Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SAC Week 1 Recap

Hamilton Southeastern 28, Carroll 14:     The Royals wanted this game bad. They probably thought they were the better team last year and let one slip away. This game might have been closer than the score indicated. The difference on the scoreboard ended up being two interceptions for touchdowns for HSE. They also held Carroll to zero points in the red zone on one occasion. It could be one hell of a rematch in November. 

Snider 42, Warren Central 20:     With half their starters returning from a team most viewed as the best in 5A a season ago, I think we all knew this years version could be good. I think the Panthers were especially determined in the off season coming off one of the most devastating losses in Snider history last year to Valpo. Beating Warren Central by three touchdowns gives us a pretty good indication of what we can expect out of Snider in 2023. They're now viewed as the team to beat in 5A. 

Carmel 14, Homestead 7:     How bout them Spartans? Carmel, one of the better teams in 6A, normally beats them by three touchdowns or more. This game came down to a late pick six for a score. What does this tell us about Homestead? It tells me that they are still Homestead, a team that won back to back SAC titles just a few seasons ago. I'm not ready to put them up there with Carroll and Snider yet, but we have to admit that the score on Friday turned some heads. Let's see if they can turn some heads again this week against Noblesville. 

Northridge 28, North Side 13:    Not really sure what to make from this game. Would Brauntae Johnson and Jordan King have made a difference on the scoreboard? More than likely, but enough to win the game? Northridge is good, no doubt about it. But North Side can't drop these games if they want to be considered a serious 5A contender. I'm looking forward to seeing how this team matures come playoff time. They get another good test this Friday against Lawrence North. 

Brownsburg 51, Dwenger 7:     Dwenger got lit up by what could be the best team in Indiana. That being said, I'm not ready write the Saints off after being mercy ruled on Friday. There does however seem to be a sense of mediocrity at Dwenger that we haven't seen for a very long time. Expect much of the same this Friday when they play Moeller. Then a team their own size comes along in North Side. That's the game we'll find out whether or not the Saints can be a factor in 4A. 

Wayne 35, Attucks 12:     No surprise here. This game was over after the first quarter, then the Generals seemed to have slowed down. But that could have been Haydock calling off the dogs. Unfortunately Fridays game told us nothing other than Wayne is capable of winning a game they're suppose to win. If Wayne is as good as we think they could be, they should take out Northop this Friday by a few touchdowns. Then the real test against Homestead. I've been saying all along that it's just a matter of time before Haydock has this program competing for a 4A championship. Looking forward to Week 3. 

East Noble 45, Luers 7:     We kept hearing that this team was young, but they're still Luers. I get it, East Noble could be a very good football team and a contender in 4A, but I thought they'd put up more of a fight than they did. It won't get much easier this Friday against New Haven. Maybe Lindsay just needs some time for this team to come together. I'm leaning toward 'glass half full.' 

Scecina 48, Concordia 20:     This was to be expected. The Cadets are young and Scecina is a seasoned program. It doesn't get a whole lot easier this Friday against Eastbrook. I have tons of faith in Mannigel. It may not happen this season, but the Cadets will once again be a contender in 3A.

Marion 22, South Side 17:     The Archers dropped a heartbreaker to Marion, but it shows that this team has some life. Coach Goodwell won't have South Side competing for and SAC title anytime soon, but if he can get the players to buy in and give them some confidence, then they can win a few games this season. Honestly, I have them down for four winnable games at this point. That would match their win total for the last four seasons. Stay tuned. 

• Thanks 1

Thoughts on SAC Week 1

• Huge Statement win by Snider, no matter what Warren ends up being this season, going on the road and winning in the dominant fashion that they did really puts 5A on notice. Interested to see how Carroll looks against WC as we look ahead to the Week 5 Snider-Carroll matchup

• Speaking of Carroll, I don't think there is any reason to panic after the loss this week. HSE is a tough environment and they were fueled by revenge. For recruiting purposes though, hopefully Jimmy can look a little sharper moving forward.

• Homestead taking Carmel to the brink was a pleasant surprise. Seems like the Spartans are better than what I and many others gave them credit for in the preseason

• Heard North Side looked sloppy on Friday, poor execution, lack of adjustments, new QB struggled. Was told King and Johnson wouldn't have made up the gap as Northridge just played a simple disciplined system. A tough matchup ahead for the Legends against LC

• I'm withholding all judgement on this Dwenger team until Week 3 vs North. I'm not sure there is a Saints team in the last 7/8 years that would have beaten Brownsburg. The '18 and '19 teams probably would have been more competitive. Lots of groaning in the stands with fans wondering why these first two opponents were scheduled. I can understand the sentiment but also think its better to play up than schedule two cupcakes.

• Luers get whomped was not something I saw coming. Seeing how they look against New Haven and EN looks against Snider will help give me a better idea on what to think of the Knights

• I know moral victories aren't what you play for, but South losing a close game is a positive sign. Playing competitive games will help long term, especially towards the back end of their schedule where more winnable games sit.

• Wayne did its job against Attucks and picked up the rare W for the SAC. Should pick up another win this week against Northrop

• Northrop and Concordia don't have each other on their schedules this year and I could see both teams going 0-10. I'm more optimistic on what I've seen and heard from South Side compared to these two teams

Bring on Week 2!