Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mr. Football 2023

11 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

I’m the same when bell or karaliftis didn’t win, it’s a joke 

Outside of Rex Grossman, Darren Evans, Jaylon Smith, and Terry McLaurin not too many Indiana Mr. Football award winners have made it to the NFL. Jaylon Smith and Terry McLaurin have had the biggest impact in the NFL.

George Karlaftis and David Bell are in the NFL now. Jack Kiser is playing as a 5th year Sr at Notre Dame and we shall see if he will be joining them in the NFL. 

29 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Outside of Rex Grossman, Darren Evans, Jaylon Smith, and Terry McLaurin not too many Indiana Mr. Football award winners have made it to the NFL. Jaylon Smith and Terry McLaurin have had the biggest impact in the NFL.

George Karlaftis and David Bell are in the NFL now. Jack Kiser is playing as a 5th year Sr at Notre Dame and we shall see if he will be joining them in the NFL. 

This is before I actually paid attention to Mr. Football, but was Drue Tranquill out of Carroll considered for the award?

5 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

This is before I actually paid attention to Mr. Football, but was Drue Tranquill out of Carroll considered for the award?

No he was not. He would have been 2013 class and here were the Position Award winners (see below). McLaurin was a no brainer that year with his WR, RB, DB and Kick/Punt Returns.

image.png.0dd53e6a289747845c7d1d7185ef9717.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

What did he say that was incorrect?  

Oh, nothing.

47 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Not sure what retroactively looking backwards as to what players did after high school has to do with anything.  

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Because you guys are so predictable.  Your responses were right on queue.

I believe your colleague called it “fishing with dynamite” in another thread.

Its just so easy.

You mean the response where I pointed out your fallacy?

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

What did he say that was incorrect?  

He throws out his theories, then when nobody backs them up he pretends somebody did.  It's much easier than admitting he was wrong.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Russ Yeast DB (Rams) 26 Games / 10 Starts / 42 Tackles (35 Solo) / 2 PDef

Pete Werner LB (Saints) 38 Games / 30 Starts / 135 Tackles (121 Solo) / 0.5 Sack / 4 PDef / 1 Int

Oh come on.  Are you really comparing the stats of a DB vs. a LB?

38 minutes ago, Grover said:

Oh come on.  Are you really comparing the stats of a DB vs. a LB?

I wasn't comparing any stats between a DB and LB or between Yeast or Werner. I showed both of their stats backing up my statement "From that class of Mr. Football candidates Russ Yeast for Rams (Center Grove) and Pete Werner for Saints (Cathedral) are the only 2 really doing anything in the NFL"

Didn't expect there would be an issue with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Not sure what retroactively looking backwards as to what players did after high school has to do with anything.  

My point was. Many get up at arms about Indiana Mr. Football (there is also a Gatorade Player of the Year nominated). Outside of 4 of the players that won Mr. Football since 1992 not many have gone on to the NFL. Therefor winning Indiana Mr. Football doesn't impact if they will or won't go to the highest level. Been plenty of players that didn't catch a sniff as even a position award go on to the NFL and be productive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grover said:

You mean the response where I pointed out your fallacy?

He throws out his theories, then when nobody backs them up he pretends somebody did.  It's much easier than admitting he was wrong.

Nah, I said 6A slappies would chime in and within hours the CG mafia was sharing their thoughts...

Palm of my hand I tell ya...

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, BTF said:

So Mylan Graham then. Not even close going by that measurement. Of course, I'm sure there's been linemen who've had the most impressive rating and offer list who've been passed over in the past. 

I think it's hard to ignore what Fabio Ringer has done. His stats are off the charts. I wanna say 2700 yards rushing, 50+ touchdowns, and over 10 yards per carry. Two straight championships. And a not too shabby three star rating on 247. I could role with him being Mr. Football. 

I voted for Blake Fisher a few years ago, I thought he was the most dominant player I saw 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I voted for Blake Fisher a few years ago, I thought he was the most dominant player I saw 

Was he even close to being nominated? Kudos to you for giving a lineman an opportunity. "Thanks guys for protecting us, but we'll collect the trophies." Not that skill players say that, but it's almost how linemen are looked upon with regard to Mr. Football and the Heisman. 

The process works like this, I want to say this is going on the 4th year of it, I think.    You make Top 50, Then you are voted by the 9 positions amongst the top 50, or vice versa, that part really doesn't matter, there will be a vote to name a position award winner.  Once all 9 have been named winners of the individual award, every single coach who is a member state of Indiana's IFCA, will get an email ballot and get a vote.   That year, when I got my ballot, I chose Blake Fisher.  

17 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

I’m the same when bell or karaliftis didn’t win, it’s a joke 

So the kid who won it who was multiple state champ, 3rd all-time scorer, top 5 all-time rusher, 3-yr starter at top 15 power 5 school at a defensive position he never played in high school and will play in the league as well makes it a joke. 

Yikes. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

So the kid who won it who was multiple state champ, 3rd all-time scorer, top 5 all-time rusher, 3-yr starter at top 15 power 5 school at a defensive position he never played in high school and will play in the league as well makes it a joke. 

Yikes. 

I would not say a joke but we had the debate that year on this very forum as to whether or not it was a career award and it seems that obviously you think it is.

I had no trouble with Kiser getting it for what it is worth but if it a senior only award, I believe only senior year performances should be considered by voters.

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

I would not say a joke but we had the debate that year on this very forum as to whether or not it was a career award and it seems that obviously you think it is.

I had no trouble with Kiser getting it for what it is worth but if it a senior only award, I believe only senior year performances should be considered by voters.

please tell me you would not of advocated Jack Kiser his SENIOR year to have played every single down on offense ?   That team was SO GOOD and he played very little in 2nd halves that year.   

9 minutes ago, ragdoll said:

Doubt a defensive player or lineman will ever win this award again. Barzilauskas was too well known, dwarfing the competition (literally), and it was 30 years ago. 

Bowen, nationally ranked LB won it last year 

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

please tell me you would not of advocated Jack Kiser his SENIOR year to have played every single down on offense ?   That team was SO GOOD and he played very little in 2nd halves that year.   

Bowen, nationally ranked LB won it last year 

Nope.  But competition matters.

Fair or not, it’s a beauty pageant.

Edited by temptation

Here is the best part, Coaches can see a guy like Kiser (1a)  and Bowen (2a) and look past classification of the player and vote accordingly to the players skills/stats, etc vs being disqualified because they played at a smaller school.  

I believe this because perhaps a fact that many may not remember considering it was almost 20 years now, but back in 2005, RCHS had a QB who finished 3rd in Mr. Football voting.   We lost a heartbreaker in OT in 2a Regional to Jimtown.    Coaches knew how talented he was, I contend if we could of got that Regional win and finished it off by beating North Posey like Jimtown did in 2005 2a State Finals, other coaches would of seen Jake Kiger put on the show in front of the entire state and maybe garnered more votes.   alas, we shall never know 

I believe that is how Daniel Wodika won at West Lafayette,  dude was UNREAL, then he put on a show at 3a State Finals for WL and boom, Mr. Football 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I would say his Senior statistics were pretty good

Passing - 62 of 94 for 1,183 yds. 18 TD's 2 Int

Rushing - 177 Carries 2,109 yds. 44 TD

Defense - 159 Tackles 8.5 TFL 7 Int's 5 Fum Recoveries

Also had some kickoff and punt return yards as well as punted and kicked off a few times.

18 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I would say his Senior statistics were pretty good

Passing - 62 of 94 for 1,183 yds. 18 TD's 2 Int

Rushing - 177 Carries 2,109 yds. 44 TD

Defense - 159 Tackles 8.5 TFL 7 Int's 5 Fum Recoveries

Also had some kickoff and punt return yards as well as punted and kicked off a few times.

Yep.  Was fine with him winning…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Yikes. 

Ok let’s see how high he gets drafted I’m just saying karalfitis and bell are better I never he said he was a bad player 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Ok let’s see how high he gets drafted I’m just saying karalfitis and bell are better I never he said he was a bad player 

I don't thing how high he gets drafted will mean anything. Some examples Robert Mathis was a 5th Rd 138th pick from Alabama A&M, Tom Brady 6th Round 199th pick.