Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 Conference Indiana (what's left of it)

31 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

The radio broadcasters called way more than 3 or 4 bad snaps  my guess was that the other snaps weren't over the qbs head and didn't result in anything than maybe a play that didn't execute very well... 

Absolutely. There were many high snaps, especially in the 2nd half, and needless to say, when your QB has to go up to grab a snap, that slows down the play which allows the defense to read/react to plays. They stuck with the kid for the entire game, so I guess they didn't have a better alternative at that moment and time. There were zero issues with the snaps in the first three games, and I have to feel that the kid was pressed into that position right at the last time and like I said, it was like he was on on-the-job training from my observation of it. He did have quite a few good snaps, but it only takes a few of those to affect a game, which it did. 

btw, WHCC 105.1 covers South/North games also and that is an alternative if Joe Smith gets hard to listen to since he has lost a step or two as a play-by-play guy. WHCC is the flagship station for the IU radio network so they didn't cover the game last Friday because of IU playing that night also. I don't know if WVNI covered the game since they still have their old schedule up on their website, but they are covering games this season.

Edited by ptr
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ptr said:

Joe Smith gets hard to listen to since he has lost a step or two as a play-by-play guy. WHCC is the flagship station for the IU radio network so they didn't cover the game last Friday because of IU playing that night also. I don't know if WVNI covered the game since they still have their old schedule up on their website, but they are covering games this season.

Joe is a nice man. i worked at the liquor store in between jobs a few years back and he on occasion would stop by for a 24 ouncer to take home . Had a nice chat with him.  However I've felt he has been off and sort of out of the loop for quite a few years . The north south game was especially bad. His co host Dave Novak corrected him one time sounding sort of ticked because of how bad Joe was doing. Hate to see a guy get that way... They need Rex Kirts to step into the play by play roll.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, ptr said:

Pick'em results for Week 4:

ptr (3-1) - 11-2

Frozen Tundra (3-1) - 10-3

LC_Bears_04 (3-1) - 10-3

Bulldog15 (2-2) - 10-3

MuleDriver (3-1) - 9-4

THPD262 (3-1) - 5-2 (Weeks 3 and 4 only)

There are four games in Week 5:

Bloomington South @ Terre Haute South

Terre Haute North @ Bloomington North

Indy Chatard @ Columbus North

Southport @ Beech Grove

Bloomington South

Bloomington North

Chatard

Southport

5 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

@ptr jv freshman scores from North south?

JV - South (4-0) won 26-13

Freshman - South (3-0-1) won 36-0

Usually, they have these game results posted by late Saturday afternoon, but, they didn't get them posted until today. 

For Mule Driver.

It looks like there won't be any streaming/radio coverage of the South @ TH South game. Indiana Sports Network - Terre Haute has their game of week being Owen Valley at Northview. Locally, WGCL is covering the TH North @ North game and the South Putnam @ Edgewood game is getting double coverage by WHCC and WCLS with both stations staying in town like WGCL. Maybe, just maybe, WVNI will make the trip back to Terre Haute to cover the Panthers' game, which they did for the South @ TH North game. WVNI still has their schedule for last season up and there is no help from the FB and X sites, but it wouldn't surprise me if they stay in town to cover the North game which promises not to be very close in what is probably an understatement. With WVNI, we probably won't know where they are going to be at until near kickoff of their game. The South football site still lists the streaming/radio coverage as TBA, and it's Thursday. 

Edited by ptr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

@ptr Tribune star gives a few free articles in a specified time period. Seems like south pass defense is lacking the braves put up 250 in the air and  think b north did as well. 

The secondary is probably the weakest area of the team, and I'm not saying it's weak, just that the strongest part of our defense is the front seven. We gave up two deep passes in the season opener against Columbus East where there was a breakdown in coverage. Offenses have been reluctant to run the ball much against the Panthers because of their front seven. 

btw, maybe you saw it, but the JV game which was to be played in Bloomington, was canceled. The freshman game in Terre Haute has been pushed back to 6 p.m. on Monday. 

Edited by ptr

3 minutes ago, ptr said:

The secondary is probably the weakest area of the team, and I'm not saying it's weak, just that the strongest part of our defense is the front seven. We gave up two deep passes in the season opener against Columbus East where there was a breakdown in coverage. Offenses have been reluctant to run the ball much against the Panthers because of their front seven. 

btw, maybe you saw it, but the JV game which was to be played in Bloomington, was canceled. The freshman game in Terre Haute has been pushed back to 6 p.m. on Monday. 

Why the cancelations and postponements? any reason? 

1 minute ago, MuleDriver said:

Why the cancelations and postponements? any reason? 

They didn't give a reason, but I suspect one of the teams may have had problems fielding a JV team because of injuries, and maybe it just one position that has been hit hard by injuries. You don't hear much about things like this unless you are close to someone on the team whether it's players or staff and their families. However, that doesn't explain the move to Monday for the freshman game. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ptr said:

They didn't give a reason, but I suspect one of the teams may have had problems fielding a JV team because of injuries, and maybe it just one position that has been hit hard by injuries. You don't hear much about things like this unless you are close to someone on the team whether it's players or staff and their families. However, that doesn't explain the move to Monday for the freshman game. 

Another reason and it might be the case, they couldn't come up with a ref crew for the game. I saw today that the Northview at TH South game next week was moved up to a Thursday game because they couldn't come up with a ref crew on Friday. 

Pick'em results for Week 5:

ptr (4-0) - 15-2

Frozen Tundra (4-0) - 14-3

LC_Bears_04 (3-1) - 13-4

Bulldog15 (3-1) - 13-4

MuleDriver (3-1) - 12-5

THPD262 (4-0) - 9-2 (Weeks 3 thru 5)

Week 6 games:

Note: The Northview @ Terre Haute South game was moved up to Thursday because of the lack of a ref crew for Friday. Picks have to be in by Thursday at 7 p.m.

Northview @ Terre Haute South (Thurs) 

Southport @ Bloomington South

Columbus North @ Terre Haute North

Bloomington North @ New Albany

My picks for Week 6:

Northview @ Terre Haute South - Of the games this week, this area rivalry game could be a little tricky to pick. While the Knights (4A No. 10 in coaches poll and 4A No. 15 in AP poll) are unbeaten and have easily won their games, the Braves have played the tougher schedule.  Both teams have played THN and easily won those games. Besides THN, the Knights (5-0) have played two 3A teams and two 2A teams with a combined record of 8-17 to include THN. I'll go with the Knights winning by 10-14 points, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Braves come out on top. 

Southport @ Bloomington South - No reason to discuss this game other than there is a very good chance of a running clock to start the 2nd half. Like with the starters, the Panthers' backups will actually need to take a shower after this game. 

Columbus North @ Terre Haute North - After playing two difficult opponents in row, the Bull Dogs won't mind the long trip to Terre Haute to play what promises to be a breather. A Chatard poster said the Bull Dogs were more competitive in their game with them than what the final score might otherwise have indicated. 

Bloomington North @ New Albany - New Albany is among one of the worst teams in the HHC this season - enough said. It's a long trip to Floyd County, but it will be a good trip back to Bloomington.

Edited by ptr

On 9/16/2023 at 7:53 PM, ptr said:

Pick'em results for Week 5:

ptr (4-0) - 15-2

Frozen Tundra (4-0) - 14-3

LC_Bears_04 (3-1) - 13-4

Bulldog15 (3-1) - 13-4

MuleDriver (3-1) - 12-5

THPD262 (4-0) - 9-2 (Weeks 3 thru 5)

Week 6 games:

Note: The Northview @ Terre Haute South game was moved up to Thursday because of the lack of a ref crew for Friday. Picks have to be in by Thursday at 7 p.m.

Northview @ Terre Haute South (Thurs) 

Southport @ Bloomington South

Columbus North @ Terre Haute North

Bloomington North @ New Albany

Terre Haute South

Bloomington South

Columbus North

Bloomington North

Hey MuleDriver, I saw where they made the center for the Panthers the "offensive player of the week," and it the same player that was at center during the North game, so I guess they got the snap problem ironed out. 

I also saw that the freshmen won their game last night at THS, 22-0, and their record goes to 4-0-1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptr said:

Hey MuleDriver, I saw where they made the center for the Panthers the "offensive player of the week," and it the same player that was at center during the North game, so I guess they got the snap problem ironed out. 

I also saw that the freshmen won their game last night at THS, 22-0, and their record goes to 4-0-1.

Yea I noticed those two things. I would prefer in modern times that they would revert back to the GameDay articles of the 90s when they listed the name of every starter at each position and their weight for both teams . I'd like to see what remains of the starters from week 1. I have a suspicion we lost another lineman but can't confirm .  

Northview 7 Terre Haute South 7 (end of 1st)

Thursday night football. The Knights scored first on a pick-6 when the THS QB stared down his receiver. THS responded after that on a game tying drive.

Edited by ptr