Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mid-State Week 5

POWER RANKINGS

1. Plainfield (4-0)

The Quakers have undoubtedly looked like the best team in the Mid-State so far. They thrive in the clutch and have a strong running game which could carry them through 5A. If the Quakers play to their potential, they could be in Lucas Oil come November.

2. Franklin Community (3-1)

Despite the loss to Mt. Vernon, Franklin has looked like a good team. They have strong wins over Whiteland and Perry Meridian. Franklin has performed better than I expected them to this year.

3. Whiteland (2-2)

Whiteland is not the contender that they were last year, but they should still compete for their sectional championship and finish the rest of the season pretty strong. Their rematch with Franklin should be a good one.

4. Perry Meridian (1-3)

They may have the worst record in the conference, but don't be mistaken: this Perry Meridian team is different from the Perry teams of years past. They only trailed Franklin Central by 9 points entering the 4th quarter, lost to Plainfield by one point, and took Franklin Community to overtime. The Falcons were only a few plays away from 3-1 or possibly even 4-0.

5. Decatur Central (2-2)

The Polston-less Hawks had an embarrassing loss to Martinsville on Friday night, but when Polston comes back, this Decatur team should take a step forward. We have seen what this team can do if they play to their potential, and this is evidenced by their 43-42 win over New Palestine in Week 2.

6. Mooresville (2-2)

The Pioneers took a step back this year, and I think that 6th is an appropriate ranking for them. Their QB Denny is a very strong running QB, but Mooresville's offense outside of Denny's legs is questionable against better competition. They hung 59 points on Greenwood's bad defense, but managed 15 (8 coming from a garbage time TD) against Plainfield.

7. Greenwood (3-1)

Don't let their 3-1 record fool you: Greenwood is still very much Greenwood, and this was evidenced by their loss against Mooresville. The defense averages 41 points per game, so their offense would need great performances to make up for their defensive ineptitude. This didn't happen against Mooresvillem so I don't expect it to happen against Plainfield, Franklin, Perry Meridian, or Whiteland either.

8. Martinsville (2-2)

Despite their victory over Decatur Central on Friday, I still have Martinsville in dead last. They still lost to Greenwood by 2 touchdowns. Martinsville isn't a terrible football team by any stretch of the imagination: the Mid-State is a good conference from top to bottom. However, someone had to be last, and it's the Artesians.

WEEK 5 PREDICTIONS

Plainfield 42, Greenwood 21

Franklin 27, Martinsville 13

Perry Meridian 20, Whiteland 17

Mooresville 27, Decatur Central 20

There is a ton of parity in the Mid-State Conference this year.  Last week i was very surprised by Martinsville beating Decatur Central, Franklin beating Whiteland, and Plainfield only beating Perry Meridian by 1 point.  With that being said, my picks for week 5 are:

Plainfield

Franklin

Whiteland

Mooresville

On 9/11/2023 at 8:57 AM, roaringthunderdlr said:

POWER RANKINGS

1. Plainfield (4-0)

The Quakers have undoubtedly looked like the best team in the Mid-State so far. They thrive in the clutch and have a strong running game which could carry them through 5A. If the Quakers play to their potential, they could be in Lucas Oil come November.

2. Franklin Community (3-1)

Despite the loss to Mt. Vernon, Franklin has looked like a good team. They have strong wins over Whiteland and Perry Meridian. Franklin has performed better than I expected them to this year.

3. Whiteland (2-2)

Whiteland is not the contender that they were last year, but they should still compete for their sectional championship and finish the rest of the season pretty strong. Their rematch with Franklin should be a good one.

4. Perry Meridian (1-3)

They may have the worst record in the conference, but don't be mistaken: this Perry Meridian team is different from the Perry teams of years past. They only trailed Franklin Central by 9 points entering the 4th quarter, lost to Plainfield by one point, and took Franklin Community to overtime. The Falcons were only a few plays away from 3-1 or possibly even 4-0.

5. Decatur Central (2-2)

The Polston-less Hawks had an embarrassing loss to Martinsville on Friday night, but when Polston comes back, this Decatur team should take a step forward. We have seen what this team can do if they play to their potential, and this is evidenced by their 43-42 win over New Palestine in Week 2.

6. Mooresville (2-2)

The Pioneers took a step back this year, and I think that 6th is an appropriate ranking for them. Their QB Denny is a very strong running QB, but Mooresville's offense outside of Denny's legs is questionable against better competition. They hung 59 points on Greenwood's bad defense, but managed 15 (8 coming from a garbage time TD) against Plainfield.

7. Greenwood (3-1)

Don't let their 3-1 record fool you: Greenwood is still very much Greenwood, and this was evidenced by their loss against Mooresville. The defense averages 41 points per game, so their offense would need great performances to make up for their defensive ineptitude. This didn't happen against Mooresvillem so I don't expect it to happen against Plainfield, Franklin, Perry Meridian, or Whiteland either.

8. Martinsville (2-2)

Despite their victory over Decatur Central on Friday, I still have Martinsville in dead last. They still lost to Greenwood by 2 touchdowns. Martinsville isn't a terrible football team by any stretch of the imagination: the Mid-State is a good conference from top to bottom. However, someone had to be last, and it's the Artesians.

WEEK 5 PREDICTIONS

Plainfield 42, Greenwood 21

Franklin 27, Martinsville 13

Perry Meridian 20, Whiteland 17

Mooresville 27, Decatur Central 20

Plainfield 42-28

Franklin 31-10

Whiteland 28-24

DC 24-21

8 minutes ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

This conference appears more wide open than in many years past. At least five different teams with a legitimate shot to win the league title. The coaching in this conference is at a pretty high level right now. I wont be surprised to see one of these teams making a deep run in 5A south again. 

I would love to see some representation at LOS on Thanksgiving weekend from the Mid-State again. My assumption is one of Bloomington South, Bloomington North, Harrison, Plainfield, Whiteland, DC, Franklin, or Castle will be representing the 5A south. Any of those schools can beat the other on a given night. 

23 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

There is a ton of parity in the Mid-State Conference this year.  Last week i was very surprised by Martinsville beating Decatur Central, Franklin beating Whiteland, and Plainfield only beating Perry Meridian by 1 point.  With that being said, my picks for week 5 are:

Plainfield

Franklin

Whiteland

Mooresville

Parity/mediocrity in my opinion.

Not one state title contender and the argument could be made that Plainfield and Perry are the only improved teams over last year…maybe Greenwood.

Sorry to be the wet blanket of the group.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Parity/mediocrity in my opinion.

Not one state title contender and the argument could be made that Plainfield and Perry are the only improved teams over last year…maybe Greenwood.

Sorry to be the wet blanket of the group.

I agree it's not the best conference, but someone has got to come out of 5A south this year Temp. I think the top 3-4 mid-state teams have more than a punchers chance vs the Bloomington schools.