same. Plus Wagner stats with a worse oline worse defense to put him in good positions are way better than Vera’s. I’m not sure it’s that easy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Football Fanatic said:

If Wagner didn’t have to play QB for Bosse, you would see the same versatility from him. If Bosse had another QB, Wagner would play every position on the field, including defense. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Evansville50 said:

Reitz is loaded. Take Vera off the Panthers they may have the same record. Take Wagner off the Bulldogs can’t say the same. Plus Wagner stats with a worse oline worse defense to put him in good positions are way better than Vera’s. I’m not sure it’s that easy. 

All good pts but Wagner's stats are likely better simply because Bosse literally has no other options.  Vera is one of several guys on Reitz who make big plays each game, he just happens to be the best, again IMO.  Bosse's best play is a "broken play" where Wagner's speed and ability to dodge defenders are on full display.  I would have to agree with "Dawgs" comment that if Wagner didn't have to play QB, he would be just as versatile as Vera and possibly even more dangerous.   It would be interesting to see him get the ball in space with only LBs & DBs to dodge vs the entire D.  You couldn't really go wrong with either player...