Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Brownsburg

32 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Game was pretty even thru halftime now it is mis-match.  Irish have some big issues to address after this game or it might be a long season.

Pretty disappointing.

Thoroughly out-coached and out-classed. Gave up a million yards and committed a million more penalties. Way to one-dimensional offensively. They’ll get better.

Edited by Footballking16

It was almost a carbon copy of last year at Brownsburg.  You just can't give breaks to a good team like Brownsburg.  A lot of penalties, dropped passes and missed open receivers ain't gonna win a lot of games.  Brownsburg is going to be tough to beat this season, but I hope the Irish get another shot at them in late October or early November!

BTW, the weather wasn't all that bad.  It was quite comfortable after the sun went down.

9 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Game was pretty even thru halftime now it is mis-match.  Irish have some big issues to address after this game or it might be a long season.

Both Brownsburg and Cathedral have work to do in the secondary on defense. The Irish need to get back to some fundamentals on tackle first then strip, many missed tackles trying to strip the ball. Offensively the Bulldogs need more consistency along the O-line they had some struggles there at times. The Irish need to be more balanced to help out their defense while they are learning. At one point they abandoned the run completely, I think their RB had 5 carries in the first half and he looks to be pretty solid. Becoming balanced will help O'Neil too.

8 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Pretty disappointing.

Thoroughly out-coached and out-classed. Gave up a million yards and committed a million more penalties. Way to one-dimensional offensively. They’ll get better.

Agreed on the one-dimensional offense. Not sure why the run was abandoned because the RB was doing okay, had like 5 carries in the first half and was getting 3 yards a pop. The 3rd quarter was brutal. The Irish defense which wasn't playing great but not terrible (in the first half aside from the secondary) could have used some help in the 3rd. Up until the last 1-2 min of the 3rd qtr the Irish offense went: series 1 2 plays (Interception on a bad decision of throwing the ball away from the back foot) Series 2 3 and out, series 3 3 and out. Defense was on the field for almost 10 minutes. Both teams have plenty to work on and get better (especially on the secondary). 

7 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

It was almost a carbon copy of last year at Brownsburg.  You just can't give breaks to a good team like Brownsburg.  A lot of penalties, dropped passes and missed open receivers ain't gonna win a lot of games.  Brownsburg is going to be tough to beat this season, but I hope the Irish get another shot at them in late October or early November!

BTW, the weather wasn't all that bad.  It was quite comfortable after the sun went down.

I think Brownsburg is very good but needs work on the secondary. Cathedral can be very good also needs work on defense and becoming more balanced. Right now I don't feel either are quite to the level of Ben Davis or Center Grove. They can be though with improvement through the season, it is a marathon not a sprint.

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Agreed on the one-dimensional offense. Not sure why the run was abandoned because the RB was doing okay, had like 5 carries in the first half and was getting 3 yards a pop. The 3rd quarter was brutal. The Irish defense which wasn't playing great but not terrible (in the first half aside from the secondary) could have used some help in the 3rd. Up until the last 1-2 min of the 3rd qtr the Irish offense went: series 1 2 plays (Interception on a bad decision of throwing the ball away from the back foot) Series 2 3 and out, series 3 3 and out. Defense was on the field for almost 10 minutes. Both teams have plenty to work on and get better (especially on the secondary).

Was a little perplexed on the end of the half game management. Cathedral up 17-14  with a little over 3 minutes left finally got a defensive stop and then had the quickest 3 and out deep in their own territory. Positive plays on 1st and 2nd and then they rush to the line on 3rd and 2 and throw a 40 yard go route. Didn’t understand that. Brownsburg went down and scored and never looked back.

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Was a little perplexed on the end of the half game management. Cathedral up 17-14  with a little over 3 minutes left finally got a defensive stop and then had the quickest 3 and out deep in their own territory. Positive plays on 1st and 2nd and then they rush to the line on 3rd and 2 and throw a 40 yard go route. Didn’t understand that. Brownsburg went down and scored and never looked back.

I noticed as well. Don't get me wrong QB1 for the Irish is very good and he will develop with his green WR's as the season goes along. Just in my opinion (take it for what it is worth as I am no guru) if the Irish get more balanced their offense will be very dangerous as those WR's come along with the QB. I feel #22 looks to be a very solid RB and just didn't understand why it seemed they completely abandoned running the ball with him. He did show some flashes in the 4th qtr. A couple of those 4th qtr drives are where the Irish offense could be. It is early in the season and they will get better. Honestly both teams will.

For right now I think BD and CG are at 1 and 2. Then Brownsburg at 3 once they shore up and improve in the secondary will be in discussion with 1 and 2. HSE, Cathedral, Lawrence Central, and Westfield throw them in a blender and whomever pops out is at 4, and I could toss Fishers in there I just need to see them against a team other than North Central or Pike. The Potential is there for the Irish, but they have some work to do, and they will get some tests on their schedule to keep checking where they stand as they improve.

Just now, FastpacedO said:

I noticed as well. Don't get me wrong QB1 for the Irish is very good and he will develop with his green WR's as the season goes along. Just in my opinion (take it for what it is worth as I am no guru) if the Irish get more balanced their offense will be very dangerous as those WR's come along with the QB. I feel #22 looks to be a very solid RB and just didn't understand why it seemed they completely abandoned running the ball with him. He did show some flashes in the 4th qtr. A couple of those 4th qtr drives are where the Irish offense could be. It is early in the season and they will get better. Honestly both teams will.

For right now I think BD and CG are at 1 and 2. Then Brownsburg at 3 once they shore up and improve in the secondary will be in discussion with 1 and 2. HSE, Cathedral, Lawrence Central, and Westfield throw them in a blender and whomever pops out is at 4, and I could toss Fishers in there I just need to see them against a team other than North Central or Pike. The Potential is there for the Irish, but they have some work to do, and they will get some tests on their schedule to keep checking where they stand as they improve.

I say it every year about Brownsburg…I need to see it in October/November.

The Bulldogs have multiple August state titles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RLS1 said:

Why is every game in this series at Brownsburg?

From what I know, there are certain high schools that absolutely refuse to play at Arlington with Brownsburg being one of those.  So it can be assumed Irish prefer to keep high profile game on the road vs. playing lesser opponent at home.

In the past Cathedral has hosted home games at Butler Bowl, Marian College, etc. but they have to pay to do that and other option is Tech but only if the field is available.

It is what it is!

The grass field at Arlington is as well kept as possible.  Unless it rains it's still a fast track, or it seems to be for the Irish anyway.

I'm working from memory, but the one turning point happened at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.  The Irish defense holds the Bulldogs to 3 and out, and on the first play Danny O'Neil runs for 8 yards.  Instead of going for the first down, O'Neil throws two long passes that had very little chance of completion.  It seemed like the 3rd quarter went downhill for the Irish after that.  The Irish have two good running backs, Jalen Bonds and Desare Thomas, but they only had about 10 carries between 'em last night.  And the game scheme was quite basic, not much misdirection, if any.  I was surprised at that.  And it seemed that O'Neil had time to throw all night, but just wasn't seeing the field well.  He threw more into double, or even triple, coverage more than I've ever seen him.

After all that, I believe both teams will be a factor come playoff time.  

On 8/26/2023 at 6:51 AM, FastpacedO said:

After watching the replay, this all makes sense...